Jelbek/Brmek.

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Jelbek/Brmek.

Postby Kubrick » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Planning on implementing some changes in Vanuku and I would like to use the Jelbek/Brmek languages for it. Is any of the creators of this still around?
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Re: Jelbek/Brmek.

Postby Polites » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:17 pm

I believe Emunim is still around in Pontesi. I could also try to help if you want, although I'm not one of the creators of the language.
Polites

Postby Zanz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:00 am

I wasn't an original creator but I did a ton of work expanding the language in Jelbania. You can look here http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=387061 for quite a bit of expanded Jelbek. I'm not actively playing but I can still advise you on what I can in this thread, though Polites is likely more help, as he's who I turned to when I was creating everything quite often.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Kubrick » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Cheers guys, that article is a load of help already Zanz. If I have some words that aren't made yet I'll come back here.

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

Kubrick

Postby Zanz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:26 am

Not a problem, I'll keep an eye on this thread!
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:51 am

Zanz wrote:Not a problem, I'll keep an eye on this thread!

Sorry for the complete OOC, but that's an awful expression. What kind of person "keeps eyes"?
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Kubrick » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Alright, here we go.

- Leader of the cabinet is called a Prefect of the Council. What would this be in Brmek? Prfek Bltmojad? What's "of the"?
- Brmek word for Federal and Federation?
- Federal States, blabla Knstat?
- Chamber of Deputies, blabla Bltmojad?
- Banded States of Vanuku, blabla Knstat?
- Governor-General is Vldár-Seik'rsyiji of blabla Knstat?

The idea is to make Vanuku a bilingual Brmek/Vanukuian nation. Dutch and Jelbic.

Kubrick

Postby Polites » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:38 pm

-Prefect of the Council = Bltmojadaék Prfek (-ék/-aék = possessive), or alternatively Bltmojadaék Wli (from Turkish Vali = "Wāli");
-Federal = Prtastaték; for Federation I would suggest Prtakns, from Prtastat, Brmek for region, and by analogy with Rekvakns ("Republic");
-Federal States is a bit trickier, since the Brmek word for Federal is derived from the word meaning "sub-national division; region", and thus "State as part of a federation", so Federal State would be translated as Prtastaték Prtastat, which is very redundant. So I guess it would be ok to use the word Knstat here, in which case you have Prtastaték Knstat;
-Chamber of Deputies = Srnebrjohikoék Meclis (from Srnebrjohiko = "representative" + Meclis = "parliament, assembly")
-Banded States of Vanuku = Wrnukék Pntezi Knstat;
-Governor General = Hákm-Seik'rsyiji (from Arabic ħākim = "governor" + Seik'rsyiji = "universal").

The link posted by Zanz has a number of words that are primarily relevant for Jelbek, and not for Brmek or Pntek, because their source language is Deltarian. For loan words, Brmek prefers Turkish, Arabic, Persian, and (I assume) Hebrew.

Hope that was helpful.
Polites

Postby Kubrick » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:12 am

Thanks a lot, Polites! This certainly is helpful.

Kubrick

Postby Polites » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:23 pm

I'll post this here, since it seems the most appropriate thread.

I just developed a new naming system and a number of names taken from RL languages, in order to make Jelbek character names fit more into the established culture, here. Although it was specifically adopted for Jelbania, the system and the names can be used by anyone who RPs Jelbek/Brmek/Pntek/Nrktek characters.
Polites

Next

Return to General