Welcoming Committees and Re-Tooling the Wiki

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Welcoming Committees and Re-Tooling the Wiki

Postby PaleRider » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Fellow PT players,

A common theme i have noticed among ourselves is that when new players come and dont respect the cultural protocols and such (much like what is now happening in Barmenia) we tend to get upset and mad at them for either good reason or not. Now to resolve this i propose that we take it upon ourselves to greet such new players in a friendly manner and to provide them with ways to access the appropriate information. I think by taking tis simple step we can readily integrate people into the game.

Now this does segway into the Wiki because, despite it being a jumbled mess of sh*t there are some useful nuggets in there. I believe we should make the wiki more of a storage area for cultural information on the different ethnicity, put maps up there to clear up any geographic confusion and of course put religious information there as well. It would thus be more easily accessible to newer players and could hopefully prevent more dust ups from the older players and newer ones.
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Re: Welcoming Committees and Re-Tooling the Wiki

Postby SelucianCrusader » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:14 pm

I were about to write how Barmenia actually has a quite good wiki-page, describing it's culture, religions and such, but I just noticed the Barmenian wiki page has been the victim of vandalism - probably from one of the raider-noobs there - who screwed the demographics protected by the cultural protocols. I'll probably go there sometime in the future, if the noobs leave that is. It needs some development, although many other nation's have wiki pages (examples that come to my mind Hutori/Athlorcaea and Selucia) are far worse.

I am all for guiding new players who are interested in being creative and developing the game's lore, but this raid is simply stupid. Take how they changed "Prtastat" to "State", even though Prtastat basically means state in Brmék. Or how they have made "football" the official sport. Or hawk the national animal. It just goes on and on - and it's horrible.

I did my best to integrate Felinism with the Jelbic/Ahmadi heritage when I was there, now little of either Felinism or Ahmadism remains.
SelucianCrusader

Postby MichaelReilly » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:29 pm

Amidst your obsessed crusade against 'genericism' you seem to forget the fact that it is never malicious. They're new players. They don't know any better, and constantly moaning at them or about them isn't going to help.
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby Opakidabar » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Barmenia actually seems promising. 4 parties there seems RPing already in the bills.
If those guys are really newcommers, then I am all for it. Best solution probably would be them deciding to move into some Artanian country and get integrated in international affairs later :)

It is quite a learning curve to RP Barmenian affairs properly. Brmek language + feline religion... Which is also reason why Barmenia has 0 parties most of the time. Nobody seems to care long enough. Been there as well. We need to think what to do with those perma-empty uniques (Barmenia and Aldegar comes to my mind first).
Opakidabar

Postby SelucianCrusader » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:52 pm

New players are neither illiterate nor incompetent per definition. I have never sought to tear down the lore and create generic thrash nations, and I doubt most quality players have. Being new to the game is not an excuse for breaking the rules or ignoring the lore. If one wants to add something new to the lore that's something positive, but it shouldn't come at extinguishing what came before.

Yes, they could move to Mordusia or Hutori. On Barmenia, I should never have left the place, nor should Emunim or catparty. The language isn't that hard, and one doesn't need to get to involved with the religious sphere if one doesn't RP a denominational party.
SelucianCrusader

Postby MichaelReilly » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:57 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:Being new to the game is not an excuse for breaking the rules or ignoring the lore.

Yes it is. It's the perfect excuse.
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby Siggon Kristov » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:01 pm

MichaelReilly wrote:
SelucianCrusader wrote:Being new to the game is not an excuse for breaking the rules or ignoring the lore.

Yes it is. It's the perfect excuse.

Sorry, SelCru. Beginner's ignorance is natural.
They're going to think we're pushing our own interests when we try to advise them.
I remember being a new player.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby PaleRider » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:02 pm

I will side with Mike on this one. Most of the relevant information is scattered and buried around PT, the Forum and the Wiki. As a new player, what incentive do you have to find this information?
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Postby SelucianCrusader » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:11 pm

PaleRider wrote:I will side with Mike on this one. Most of the relevant information is scattered and buried around PT, the Forum and the Wiki. As a new player, what incentive do you have to find this information?
PT Forum -> Discussion -> Game Moderation The place most people would go to learn the rules, how to play etc.
SelucianCrusader

Postby Siggon Kristov » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:17 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:
PaleRider wrote:I will side with Mike on this one. Most of the relevant information is scattered and buried around PT, the Forum and the Wiki. As a new player, what incentive do you have to find this information?
PT Forum -> Discussion -> Game Moderation The place most people would go to learn the rules, how to play etc.

Many players don't even know the Forum exists as an important part of the game.
I don't think most players automatically know that the forum is the place to find the rules or how to play, considering things come up saying the wiki is for that, and the little question marks beside things should lead to wiki links.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Next

Return to General