Lodamun's System

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Is Lodamun's system difficult to understand?

Yes, I don't understand it.
20%
No, I understood that the President is both HoS and HoG.
80%

Total votes : 10

Lodamun's System

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:35 am

Is Lodamun's system that difficult to understand?
I can see why it would have been difficult to understand the Prince/President pair that Lodamun had before, or why it would have been difficult to understand the system that was in Beluzia, but is Lodamun's current system that difficult to understand?

Look at the nation page. I want honest answers. Was it hard to tell that the same person serves as both HoS and HoG, but is elected by the legislature instead of being directly-elected?

In real life, each of the following countries has an executive President who is elected by the legislature:
- Botswana
- Cuba
- Marshall Islands
- Nauru
- South Africa
- Suriname
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Re: Lodamun's System

Postby Aquinas » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:24 am

I would have presumed Lodamun's system works exactly as you have described it. That said, as an ancient and long-time player, I'm familiar with how Particracy's game mechanisms work, so perhaps I've overlooked areas of potential confusion. But putting my thinking cap on for a few moments, it occurs to me that a newbie might conceivably trip up over these hurdles:

i. He might be confused by the Head of State being listed as "The President" instead of "President Benjamin Landau" (or whatever the name of the incumbent President is). To me, in this situation it would seem counter-intuitive to presume the Head of State and Head of Government are two separate personalities, each with the title of "President"...but I guess it might confuse someone, or at least make them think "Eh? What's going on here, then?"

ii. Following on from this, he might not immediately appreciate that in Lodamun's system, the President is appointed through Cabinet Bills approved by the legislature.

So to summarise, I do not think Lodamun's system should be, in your phrase, "that difficult to understand", but even so, if you haven't done so already, you might consider putting up an FAQ Bill in debate just to explain things. We can all be forgiven for being perplexed at least some of the time, after all :).
Aquinas

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:59 pm

Thank you for your response, Aquinas.

Aquinas wrote:I would have presumed Lodamun's system works exactly as you have described it. That said, as an ancient and long-time player, I'm familiar with how Particracy's game mechanisms work, so perhaps I've overlooked areas of potential confusion.

We just did some improvising, really. We had to work around the game mechanics because they currently don't facilitate the system we have.

The weird thing is that I've never had new players complain or get confused.
I only remember 3 persons complaining:
- Jack (Jack Adamson, who was just opposed to almost anything I did)
- Jack_Spears (a player older than me who insisted that a parliamentary system can only exist in a monarchy)
- van16 (a player older than me who claims that I don't know how to play the game properly, and he doesn't know that coalition governments exist)

Once new players undertood it instantly without me having to explain, I didn't expect oldies to have a problem. The most I would need to explain is why I think the system is better, but not what it is. I didn't have to explain that the Presidium elected the President. That was pretty obvious.

Aquinas wrote:he might not immediately appreciate that in Lodamun's system

I would expect this from a new player who found out that Presidents are directly-elected in other countries. Unfortunately, the matter isn't one where he doesn't like the system; it is one where he doesn't understand it. If he understood it and wanted to change it, that would be a whole different issue.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby MichaelReilly » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:24 pm

c) who cares
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby Afrocentric » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:40 pm

It's so easy to understand, a cave man could do it.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:44 pm

MichaelReilly wrote:c) who cares

You could ignore the thread if you don't care.
I made it because of this.

Afrocentric wrote:It's so easy to understand, a cave man could do it.

:lol:
Siggon Kristov

Postby Amazeroth » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:39 pm

I'd say it's pretty obvious, but as Aquinas, I've played this game long enough to get things like this quickly. I don't really think it has to be made clearer, but if you wanted to, you could have it say "The Head of Government is the Head of State" or something similar. Then it should be clear to everyone.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Amazeroth wrote:I'd say it's pretty obvious, but as Aquinas, I've played this game long enough to get things like this quickly.

What's strange is that new players never seem to have a problem understanding :shock:

Amazeroth wrote:I don't really think it has to be made clearer, but if you wanted to, you could have it say "The Head of Government is the Head of State" or something similar. Then it should be clear to everyone.

That would mess up newspaper reports. Imagine "The Head of Government is the Head of State" being in place of "The President" in these articles:
- http://classic.particracy.net/viewnews. ... &nation=19
- http://classic.particracy.net/viewnews. ... &nation=19
Siggon Kristov

Postby van16 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Are you really that pressed that you have to do this? You are a sad little man.
van16

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:19 pm

van16 wrote:Are you really that pressed that you have to do this? You are a sad little man.

Pressed? No. Upset? No.
I'm asking a simple question to the rest of the community.
Maybe Lodamun's setup was difficult to understand. I just wanted to know. What's wrong with that?
Siggon Kristov

Next

Return to General