Instituting Game Masters

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Instituting Game Masters

Postby PaleRider » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:00 pm

I think we all know that in Dranland that our most esteemed player, EEL is considered "game master" for the country so he manages out of party institutions like the police and civil service and also economic and social events. That is a good and interesting project and i think we should move to formalize it Terra wide. We could have a few "game/RP masters" who would, broadly speaking initiate events, maybe add a natural disaster element to the game, create mass social movements and maybe event regularize and manage international institutions to prevent them from going wayword and discarded.

We can break up duties by region like say have 1 or 2 masters for RP events in Dovani or by subject and have a few players, again broadly speaking manage and oversee areas like economics and trade, international politics etc etc. thoughts?
Last edited by PaleRider on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Re: InstitutinGame Masters

Postby Fred » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Or we could not. We don't have the player base to support it and such an idea is ripe for abuse.
Fred

Re: Instituting Game Masters

Postby PaleRider » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:26 pm

It could be ripe for abuse but i think the benefits would outweigh the risks. At worst we retcon an event or two if it isnt relevant or doesnt gell with prior rp.
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
PaleRider

Re: InstitutinGame Masters

Postby soysauce » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:29 pm

PaleRider wrote:I think we all know that in Dranland that our most esteemed player, EEL is considered "game master" for the country so he manages out of party institutions like the police and civil service and also economic and social events. That is a good and interesting project and i think we should move to formalize it Terra wide. We could have a few "game/RP masters" who would, broadly speaking initiate events, maybe add a natural disaster element to the game, create mass social movements and maybe event regularize and manage international institutions to prevent them from going wayword and discarded.

We can break up duties by region like say have 1 or 2 masters for RP events in Dovani or by subject and have a few players, again broadly speaking manage and oversee areas like economics and trade, international politics etc etc. thoughts?

Personally I think that system is rather dangerous, while in Dranland the main players are very coordinated and friendly with each other and thus the informal arrangement works very well on mutual consent we must realize that in other nations that may not be the case, disputes have and will continue to occur. The potential to give powers to one side of such a dispute is worrying. Formalizing such "Game master" posts would create a high risk of such power being misused, the position may be assigned to someone who has no interest in International RP while someone who does have an interest lacks the authority for example. In possible worse cases the "Game master's" powers may be used to micromanage the country and to obstruct other players while other "Game masters" may simply neglect their duties.

Personally I feel that things are better done out of personal initiative than duty, when I made the military guide for Dranland I did so because I was interested in the idea, I fear that someone who made the same thing without interest in it would not achieve the same results.
soysauce

Postby Siggon Kristov » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:18 am

This is a terrible idea.
It gives players the feel that they own countries in the game, and I don't like it. I'd probably be considered the game master of Beluzia or Lodamun, and it's not something I'd want.

I honestly feel you just want this to have a feel that you own Zardugal.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby EEL123 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:29 am

I think that this system must be an informal arrangement with the consent of everyone in the country. I don't believe that the imposition of such a system would be desirable. As some have pointed out, it is very easy to abuse this sort of position of responsibility - substantially more so than the mod system, I would imagine, because mods are only here to enforce clear protocols and rules, while a formalised game-master has to scope to do things that are not constrained by rules. If other countries wanted to institute such a system, I would have no objection, but formalisation is a big no-no.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Siggon Kristov » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:35 am

EEL123 wrote:I think that this system must be an informal arrangement with the consent of everyone in the country. I don't believe that the imposition of such a system would be desirable. As some have pointed out, it is very easy to abuse this sort of position of responsibility - substantially more so than the mod system, I would imagine, because mods are only here to enforce clear protocols and rules, while a formalised game-master has to scope to do things that are not constrained by rules. If other countries wanted to institute such a system, I would have no objection, but formalisation is a big no-no.

Exactly.

Other countries have had informal RP-leaders. Formalising it is a bad idea.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby PaleRider » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:49 am

F**k off Siggy. Im not the narcissistic asshole youre trying to portray me as you over inflated prick
PaleRider

Postby Amazeroth » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:43 am

Pale, that's a warning for you. Siggon might not like your idea, but he didn't call you a narcissistic asshole anywhere.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Martinulus » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:07 pm

The Dranish system works because they all consented to what EEL does and he lets them know and discuss about scenarios in advance, if I'm correct. It wouldn't work Terra-wide.
Hosianisch-Demokratisches Verbund - Hulstria and Gao-Soto

Notable previous parties:
Folkepartiet (People's Party) - Kazulia
Martinulus

Next

Return to General