Jelbic Language

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Jelbic Language

Postby IdioC » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:21 pm

Amazeroth wrote:I've written to IdioC about the dictionary, but there's no guarantee he'll answer of course.

Lucky I was having a look through for nostalgia's sake when Amazeroth dropped me a line. I was combining two servers and admittedly wasn't expecting it to still be in use... There's a new modified (tidied) version up: http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic-0.1.1.txt and as before there's a UTF-8 version at http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic-0.1.1%20UTF8.txt

Reddy wrote:One of the greatest innovations in Particracy is the Jelbic language - an entirely in-game language. I respect it deeply but IMO it has restricted cultural development and appreciation in the Jelbic speaking world, and few players there seem to bother with it much... Now I have a proposal: We should turn Jelbic into the ordinary RL Turko-Mongol family of languages. We would not have to abolish the current language not to retcon anything, the culture and history would remain the same. It would be much easier to RP if you don't have to create new words half the time but instead just look up a word on an online dictionary.

Firstly, I'm flattered!

Secondly, I had to keep it short to keep it accessible and agree that this was a limitation.

Finally, I should tell you that you're doing what I always hoped someone would when I first put Jelbic/Jelbék together. Even in the early days of the language, players used the grammar in a different way to my original intentions and inadvertantly made different flavours of it for their own nations, but that is how language evolves. Bringing in a new vocabulary on top to diversify it into nation-specific languages, cultures and identities is the way forward.

I don't anticipate updating my version of the dictionary much more ("Old High Jelbic" if you will) as I shouldn't be the one who dictates its future direction. In Particracy terms, that'd be akin to an early Saxon updating Urban Dictionary.
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby Kubrick » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:02 pm

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=387061

Just read through this to see how far it "evolved". There's also countless of unique clan names and first names for Pontesi, Barmenia and Vanuku. It's come a long way.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby TheNewGuy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:12 pm

Jelbic is like the one long term RP project we've managed to keep alive through the years and through the generations of players. It's one of my favorite things to come out of PT, despite the fact that I really couldn't even write a sentence in it if you asked me to - and I own the dictionary ;)

That said, do you guys think it'd be a good idea for me to move the dictionary to a more easily maintained location? I'm thinking a google sheet with multiple owners, maybe, or something of the like? I'd like something more protected than the Wiki but editable by more people than just myself. I generally try to keep track but it may not be as smooth as some might like.
I once was full of promise. Oops.
The artist formerly known as Zanz, Troll King, Scourge of Dynastia and Confidant of IdioC
All posts are subject to the intense anal-retentive scrutiny of concerned citizens of the community

Particracy Realism Project
TheNewGuy

Postby Reddy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:16 am

Thank you very much IdioC for restoring the dictionary and starting the whole Jelbic project. :) I have used the Jelbic language so much that I actually know most of the words by heart especially things like directions, colours and clan names. I'm not playing in the Jelbic world but will always retain a strong interest in its affairs. I once had this wicked plan to secede from Majatra and create a separate Jelbic continent - Jelbica, believing it would foster Jelbic development but clearly this is not necessary anymore or... practical, the language is well embraced in the sub-continent .

@Zanz: That sounds like a good idea. Not very techno-literate myself but I'll learn what Google Sheets are - for Jelbica! :)
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby IdioC » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Kubrick: If you're interested in the history, it all began in July 2283.* The bills page of Krsyijotrnat/Jelbék Znkak Prta "Bastardry" also has some early use examples. Thanks for reminding me of the wikia article. I never finished the grammar guide and having been in Japan for 3 months on a lab exchange and used more complex grammar -- the grammar from which Jelbék extensively borrowed -- I should really finish and flesh that out.

*edit: RL 23th October 2006 by my reckoning and a quick Excel shot.

