Jelbic Language

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Jelbic Language

Postby Polites » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Reddy wrote:Perhaps it is so but as I said a little earlier, let's forget about the new players and think of the RPing ones who have to struggle translating things already. There are no words in the Jelbic dictionary for simple things like "history', "war", "love" or "city" To expect someone to have to create words each time before RPing is just too much.

So why not just use Turkic words and then remove a bunch of vowels?

Kubrick wrote:I've grown quite fond of Jelbic to be honest.

I just wish I had someone quick at hand I could use to help me translate stuff, so yes, basically the same problem you have Reddy. Limited dictionary and confusing grammar sort of limit me in changing the nation name.

That being said, any Jelbic-experts want to help me out?

Sure, don't hesitate to ask and I will help to the extent of my abilities.
Polites

Postby Reddy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Polites wrote:So why not just use Turkic words and then remove a bunch of vowels?

Eish! that is all extra work. I prefer to expend my energy on creating psychopaths, tyrants, wars etc :mrgreen: First you'd translate the English word to some Turkic language, then remove the vowels and then add the new word to the dictionary. With an online dictionary bookmarked, all I'd need is to translate the word into a Turkic language. Plus i really doubt that it would be much of a language if I just add words like that (just removing vowels), The best words for the dictionary are cognates of two languages.

I'm not saying Jelbic should not developed further, those interested in doing so certainly should and even I, whenever I should feel inclined or inspired, I'll add a couple of words (as I've done in the past).
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby Polites » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:30 pm

Reddy wrote:
Polites wrote:So why not just use Turkic words and then remove a bunch of vowels?

Eish! that is all extra work. I prefer to expend my energy on creating psychopaths, tyrants, wars etc :mrgreen: First you'd translate the English word to some Turkic language, then remove the vowels and then add the new word to the dictionary. With an online dictionary bookmarked, all I'd need is to translate the word into a Turkic language. Plus i really doubt that it would be much of a language if I just add words like that (just removing vowels), The best words for the dictionary are cognates of two languages.

I'm not saying Jelbic should not developed further, those interested in doing so certainly should and even I, whenever I should feel inclined or inspired, I'll add a couple of words (as I've done in the past).

The core of Jelbek is modified English words with a Japanese grammar anyway. When I added words to the dictionary I usually just used Google translate from English to Turkish, Mongol, and Hungarian, then removed the vowels; that is no more complicated than figuring out how to say "Department" in Phoenician by translating the word in Hebrew, Syriac, and Arabic.

So while I'm not altogether opposed to introducing RL languages in Jelbic nations, I think Jelbic can be expanded without worrying much about how good the words are.
Polites

Postby Zanz » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:57 am

Throwing my hat in the ring here, I'm not very active but I do keep the dictionary updated whenever anyone makes a new word, and I'm more than happy to help with any questions to the best of my ability!

I think the real thing to take away here is that you really can't go wrong in Jelbek. Nobody knows what the hell you're talking about, anyway, so have fun and use it as it should be used: the language of crazed steppe nomads who somehow managed to survive in the middle of Majatra.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Reddy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:12 pm

I have a few questions and requests related to this topic

1) Do anyone have a copy of IdioC's Jelbic dictionary? Am getting a 404 on idioc.co.uk, appears the site is going through some upgrades.

2) Anyone with knowledge of Tengrism and/or Central Asian shamanism, I would like to ask a few questions about certain aspects of those faiths.
Reddy

Postby Kubrick » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:10 pm

Sadly IdioC's dictionary has been down for a long time. Maybe an old friend can send him an e-mail? I'm not aware of any copies floating in Particracy.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Reddy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:22 pm

It hasn't been down that long, only since early May maybe. I remember coz I created the Pntek clans referring constantly to the dictionary. Having used the language so much, i remember some of the word meanings by heart but it's not enough. I had wanted to create dozens of new Jelbek clans Maybe I can just mash up names from other countries' clans...
Reddy

Postby Polites » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:04 pm

You can also check the old development thread for the Jelbic languages, it seems to contain a few words that ended up in the official dictionary.
Polites

Postby Amazeroth » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:11 pm

I've written to IdioC about the dictionary, but there's no guarantee he'll answer of course.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Reddy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:36 pm

Polites wrote:You can also check the old development thread for the Jelbic languages, it seems to contain a few words that ended up in the official dictionary.

Amazeroth wrote:I've written to IdioC about the dictionary, but there's no guarantee he'll answer of course.

Thank you guys. For now I'll just try to use the dictionaries and take a look at that development thread.
Reddy

PreviousNext

Return to General