Technological Advancement

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Technological Advancement

Postby Nickmaster » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:41 pm

The one thing that has always put me off about this game is there seems to be technological stagnation. It is unrealistic to go over a thousand years and not have any major technological changes or advancements. Not only that, but frankly, it is an arbitrary barrier on freedom and creativity(in my oh so humble opinion.) There are boundless opportunities for RP with technology becoming a factor, in moderation of course. Enlighten me, why have we put ourselves in this box?

Perhaps I am just oblivious to technological advancements being used, but it is something I have not noticed.
Nickmaster

Re: Technological Advancement

Postby Farsun » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:18 pm

This is something that I don't want to get into, its just something that we've collectively agreed upon. If you want to play with lasers and starships I dont know what to tell you.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby SelucianCrusader » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:37 pm

I like the idea of adding both fantasy and sci-fi elements to the game. I could actually appreciate some technological diversity on both sides - there could be holograms and genetically engineering of people, as well as knights and crossbowmen fighting alongside tanks.

The problem though - I guess - is that a certain sort of people will always want to play with those lasers and mega-cyrbogs to win all the time. Thus, I guess it won't work.
SelucianCrusader

Postby PaleRider » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:47 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:I like the idea of adding both fantasy and sci-fi elements to the game. I could actually appreciate some technological diversity on both sides - there could be holograms and genetically engineering of people, as well as knights and crossbowmen fighting alongside tanks.

The problem though - I guess - is that a certain sort of people will always want to play with those lasers and mega-cyrbogs to win all the time. Thus, I guess it won't work.

Nickmaster wrote:The one thing that has always put me off about this game is there seems to be technological stagnation. It is unrealistic to go over a thousand years and not have any major technological changes or advancements. Not only that, but frankly, it is an arbitrary barrier on freedom and creativity(in my oh so humble opinion.) There are boundless opportunities for RP with technology becoming a factor, in moderation of course. Enlighten me, why have we put ourselves in this box?

Perhaps I am just oblivious to technological advancements being used, but it is something I have not noticed.

To me part of the reason has been what SelCru stated above and part of it seems like given the unrealisticness of the rest of the Terran world and given how undeveloped parts of the game (in regards to RP) are, that this is an issue better dealt with when we've finished RP development of most of PT.
That being said, I would support a move to allow development of near future/post modern tech. Perhaps for advanced nations we could begin introducing development of space based weapons and perhaps rail gun/laser projects if appropriately developed and powerful nations RP their development. So for example, Deltaria and Alduria might not have the development and resources to build space based weapons and hypersonic missiles and planes but Dorvik and Indrala could if they RP'd it out through "leaks" from their defense ministries or something. That's the way forward I see. Any disagreements can be taken to Moderation to be solved.
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Postby Aquinas » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:09 pm

The thing is, Nick, that most players are most comfortable RP'ing in a world which is reasonably similar to the real one. It's just easier that way. Many of us, myself included, struggle to understand what is going on in the world of science currently, which means the prospect of RP'ing futuristic technologies goes over our heads and out of our comfort zones!

It seems to me that people are the most wary of technological futurism in the military sphere. Perhaps this is because, as Selcrus said, "a certain sort of people will always want to play with those lasers and mega-cyrbogs to win all the time"! In my experience, people are generally more relaxed when it comes to technological futurism in other spheres. For example, I recall human cloning being RP'ed (or at least very strongly hinted at) in the past, and nobody complaining. I also recall players posting pictures of very futuristic looking buildings and cities, and nobody complaining about that either.

Speaking personally, as a player I have come in for criticism over technological issues twice. The first was when I established Ibutho, a technologically backward African/Zulu nation. People complained Ibutho was too backwards and that I should make it more modern. At the time, though, Terra did not have any actively RP'ed third world nations, and I felt strongly that Ibutho's backwardness enhanced rather than detracted from realism, because the real world does have poor, backward societies. I signed Ibutho up to a Framework for third world realism to try to restrict certain legislative options which would be unrealistic for a third world country, though Ibutho has since withdrawn from that.

The second occasion was more recent, when I was involved with a RP about Luthori having developed a space missile system. Here, the criticism was in the opposite direction (ie. that the technology was too advanced). I felt that concept was futuristic, although not *too* futuristic because with today's science, accomplishing that would not be so inconceivable if the real political will/organisation was there to do it. It might even be a reality today if the Americans and Soviets had not agreed to demilitarise space during the Cold War. Others, though, judged differently, and that particular RP was brought to an end. Which I didn't massively object to, to be honest, but nevertheless it is an interesting example to look at when it comes to discussing the "boundaries" for technological advancement.
Aquinas

Return to General