TheNewGuy (Zanz! You magnificent bastard!):The idea of a vocabulary sheet sounds promising but I would fear that it would become a big monolith like the original Old-High-Jelbic dictionary became. May I suggest that as we have a Jelbic language page on Wikia that perhaps we could open a "Jelbictionary" in the manner of wiktionary, either as a new wikia or as a "portal" on Particracy?

That way:
*We can include usage notes for each language, especially if two branches use the same word differently;
*I (and others) could hammer out some verb/number conjugation templates to help with the grammar aspect;
*If we go for the full wikia approach, anyone can register to edit and perhaps each nation's/clan's head can be appointed as a sub-editor for their branch of the language, protecting pages if necessary;
*We can cross-link it from the Particracy wikia to help other players first get involved
and most importantly
*We can search the whole thing online and get all the notes you need to use a word in one page.

Reddy: Not a problem and it was good fun doing the back-translations too into Luthori/English in the early days of the Jelbék Prsakijsrlji Lrn and seeing how daft things got. I wish I had that level of spare time now!

...and good luck with Battlestar Jelbica.

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby Kubrick » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:22 pm

Brilliant stuff. I only rolled into this in early 2012, at first I couldn't really appreciate the Jelbic language. But it grew on me and a lot of people continued to develop it over the past three years. We got so many Jelbic tribes/cultures now, all with their own unique "accents" or special words.

The only mountain I haven't climbed yet is a Brmék anthem for Vanuku. The grammar is too much for me :lol:

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

Kubrick

Postby IdioC » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:16 am

Kubrick wrote:Brilliant stuff. I only rolled into this in early 2012, at first I couldn't really appreciate the Jelbic language. But it grew on me and a lot of people continued to develop it over the past three years. We got so many Jelbic tribes/cultures now, all with their own unique "accents" or special words.

...and it makes me grin like the Cheshire Cat in flagrante delicto to see how much diversity came from one simple idea.

Kubrick wrote:The only mountain I haven't climbed yet is a Brmék anthem for Vanuku. The grammar is too much for me :lol:

My Dutch is non-existent so I can't translate (although fishing for German and English cognates helps me get a bit). I can try to fire something up based on what I understand from it and try to make it fit the same meter like the ZA anthem does IRL.

(Anyone notice how Barmenistan's anthem is "Advance Australia Fair" with the national name swapped? Oh dear.)

IdioC

Postby IdioC » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:35 pm

Kubrick wrote:The only mountain I haven't climbed yet is a Brmék anthem for Vanuku. The grammar is too much for me :lol:

...It doesn't help, having just attempted an anthem, that there's a lot of basic things for comparison and basic verbs missing from OHJ. I think I'll have to flesh it and I've had to make some protologisms (new words) to complete this anthem. Look out for dictionary v. 0.1.2 tonight.

I got a translation of the Dutch anthem and tried to loosely match it in OHJ, using any Brmék words I could find.

Translation of original
Code: Select all
When Vanuku first time together was,
By iron, blood, and sweat,
Merulf united all of our race,
Therefore it is now is that all of us know,
Oh Vanuku, Vanuku is so great!
We will never be without freedom!

Evil countries preys on our country,
They prey upon our wealth and splendor,
We give them no grain of sand,
Those who dare test our strength,

United as brothers we stand here,
Prosperous country as our Grand Canal,
Proudly waving our lion banner,
Renowned our country is international,

The future will bring us glory,
As a century before,
No country so grand in its history,
Our proud country is never lost,

The sea around Vanuku is our strength,
The oilfields our mainstay,
Our economy will bring us power,
Those who deny this are a fool

I found that the Dutch lacks a set meter, so I've stuck to 13 syllables a line (4-4-5 where possible). The beautiful thing about anthems, poetry and any such is that you can get away with dropping syllables and grammatical murder under "poetic licence". "Srnkzi" (small) got crushed a lot, as well as a lot of -juo and -zuo bring crushed to -j'o and -z'o, as originally -juo and -zuo were formally two syllables (to my ancient OHJ mind at least, I'm not telling anyone how to use it!).

