Particracy economics brainstorm (was Economic Protocols)

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Particracy economics brainstorm (was Economic Protocols)

Postby Zongxian » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:25 pm

Kubrick wrote:
Aquinas wrote:- How would it be decided which nation has which resources?

In my opinion several ways, what has been roleplayed historically? What do the players in the nation expect? What does the RL equivalent of the nation have? What would fit in the climate map/continent for that area?

Regarding climate maps, before decisions are made about resource distribution the accuracy for climates should be reviewed. I've seen a ocean current map, and it is grossly simplified and unrealistic in some areas. This is important since direction of currents will influence coastal geographies and natural resources (mostly agriculture). I haven't come across any Terra-wide climate maps, but I found one for Artania and Dovani, neither having keys identifying the climatic zones. The Dovanian map is a good example for quality, and it looks like its on the right course in identifying climates. The north looks pretty good, though I'm questioning the accuracy of the equatorial areas.

I think when I rewrote Dranland's geography (which had been described as tropical on the wiki) a while ago, I referred to that Dovani climate map. I treated the light purple as sub-arctic and the yellow as temperate. And giving consideration for more realistic currents, I identified the presence of a coastal maritime climate. I intended to go more in depth with more specific Köppen classification, but never got around to it.
Zongxian

Postby Kubrick » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:32 pm

Zongxian wrote:
Kubrick wrote:
Aquinas wrote:- How would it be decided which nation has which resources?

In my opinion several ways, what has been roleplayed historically? What do the players in the nation expect? What does the RL equivalent of the nation have? What would fit in the climate map/continent for that area?

Regarding climate maps, before decisions are made about resource distribution the accuracy for climates should be reviewed. I've seen a ocean current map, and it is grossly simplified and unrealistic in some areas. This is important since direction of currents will influence coastal geographies and natural resources (mostly agriculture). I haven't come across any Terra-wide climate maps, but I found one for Artania and Dovani, neither having keys identifying the climatic zones. The Dovanian map is a good example for quality, and it looks like its on the right course in identifying climates. The north looks pretty good, though I'm questioning the accuracy of the equatorial areas.

I think when I rewrote Dranland's geography (which had been described as tropical on the wiki) a while ago, I referred to that Dovani climate map. I treated the light purple as sub-arctic and the yellow as temperate. And giving consideration for more realistic currents, I identified the presence of a coastal maritime climate. I intended to go more in depth with more specific Köppen classification, but never got around to it.

I made this one years ago: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/par ... 1114191120
Back then all I worked with was that Majatra seemed to be the Middle-East of Particracy with many Mediterranean nations present as well. It's based of Australia's climate maps, it seemed like a compromise given the location of Vanuku, in between two oceans.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Aquinas » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:23 pm

We're getting some interesting contributions here. As I said before, not promising anything, but listening closely.

I've dug up Jalal's natural resources list: Terran Resources Project
Aquinas

Postby Zongxian » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:35 pm

Kubrick wrote:I made this one years ago: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/par ... 1114191120
Back then all I worked with was that Majatra seemed to be the Middle-East of Particracy with many Mediterranean nations present as well. It's based of Australia's climate maps, it seemed like a compromise given the location of Vanuku, in between two oceans.

I would say that looks pretty representative of a realistic climate. Though I'd say the west coast, as far north as the end of the mountains, would not be subtropical. The coastal currents would be too cold to support that climate. And winds coming from the north, that definitely support the other defined subtropical zones. Maybe there should even be more in the south where those grasslands are, especially considering the mountains that sit just south.

These are all just educated assumptions; Terra has very unique shapes and conditions, which makes it awkward trying to figure out some geographic areas!

Aquinas wrote:We're getting some interesting contributions here. As I said before, not promising anything, but listening closely.

I've dug up Jalal's natural resources list: Terran Resources Project

It's incomplete, but for those resources that are listed, I'd say those would probably be accurate locations.
Zongxian

Postby Kubrick » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:31 pm

VANUKU
-OIL
-FISH
-ALUMINUM

Well, that's almost uncanny, seems I agree wholeheartedly with this guy I never met. I would just add small arms manufacturer to it, seeing as the Belgian firearms industry has been added to Vanuku. Brilliant stuff.

