Help Me to Find Stuff

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Help Me to Find Stuff

Postby Siggon Kristov » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Guys, I need help.

I need:
- a regular legislative bill with a long debate and only in-character comments
- a budget bill that was heavily debated (must have in-character comments only)
- a bill about a deadlock situation, and some proof that it was difficult to resolve

I prefer if these are in countries where there is some level of convention or protocol for how legislators speak, like how some countries have "Mr. Speaker"
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Re: Help Me to Find Stuff

Postby MichaelReilly » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:12 pm

What are they needed for, just out of curiosity? (sorry, I can't help you. We don't use proper parliamentary language in our debates in our nation, and we usually have a majority government thus preventing deadlocks).
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm making a presentation about Particracy to someone in my faculty at school.
If he sees potential in it, I'm hoping he would consider using it or supporting further development of it.

I've always been pushing Wouter to show this project to the schools. Nothing is lost in trying.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Afrocentric » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Siggon Kristov wrote:Guys, I need help.

I need:
- a bill about a deadlock situation, and some proof that it was difficult to resolve

I prefer if these are in countries where there is some level of convention or protocol for how legislators speak, like how some countries have "Mr. Speaker"

I probably have some of that in Rutania. I'll go dig something up for you if I have time.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:17 pm

Afrocentric wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:Guys, I need help.

I need:

I probably have some of that in Rutania. I'll go dig something up for you if I have time.

Thanks dude. Rutania is one of the countries that I expected to have it. I'm already featuring Rutania in my presentation because it has multiple parties (without any single party controlling a majority), and most parties have conventional-looking names. I'm featuring a 2-party system as well; I just need to show that both exist in the game.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:45 pm

I used whatever game links I had. I made the presentation. I sold the idea in less than 10 minutes. My university likes Particracy.
Does anyone else do Political Science, Economics, and/or International Relations? Seriously, try to market this to them.

What I need help with, right now, is "benefits of Particracy that the university will get" because I'm supposed to make a sequel presentation with a slightly increased audience. So any ideas on what I can put on such a list? Feel free to expand on points.
Siggon Kristov

Postby MichaelReilly » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:39 pm

Siggon Kristov wrote:I used whatever game links I had. I made the presentation. I sold the idea in less than 10 minutes. My university likes Particracy.
Does anyone else do Political Science, Economics, and/or International Relations? Seriously, try to market this to them.

What I need help with, right now, is "benefits of Particracy that the university will get" because I'm supposed to make a sequel presentation with a slightly increased audience. So any ideas on what I can put on such a list? Feel free to expand on points.

Outwith the game mechanics, probably one of the best things Particracy can offer is the fact there is a good community that's not too large in which people are generally familiar with each other, who all have a mutual interest in politics, philosophy, history and economics. The forum can be a great place, and I've met a couple of people over the years who I now converse with outside the game. On an even bigger upside, any new players get to meet me, which must always be a positive :mrgreen: .
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Well, in terms of community, I like being able to find others across the world interested in my field. I wish I could find more Caribbean persons (apart from Jamaicans and a few Trinis) as well.

But for this thing I'm doing... Imagine Particracy being a part of your grade for a class :)
Siggon Kristov

Postby soysauce » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:19 pm

In all honesty I'm not sure that an influx of students using this in class would be positive for the community, while most people playing right now are doing it for fun these students would be playing seriously and trying to simulate certain situations, I think there is potential for a fairly major conflict between these two groups. I'm also worried that the game might become sterile, I don't know if you've used many educational websites before but because they're usually monitored by teachers/staff people won't say anything vaguely rude and get annoyingly serious. Personally I would get bored quickly if I ended up playing against someone who was only playing because it was part of his course and wasn't really interested because of the reasons stated above and I'm pretty sure others would agree with me.

Plus, there's a chance that we'll be swamped, we only have about 160 players right now and two or three classes of Jamaicans playing could increase numbers by 40-50%, like most players who know each other they'll probably work in small groups and could take over a large proportion of the nations in the game.

This is a community, it's not designed to be an educational resource and I don't think that the community can take being treated like one,
soysauce

Postby Siggon Kristov » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:46 pm

soysauce wrote:
In all honesty I'm not sure that an influx of students using this in class would be positive for the community, while most people playing right now are doing it for fun these students would be playing seriously and trying to simulate certain situations, I think there is potential for a fairly major conflict between these two groups.

Plus, there's a chance that we'll be swamped, we only have about 160 players right now and two or three classes of Jamaicans playing could increase numbers by 40-50%, like most players who know each other they'll probably work in small groups and could take over a large proportion of the nations in the game.
This is a community, it's not designed to be an educational resource and I don't think that the community can take being treated like one,

I'm not sure who told you that I was inviting them to this community. I am showing them Particracy, and introducing them to the concept.

You probably missed this thread:
wlievens wrote:
please hire me to finish Particracy

Selling something can only work if you have a buyer. I can't imagine who would buy a half finished game with a tiny community? And I don't think I want to give up my baby just yet, either.

From this, I had thought of marketing the game to my university (with permission from Wouter, and correspondence with Amazeroth). First, I was going after the clubs, like Model UN and Governance Society. Now, I'm going after the actual institution. By the way, the institution is Caribbean, not Jamaican. In Jamaica alone, there is a political divide and 2 clearly different ideologies in my generation (separate from the typical "revolutionaries" who just hate everything). The students from other Caribbean countries have even different ideas. When I invited Jamaicans to play, I ensured that they played in Lodamun so we could compete with each other (instead of all teaming up against someone else).

soysauce wrote:I'm also worried that the game might become sterile, I don't know if you've used many educational websites before but because they're usually monitored by teachers/staff people won't say anything vaguely rude and get annoyingly serious.

Even if they were coming here, the school would be focusing on election results, the status (passed/failed) of bills, and treaties, not scanning bill debates to look for naughty words. Political wit is actually admired, and being "rude" can be funny. It's university lecturers, not high school teachers. The lecturers themselves wouldn't be participating in this.

soysauce wrote:Personally I would get bored quickly if I ended up playing against someone who was only playing because it was part of his course and wasn't really interested because of the reasons stated above and I'm pretty sure others would agree with me.

About the course, it is more like things with forming coalitions and pushing for treaties to get passed in other countries, and the challenges faced.
It would also be more like a 2%-5% extra credit thing than "You must play Particracy. Login, vote, logout."
Siggon Kristov

Next

Return to General