Here is the "Wrnukéksarki" or "Vanukunese Song" I put together in OHJ (even using a Brmék word for song). Do as little or as much as you like with it!

Proposed Anthem
"Wrnukéksarki"

Wrnukék ishta hrzy ajomek krna,
Jezirts trzy Jezswas trzy Estifluz firja;
Merulf wrzy Isré'rajis krsyijomek yrzé!
Krishmas drzy Isré'krna shikjozuo nrzé!

Ay! Wrnuke! Ay! Wrnuke! Jez ajozuo;
Isré wrzy Lofrkadnyr ajofetak'rza.

Bozuji Kns orzy Isré Knstat tokmoj'o;
Gokasp trzy Jezfrnd firja krishmas shmojuo;
Srn'snprba grzy megàmojetakjrza;
Srn'dényamtokjokai grzy grzm'jetakjrza;

Hipylz hrzy Jezkrsyizi Brnfi tachásjo;
Knga trzy Heijifrndé Knstat ajoz'o;
Prjimé Sháhaziékhafrta wafmoj'o;
Knsékbeidék rymisrlji orzy ajoz'o;

Jezgeik grzy Isré'krna brmokjofetak;
Setzànojumjék Pokra Jezgeik kaerjohylak,
Isre gerdzy Trozjkakns Jez ajokrza;
Prjimsrlji Kns orzy lowàsjokafkrza;

Wrnukék smiék naki krajmojad firja,
Oskyutaghe grzy Jezhen ajogadkrna;
Isrék frnd orzy Pokra brmokjofetak;
Srn'kydnjokai orzy Srn'Dofkai ajofetak.

...and here's the back-translation. It's not quite Jelbék Prsakijsrlji Lrn cheesy as I wanted to help show where it all came from but also make vague sense...

Back-Translation
Translation:

The time when Vanuku first together was,
From great iron, great sweat and blood;
Merulf united our race!
From this, we know our time;
Oh! Vanuku, Oh! Vanuku: You are great;
We will never be without freedom.

Evil countries prey upon our nation
Because of our splendour and great wealth, they do this
We will not give them small grains of sand
The little people who dare to try will not win

Here, as great brothers we stand
With the canals, a prosperous nation
Proudly waving our lion banner
Internationally renowned we are.

Our time will bring us great glory
The power of a century before returns
compared to us all nations are not great
Proud country, never lost.

From tilling the Vanukunese sea,
The time of oilfields as great supports
Our economy will bring great power
The little deniers will be little fools

...and I'll get a grammar guide sorted on the wiki in the coming days.

IdioC

Postby Kubrick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:59 pm

Wow, I am very surprised by this. Thanks IdioC!

I wrote the original anthem based very loosely on 'Britannia Rules The Waves'. But it lacked poetry, it was rather short. I am happy with the words in it though.

If you desire a translation or anything else, it's my native language. For now I am definitely going to use your spectacular creation!

Kubrick

Postby IdioC » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Kubrick wrote:Wow, I am very surprised by this. Thanks IdioC!

I needed to get my head back into thinking Jelbék so thanks for pointing out you wanted an anthem. I'm on a leave period to readjust from working in Japan for 3 months, so time's no issue and it helps to have things to keep me awake. My mind is currently in half-basic-Japanese, half-English at the moment, just like the Jelbék lexicon.

Kubrick wrote:I wrote the original anthem based very loosely on 'Britannia Rules The Waves'.

Now you say that, it makes sense now. It doesn't lack poetry as poetry doesn't need to fit a set metre unless it's a set style and/or there's a tune to go with it. It didn't lack length either... kept me busy for a bit...

Kubrick wrote:If you desire a translation or anything else, it's my native language.

Will do. If that wiki idea gets off the ground we'll need you in charge of your branch(es) of the language. If you have Brmék words or want to make more to replace the OHJ words in the anthem, please do!

IdioC

PreviousNext

Return to General