Geography of Terra

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Geography of Terra

Postby PaleRider » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:13 pm

This is both for my personal curiosity and for the benefit of the players ostensibly...so as i see these are the broad strokes of geography in Terra, im frankly too lazy to sort through all the different geography pages on the wiki.

Majatra- mostly arid/desert climate from Kafuristan west through Kalopia and Jakania and eastern Deltaria and northern and western Solentia. ive always imagined Cobura to be mountain-y and forest-y like the Caucus. Then running into Zardugal the mountains give way to plains and forests while northern Deltaria and most of Jelbania are flat plains with forests. Then a mix of forests and plains in northern Majatra with a more arid climate around Beithynu. No idea about Cildania or Selucia and Al'Badara would i imagine be arid/desert climate

Artania- i have no idea but i would imagine the usual European geography and climate of temperate forests and rolling plains with a smattering of mountains with an obviously colder climate up north.

Seleya- no clue

Dovani- too big to contemplate

Keris- tundra

Macon- slightly less tundra?

Squibble- jungles and maybe mountains? Very tropical i would imagine

Vascania- jungles and mountains like Squibble
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Re: Geography of Terra

Postby Aquinas » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:31 pm

I recall that according to Dranland's wiki, Dranland has loads of volcanoes, though this has never been RP'ed or talked about much.
Aquinas

Postby Aquinas » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Hmm I see Dranland's wiki has since been edited to remove the references to volcanoes lol!

Another thought: would it be possible to "protect" the geographic/geological/ecological features of a nation using the Cultural Protocols?
Aquinas

Postby EEL123 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:16 am

Aquinas wrote:Another thought: would it be possible to "protect" the geographic/geological/ecological features of a nation using the Cultural Protocols?
I would imagine that geographical protocols, if you will, should be protected even more stringently than the cultural ones. Cultures can change and fluctuate, minority groups can seize power, etc. It's harder to turn a mountain into a valley and a desert into a fertile plain (although the Chinese and Israelis, respectively, have managed that).
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Farsun » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:12 pm

This would be good, I'll admit that but enforcement of this would be relatively lax. We can hardly get the cultural protocols enforced, this? This might just be too far in the eyes of Moderation.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Aquinas » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm not aware of any reluctance on behalf of Moderation to enforce Cultural Protocols. On the very few occasions I've ever had problems with players on issues to do with adherence to Cultural Protocols, Moderation has always been helpful.

Geographical protocols would be good. There should probably be some co-ordination of this amongst the different continents, though. For example, I'm thinking it would be odd/unrealistic to have a freezing cold nation next-door to a tropical temperate one.
Aquinas

Postby Zanz » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:05 pm

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g237/ ... calMap.png has been used previously for South Majatra,though it does not necessarily denote climate, only elevation and rivers. I made them from Wiki information and with interest in reconciling the region's various nations to each other.

To assume that S. Majatra must be desert since it's Arabic and IRL Arabs live in desert areas is unimaginative, in my opinion, and ties Terra too closely to RL. There's no reason the Arab (Majatran) states shouldn't be climates other than desert. Additionally, it'd be best to take into account Terra's latitude and longitude in creating realistic climatic regions. When I was in Telamon I attempted to do this a bit and created a couple of physical and climate maps:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g237/ ... cities.png
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g237/ ... ateMap.png

EDIT: Additionally, JBN did some work IC on tectonic plates in Terra here. I don't necessarily agree with his placement, but it's worth a glance at for people who haven't seen it. The issue with his suggestion is that most nations tend to claim mountainous borders (unrealistically) since that allows them a sort of natural defense. For instance, in the Telamon maps I made above, there is a mountain range that entirely separates Hutori from Telamon. If the JBN plates are accepted, those mountains would be relatively unlikely, as no plate tectonics would have caused upheaval there. The only real explanation could be a volcanic hotspot ala southern South Dakota and northern Wyoming IRL, but that's silly.

Really I object more to the way people RP than I do to JBN's plates, I guess.

Another issue, though, is that JBN seemed to assume that Terra stopped almost immediately south of Majatra, which would but Quanzar/Istalia and Solentia, for instance, at a very low and very cold latitude. Other maps attempted to address this by adding significant water area both north and south of the continents, but this would mean the necessity of a redraw of a lot of those plates.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Afrocentric » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:39 pm

I know when I did the geographic maps for Rutania I used the map for Artania to do it. IMO, the climate map for Artania needs redoing as I expect it to be a much more cooler environment, especially the farther north you go.

http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/File:Artania3.jpg

http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/File:Artania_Climate.jpg

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby MichaelReilly » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:47 pm

I did Darnussia a while ago: http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110219192855/particracy/images/8/8b/Darnussia_pysical_real.png

I started to do an Artania-wide one, but gave up through laziness.
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby Farsun » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Kordusia, Largonia and Miktar make up Atria also known as mainland Dorvik. It has a large mountain range right through the middle of it up until mid way through the coast, surrounding those mountains is dense forests likely covered in snow for the majority of the year. Mothar and the top of Kordusia likely has a similar climate to that of Northern Scotland and the Scandinavian countries while Largonia, Miktar and Dorvan are likely warmer but still cold.

Geography wise? Mothar and Dorvan are likely flat with hills and plains due to being an island. Dorvik, realistically is the size of in-between Pakistan and Venezuela.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Return to General