Welcoming Committees and Re-Tooling the Wiki

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Welcoming Committees and Re-Tooling the Wiki

Postby EEL123 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:34 am

soysauce wrote:Em, "noob" is used commonly online as an insult so perhaps it's best avoided to lower the risk of misunderstanding?
Well, I know that, but I'm not aware that it is generally used in a malicious sense here at least (even if it occasionally is), whatever it's taken to mean elsewhere. But I do take your point.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby SelucianCrusader » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:02 am

MichaelReilly wrote:Jesus SelCru, let it go...
If you wanted the issue to simply fade away, you wouldn't be writing this. Am I guessing right, that you have had a glass of ale or two? T'is Friday night after all.

MichaelReilly wrote:People like generic English-speaking republics because it's realistic
I could imagine this coming from an inhabitant of some scarcely populated area in the US, but hearing a European with leftist tendencies indirectly claiming that the outside world is made up of generic English-speaking republics really made my day. :D

MichaelReilly wrote:It was lying empty: how's he to know he wasn't to touch it?
When I came to this game, I chose Selucia because of it's ancient Roman culture. I most probably wouldn't have turned it into some random US/UK-clone even if I had been alone there. You don't have to want to be uninterested in RP or the game's lore simply because you're new to the game.

MichaelReilly wrote:I honestly do think we should start to re-look at the way we are sticking to certain cultural aspects of role-play and the way in which we treat new players.
The root of the problem lies in that PT hasn't been developed further since 2008 and Wouter doesn't seem to be starting developing it any time soon. If that was the case, we could have put a beginners manual with an explanation of game rules such as the protocols on the first page, or an introduction screen to every nation explaining it's lore, culture, politics etc. But since Wouter doesn't seem to spend time on this, this issue will not solve itself any time soon.

Best thing I can think out now - if technically possible - would be to auto-send a PM to every newly registered account, explaining the rules and the basics of the game. As well as the importance of the forums, of course. ;)
SelucianCrusader

Postby MichaelReilly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:36 am

SelucianCrusader wrote:If that was the case, we could have put a beginners manual with an explanation of game rules such as the protocols on the first page, or an introduction screen to every nation explaining it's lore, culture, politics etc. But since Wouter doesn't seem to spend time on this, this issue will not solve itself any time soon.

Best thing I can think out now - if technically possible - would be to auto-send a PM to every newly registered account, explaining the rules and the basics of the game. As well as the importance of the forums, of course. ;)

Now THOSE are some good ideas. Obviously can't really realisticly be implemented due to lack of development on the game, but good ideas none the less.

I am not going to again go though point for point your (inaccurate) rebuttals to my points, mainly because I can't be arsed, but I am still of the belief that the attitudes of more experienced players towards not so experienced players is lousy and needs to change.
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby Afrocentric » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:08 am

Certain nations should be designated as "training grounds" for the noobs; preferably the generic clones with experienced players such as myself that aren't power hungry assbags or elitist pricks (lot of self-sucking right there) who don't mind dealing with noobs and the innocent while they learn the ends and out of RP, Particracy and what not.

Just a suggestion, not a sermon.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby Farsun » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:29 am

Afrocentric wrote:Certain nations should be designated as "training grounds" for the noobs; preferably the generic clones with experienced players such as myself that aren't power hungry assbags or elitist pricks (lot of self-sucking right there) who don't mind dealing with noobs and the innocent while they learn the ends and out of RP, Particracy and what not.

Hey hey! I help the noobs even though I am a powerhungry elist assbag prick!
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Afrocentric » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:38 am

Farsun wrote:
Afrocentric wrote:Certain nations should be designated as "training grounds" for the noobs; preferably the generic clones with experienced players such as myself that aren't power hungry assbags or elitist pricks (lot of self-sucking right there) who don't mind dealing with noobs and the innocent while they learn the ends and out of RP, Particracy and what not.

Hey hey! I help the noobs even though I am a powerhungry elist assbag prick!

Well then you're obviously the exception.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Previous

Return to General