Instituting Game Masters

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Instituting Game Masters

Postby Opakidabar » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:19 pm

I might be ok for game master in Majatra ;)
If you all understand what I mean :)
Opakidabar

Postby Aquinas » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:53 pm

I would support the idea of having a few Game Manager managed nations (or even regions) with a GM able to set down guidelines for RP, decide which parties/players/etc. can join etc.. Inevitably, this would attract jealousy/resentment/suspicion in some quarters (and I'm sure I will have my head bitten off just for suggesting it!) but in all honesty, I think it would be the best way to get RP really moving. A nation needs a bit of direction sometimes - and a good, creative GM who knows how to handle people and has a vision of where he wants the nation to go could deliver that.
Aquinas

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:26 pm

Theoretically, having a game master would be nice, however, I think such a situation would end poorly. If the game master does not know the country's history and culture, how is the game master expected to act in a realistic and interesting way? If his or her decisions are based solely on his or her goals and ideas for the nation, then it really defeats the purpose.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby soysauce » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:28 pm

We'd end up in a situation where the people who act like they own a country have the accreditation to back that up,
soysauce

Postby EEL123 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Aquinas wrote:I would support the idea of having a few Game Manager managed nations (or even regions) with a GM able to set down guidelines for RP, decide which parties/players/etc. can join etc.
That's just giving them power that even mods don't have. That's way excessive.

Aquinas wrote:Inevitably, this would attract jealousy/resentment/suspicion in some quarters (and I'm sure I will have my head bitten off just for suggesting it!) but in all honesty, I think it would be the best way to get RP really moving.
I'd imagine that the players would spend more time arguing than RPing with such a scheme.

Liu Che/Zhuli wrote:Theoretically, having a game master would be nice, however, I think such a situation would end poorly. If the game master does not know the country's history and culture, how is the game master expected to act in a realistic and interesting way? If his or her decisions are based solely on his or her goals and ideas for the nation, then it really defeats the purpose.
Hear, hear!

soysauce wrote:We'd end up in a situation where the people who act like they own a country have the accreditation to back that up
Yes, it would be a great boon for godmodders.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Aquinas » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:51 pm

EEL123 wrote:
soysauce wrote:We'd end up in a situation where the people who act like they own a country have the accreditation to back that up
Yes, it would be a great boon for godmodders.

That's what everybody fears would happen - it's what I would fear would happen as well. I'm not sure it's right to entirely give in to cynicism, though. The right person, doing it in the right way, working with the right people could make a really good job of it. I agree that it would be no good if all the creativity was left to the GM. It would have to be a team effort. The GM wouldn't even necessarily be the most "important" or "prestigious" person playing in the nation, he'd just be the person to take a lead on certain things. But anyway, I can see this is probably never going to get off the ground.
Aquinas

Postby EEL123 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:00 am

Aquinas wrote:The right person, doing it in the right way, working with the right people could make a really good job of it.
To express your statement another way, if you had the right person, if he did it the right way, and if he worked with the right people, he could make a really good job out of it. Three "ifs" = too much risk.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Aquinas » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:09 am

EEL123 wrote:
Aquinas wrote:The right person, doing it in the right way, working with the right people could make a really good job of it.
To express your statement another way, if you had the right person, if he did it the right way, and if he worked with the right people, he could make a really good job out of it. Three "ifs" = too much risk.

Hmm...

D'you know what?

P'rhaps you're right. Time for me to shut up :lol: .
Aquinas

Postby Opakidabar » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:41 pm

I think Game Masters if needed could be instated at all parties consent. And removed upon a single veto.
That should work. Until first veto :D
Opakidabar

Previous

Return to General