Particracy's FAQ

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Particracy's FAQ

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:23 am

Aquinas wrote:
Farsun wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/rates.php

Probably should be included in there and stating that the LOD is the base currency, most equivalent to US dollars.

That's a fair point, especially since (so far as I know) the exchange rates page is not linked to anywhere inside the game.

I disagree that the whole US dollar thing should be stated. Sure, it's Farsun's opinion, but does everyone agree that the LOD is equal to the USD? It's still debated. I'd love to hear if that was ever said by Wouter, or how we got to that conclusion. So far, I've only seen that people say that because the LOD is the strongest currency in the world, but the US dollar is not the strongest currency in the real world, so I don't get why that is always brought up.

It's unrealistic that the LOD would be the world's trading currency, when Lodamun is so isolated. The UK has a stronger currency than the USA. Even the Cayman Islands has a stronger currency than the USA.

Yes, the Rates page should be stated somewhere, but the USD bit should be delayed for now.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Farsun » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:29 am

II. Currency
A. The current currency system put in place by the game based upon the LOD will remain the default and official currency system of Terra. The exchange rates can be found here: http://classic.particracy.net/rates.php

Economic protocols, while they are optional, that part of it was not and that was said many times by Amaz, Liu and JBN.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:46 am

I checked the Forums this morning and there is no record of any official ruling on whether the LOD=USD. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong!
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Farsun » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:03 am

lmao here we go.

Whatever. Have fun struggling to figure this out and arguing with your epeens so your nation can be all mighty and powerful.

This game is the single biggest joke ever.

Farsun, out.
Farsun

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:44 am

Farsun wrote:
II. Currency
A. The current currency system put in place by the game based upon the LOD will remain the default and official currency system of Terra. The exchange rates can be found here: http://classic.particracy.net/rates.php

Economic protocols, while they are optional, that part of it was not and that was said many times by Amaz, Liu and JBN.

What does this have to do with equating the US dollar to Lodamun's currency? You still haven't explained that bit. I don't remember anything being said about that particular part of the rule not being optional. Even the guy you quoted, Liu Che (who is also Urien) doesn't know what you're talking about:
Liu Che/Zhuli wrote:I checked the Forums this morning and there is no record of any official ruling on whether the LOD=USD. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

I don't see why you need to be hung up on a minor detail of a set of protocols that Liu Che made, when even Liu Che isn't hung up on it. The Economic Protocols can be amended, or done away with altogether like the Pax Cynica.

Moderation can't enforce the LOD being the default currency for all international reports or trades or whatever. If I quote everything in BEL or INS, what is Aquinas going to do... issue me a warning and threaten to ban me? Delete the post? That would be silly.

What if all characters in the game (outside of Lodamun's own players) hate and embargo Lodamun? It's only realistic that the "financial centre" of the world changes in such a case. I remember a country (I think it was Solentia) even banning the LOD. Apart from you (and maybe Afrocentric), I don't remember anyone else being hung up on this minor detail. It really doesn't matter which currency information is listed in; as long as all information is listed in a single currency, it's useful. I don't think anyone has the time to be converting and re-converting currencies to compare their budgets to other countries and to know what they should spend on a particular ministry to match or surpass another country. A player in Saridan may just find it more useful to have everything shown in Saridan's currency.

I think we ought to have a poll on this.

Farsun wrote:lmao here we go.

Whatever. Have fun struggling to figure this out and arguing with your epeens so your nation can be all mighty and powerful.

Interestingly, you're the one arguing that my nation is more important/relevant than it really is.
I also don't see how equating the USD to the LOD would help with realism, when all economies are roughly the same size (regardless of which static currency we use). Even the Econ protocols didn't help much with realism, and in some instances didn't match the game's numbers. It only helped with realism in the sense that countries with big-government laws should RP a big-government budget, but it didn't go much into which countries would be more or less economically powerful.

Farsun wrote:This game is the single biggest joke ever.

Farsun, out.

If it's for real this time, good riddance.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Farsun » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:51 am

Guys, lets use the Karav currency so Siggon can be even more self-absorbed then he already is.

Siggon, if you were less of a tool, you'd actually be a pretty cool dude.

lol. This guy, funny shit.
Farsun

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:04 am

Farsun wrote:Guys, lets use the Karav currency so Siggon can be even more self-absorbed then he already is.

No, not saying that we need to use the dynamic currency...
But what if someone wants to quote statistics in their own country? Why shouldn't they be allowed to do that?

What if someone wants to RP a financial institution that publishes reports, and it chooses to do so in a currency apart from LOD? - not KRV, but Egelion's currency, or Indrala's currency, or Saridan's currency, or Solentia's currency, or Zardugal's currency? - Shouldn't a player be able to do this?

What if a country bans the LOD, and chooses to trade with other countries in a different currency? What if there is significant participation in such an RP event? What if Solentia and Zardugal successfully isolated Lodamun and banned LOD while using Zardugal's currency for international trade? Why should that be disallowed? What if all countries isolated Lodamun and decided to use another nation's currency for trading? Wouldn't it be the new currency?

It would be nice if you answered these questions. Feel free to continue this discussion in the other thread. I don't want to derail this too far.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Farsun » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:06 am

Actually, Liu and yourself derailed this thread, not me.

This is the Particracy FAQ thread brah, cho cho hop on board the derailment train.
Farsun

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:19 am

Farsun wrote:Actually, Liu and yourself derailed this thread, not me.

This is the Particracy FAQ thread brah, cho cho hop on board the derailment train.

I didn't accuse you of derailing the thread. I said that I don't want to derail it too far, so I'm taking responsibility and directing particular comments to another thread.

To get back to topic, the whole "1 LOD = 1 USD" thing should not go in the game's FAQs or Random Facts until it is explained how that conclusion was drawn.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Aquinas » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:01 pm

Whilst we are talking about the development of Particracy's FAQ, there will inevitably be different points of view about exactly what should be stated there. That sort of discussion is healthy really, because we all want to make sure the new FAQ is as accurate and helpful as possible - so we need scrutiny of what is proposed. When a debate about a particular issue goes beyond a certain point, it is probably best to move it to a different thread. Which Siggon, to his credit, has done by setting up the Lodamun's Currency thread.

I want to issue a general reminder to everyone to treat their fellow Particracy members with respect and courtesy. We're all passionate about Particracy - but nothing too fierce, please!
Aquinas

PreviousNext

Return to General