Better Advertising...

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Better Advertising...

Postby PaleRider » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:27 pm

hmmm interesting...I lack tech skills and knowledge so it takes awhile for me to grasp concepts haha
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Postby soysauce » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Siggon Kristov wrote:
soysauce wrote:I see some value for universities but I'd be more inclined to suggest it for late Secondary School, I'd hope that anyone applying for Political Science or similar courses would already be familiar with democracy at the level Particracy is at.

Not sure about you, but from 4th form to 6th form, I don't recall myself (or any of my friends) having any time for this.
I don't see why a secondary school would pay to maintain this... "Oh, here kids. Play this for fun if you want to do Political Science" as opposed to a tertiary institution "Here's something you can probably be a part of, during your studies of Political Science" - tell me which makes more sense.

I've never seen Particracy as a university level, indeed much of what I've done in Secondary school on politics has been far more advanced than Particracy. I really fail to see it as hugely valuable to universities although I may be mistaken.
soysauce

Postby Siggon Kristov » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:35 am

soysauce wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:
soysauce wrote:I see some value for universities but I'd be more inclined to suggest it for late Secondary School, I'd hope that anyone applying for Political Science or similar courses would already be familiar with democracy at the level Particracy is at.

Not sure about you, but from 4th form to 6th form, I don't recall myself (or any of my friends) having any time for this.
I don't see why a secondary school would pay to maintain this... "Oh, here kids. Play this for fun if you want to do Political Science" as opposed to a tertiary institution "Here's something you can probably be a part of, during your studies of Political Science" - tell me which makes more sense.

I've never seen Particracy as a university level, indeed much of what I've done in Secondary school on politics has been far more advanced than Particracy. I really fail to see it as hugely valuable to universities although I may be mistaken.

Our cases are different. Nothing meaningful in politics is in the secondary school syllabus for Jamaica (except the legislative system, which is only discussed as a small topic for like 1 week). When I'm in university now, studying Political Science itself (to get a degree in Political Science, not just doing it as a class or a topic in a class), I have to focus more on it and I'm dedicating a lot more time to it.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby soysauce » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:44 am

Ah, Fair point, I never considered different courses...
soysauce

Postby Siggon Kristov » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:25 pm

J94CK wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:Our cases are different. Nothing meaningful in politics is in the secondary school syllabus for Jamaica (except the legislative system, which is only discussed as a small topic for like 1 week).

When I was at high school I wasn't taught anything about politics at all!

Exactly; I'm not sure why soysauce is suggesting high school.
Who, in high school, gets taught about politics is almost every class?
At university, ALL my classes are about politics or government, and I'll likely pick economics classes for my free electives.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby soysauce » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Ok, put it this way, During my secondary school politics I would of found particracy to be too basic, therefore I doubted it's value at universi
I don't know what the education systems in your countries are like, maybe it'd be useful at your country's universities
soysauce

Postby soysauce » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Ok, put it this way, During my secondary school politics I would of found particracy to be too basic, therefore I doubted it's value at universi
I don't know what the education systems in your countries are like, maybe it'd be useful at your country's universities
soysauce

Postby Siggon Kristov » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:50 pm

soysauce wrote:Ok, put it this way, During my secondary school politics I would of found particracy to be too basic, therefore I doubted it's value at universi

It is too basic, but Wouter can make changes (if paid to)
Siggon Kristov

Postby Aquinas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:14 am

Siggon Kristov wrote:
soysauce wrote:Ok, put it this way, During my secondary school politics I would of found particracy to be too basic, therefore I doubted it's value at universi

Particracy certainly has a great deal of undeveloped potential, but in terms of how "basic" or "advanced" it is...well, to be fair, to a considerable extent this depends on how it is played. In my time, I have seen Particracy played at a casual and leisurely level, at a comical/humorous level, and at a very politically sophisticated and involved level. Wouter gives us the game engine as a tool, but how we play the game is very much down to us!

Could university students have a lot of fun with Particracy and gain some educational benefit from it? I see no reason why not. When I did politics at uni, roleplay exercises were not uncommon.
Aquinas

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 am

Aquinas wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:

Particracy certainly has a great deal of undeveloped potential, but in terms of how "basic" or "advanced" it is...well, to be fair, to a considerable extent this depends on how it is played. In my time, I have seen Particracy played at a casual and leisurely level, at a comical/humorous level, and at a very politically sophisticated and involved level. Wouter gives us the game engine as a tool, but how we play the game is very much down to us!

Could university students have a lot of fun with Particracy and gain some educational benefit from it? I see no reason why not. When I did politics at uni, roleplay exercises were not uncommon.

The election mechanics and the shared control (since we have different numbers of seats instead of having a nation to ourselves like NS or CN) is something I haven't seen provided by any other game.
Maybe I was wrong to call it basic; instead I should have said that it has room for more advancement (which, as you said, it does).
I agree with the rest of what you're saying too, and thanks for recognising the usefulness in a university.
Siggon Kristov

PreviousNext

Return to General