Canrillization of Aldurian names

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Canrillization of Aldurian names

Postby cire15 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:38 am

Hi guys, I'm currently new to Alduria and playing the sole party there right now.

Since playing Alduria, I've notice that despite it's longtime role-played status as being a Canrillaise (french) speaking country, most place names do not fit as more typical canrillaise toponyms. Before I did anything unilaterally, I wanted to check with the community if it would be okay to change place names to more Canrillaise forms and that I'm not erasing something historically relevant.
cire15

Re: Canrillization of Aldurian names

Postby Polites » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:39 am

The original nation and region names are far older than the nations' cultural character, so they do often contradict. It is possible and quite encouraged to change the toponyms into something in line with the Cultural Protocols, but once that is done, the original region names cannot be restored, as cultural protocols override original names.

That being said, my recommendation is that you find French names that are phonetically similar to the original names, in order to reduce confusion and preserve whatever relevant RP may have taken place in the past.
Polites

Postby Kubrick » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 am

A few years ago I did something similar with Vanuku's regional names, they were things like Vahama and So'koto etc., hardly Dutch or Jelbic sounding. I just took the same base name and "Dutchified" it, it's a good approach. You can post the names here and we can help you with it.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby cire15 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:20 am

I created a list of canrillized names mostly based off the current name, and moved it to a vote. Thanks for the feedback, I was just making sure I wasn't trampling on anything.
cire15

Postby TheNewGuy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:42 am

cire15 wrote:I created a list of canrillized names mostly based off the current name, and moved it to a vote. Thanks for the feedback, I was just making sure I wasn't trampling on anything.

This guy for mod!

Welcome.
I once was full of promise. Oops.
The artist formerly known as Zanz, Troll King, Scourge of Dynastia and Confidant of IdioC
All posts are subject to the intense anal-retentive scrutiny of concerned citizens of the community

Particracy Realism Project
TheNewGuy

Postby meisme » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:58 am

TheNewGuy wrote:
cire15 wrote:I created a list of canrillized names mostly based off the current name, and moved it to a vote. Thanks for the feedback, I was just making sure I wasn't trampling on anything.

This guy for mod!

Welcome.

Agree, he would at least make a better mod than that Zanz guy.
meisme

Location: Being taken to the gates of Valhalla, all shiny and chrome

Postby Polites » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:30 am

meisme wrote:Agree, he would at least make a better mod than that Zanz guy.

Never heard of him.
Polites

Postby TheNewGuy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:22 pm

Polites wrote:
meisme wrote:Agree, he would at least make a better mod than that Zanz guy.

Never heard of him.

He's not somebody whose name folks ought to be throwing around. Meis will learn...
I once was full of promise. Oops.
The artist formerly known as Zanz, Troll King, Scourge of Dynastia and Confidant of IdioC
All posts are subject to the intense anal-retentive scrutiny of concerned citizens of the community

Particracy Realism Project
TheNewGuy

Return to General