Some questions about RP

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Some questions about RP

Postby Buddak » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:20 am

Hi everyone!

I signed up Particracy a few days ago and I still don't understand how RP in the forum works at all. If anybody could explain me a little all would be thankfully.

Thanks!
Social-Democratic Coalition (Luthori)
Buddak

Re: Some questions about RP

Postby MichaelReilly » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:03 pm

To begin with, welcome to the game.

Usually if you wish to role-play, we use the International news section in the forum. You can see examples at http://forum.particracy.net/viewforum.php?f=17. People will post in-character in the style of newspaper reports, or party statements or something similar. If you want to have a role-play with other players, talk to them through PM and work out what you are going to do.

If the role-play is large and important enough, such a a war, it will take place in the World events section.

This is just a brief overview, but have a look through for a few examples and have a go.
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby GreenChristian » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:13 pm

As another newbie, I have to say that the roleplay stuff isn't very obvious. Here are some of the things I've noticed that could make it easier.

Firstly, it's really not obvious from the game itself that the forum is supposed to be part of the game.

Secondly, when choosing a nation you have to do quite a bit of digging to have much idea of what kind of nations there are out there. A group of us who know each other from elsewhere decided to take over Jelbania because it looked like an abandoned nation, and only afterwards did we realise that it is currently occupied by a foreign power. If the list of countries had some kind of brief description and a current status, that might make it easier to come in a bit prepared for the current reality.

Thirdly, there's nothing within a nation's pages to indicate who its neighbours are. At the very least, the diplomacy screen should at least have a link to those neighbours, so that those who want to heavily dive into international relations have a convenient way of finding out about the nations they should be interacting with the most.

Anyway, that's just a few initial thoughts on ways the roleplaying aspect of the game could be made a bit more obvious and accessible to newbies.
GreenChristian

Postby Afrocentric » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:25 pm

GreenChristian wrote:Firstly, it's really not obvious from the game itself that the forum is supposed to be part of the game.

That's probably the biggest problem with the game. It's nice to see that new players are joining the game, but it's hasn't translated to activity on the forums. I suspect that alot of noobs (no offense) don't even know the forums exist.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby CCP » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:49 pm

Afrocentric wrote:
GreenChristian wrote:Firstly, it's really not obvious from the game itself that the forum is supposed to be part of the game.

That's probably the biggest problem with the game. It's nice to see that new players are joining the game, but it's hasn't translated to activity on the forums. I suspect that alot of noobs (no offense) don't even know the forums exist.

What I think would help here is if we could summarize the RP happenings in one central place. When I played nationstates years ago, my region kept what we called an International Newswire. We used it to make short (1 - 10 lines), standalone wire reports, or to summarize long-form news reports and in-character goings on from elsewhere around the offsite forum, the regional message board, the nationstates forum, and other regions.

If we did something like that here, after players post bullet point summaries or reports to the newswire, we could then copy and paste the most recent newswire entries to the in-game world news press releases. This would allow everyone to go to one central place where they could catchup on everything that was happening in the game. Right now, from my perspective as a new[-ly returned] player, the most difficult part of playing the game is piecing together all of the disparate parts of the global story. If it were regularly summarized in one central place, it would not only help players keep up, but it would also give some linear logic to the various stories, and help players synthesize and conceptualize it all into a single game-wide political narrative.

I was going to add a thread like this to the news forum, but wasn't sure if it already exists and I'm just missing it, or if it would be against some game policy. But anything that can be done to simplify the many stories into one simple, digestible whole would be an improvement.
Global Roleplay Committee Chair(until March 2019)
Ity ꜣḥwt xꜣdt, Hawu Mumenhes
Movement for Radical Libertarianism, Talmoria
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
Sizwe Esintsundu Amandla Inhlangano, Ibutho
Christian Communalist Party, Rildanor
CCP

Return to General