Zongxian wrote:
Kubrick wrote:I made this one years ago: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/par ... 1114191120

I would say that looks pretty representative of a realistic climate. Though I'd say the west coast, as far north as the end of the mountains, would not be subtropical. The coastal currents would be too cold to support that climate. And winds coming from the north, that definitely support the other defined subtropical zones. Maybe there should even be more in the south where those grasslands are, especially considering the mountains that sit just south.

These are all just educated assumptions; Terra has very unique shapes and conditions, which makes it awkward trying to figure out some geographic areas!

Thanks! I don't know shit about weather, climate and the factors that influence it so it was all done after looking at some maps of Australia and just doodling away. Glad it at least makes a little sense for those with more trained eyes. Once I get some motivation going I will welcome any input from you, perhaps including some rough sketches of Majatra and other continents itself, on what the proper climate maps should be. I will be willing to make such maps for all continents with fitting descriptions so people have a thing to go on.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Farsun » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:34 pm

I think resources should be infinite for the sheer fact that we move through time incredibly fast and it'd be maybe 3 or 4 in-game months before we raped the forests of Dorvik or oil of Kafuristan. It's more of an RP element and a way for nations to play with geopolitics a little bit, for instance I've always invested in Majatra for the sheer fact that they have large oil reserve. It's just a geopolitical element to the game that most people neglect.

I think the resources should be assigned and that's that and no one can argue that. I'm tired of new players being able to "opt out" of things, this isn't testing or common core (for you US players), jesus, when you join NationStates and enter into a region/area you are to abide by those rules and by god why shouldn't we do the same? Being a new player isn't an excuse for breaking the rules, misunderstanding, entirely but not breaking. I think when the resources are assigned they can be attached to CPs as part of the protection.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Zongxian » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:49 pm

Kubrick wrote:Thanks! I don't know shit about weather, climate and the factors that influence it so it was all done after looking at some maps of Australia and just doodling away. Glad it at least makes a little sense for those with more trained eyes. Once I get some motivation going I will welcome any input from you, perhaps including some rough sketches of Majatra and other continents itself, on what the proper climate maps should be. I will be willing to make such maps for all continents with fitting descriptions so people have a thing to go on.

No problem; I'm no expert, but within my undergraduate geography minor I focused all my coursework on climatology and urban planning.

I'm not great with making maps, but it'd be enough to get the point across. So I could definitely put together some rough climatic maps that could then be translated into a clean final product.

Farsun wrote:I think resources should be infinite for the sheer fact that we move through time incredibly fast and it'd be maybe 3 or 4 in-game months before we raped the forests of Dorvik or oil of Kafuristan. It's more of an RP element and a way for nations to play with geopolitics a little bit, for instance I've always invested in Majatra for the sheer fact that they have large oil reserve. It's just a geopolitical element to the game that most people neglect.

I agree. Finite resources would hurt the game.

And anyways, infinite resources will go along well with the infinitely continuous present-day technology levels!

Farsun wrote:I think the resources should be assigned and that's that and no one can argue that. I'm tired of new players being able to "opt out" of things, this isn't testing or common core (for you US players), jesus, when you join NationStates and enter into a region/area you are to abide by those rules and by god why shouldn't we do the same? Being a new player isn't an excuse for breaking the rules, misunderstanding, entirely but not breaking. I think when the resources are assigned they can be attached to CPs as part of the protection.

Also agree; though I think resource assignment would be mostly limited to the primary sector. When you start getting into the secondary sector, I think this then expands into the broader issue of economic protocols. And in this case, players would then be required to be limited to only those manufacturing industries that are possible based upon their own raw goods and their imports.
Beyond this, the other sectors are pretty much a non-issue (other than what retail stores are able to sell and that sort of stuff); nothing that needs major focus right now.
Zongxian

Postby Farsun » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:52 pm

Zongxian wrote:Also agree; though I think resource assignment would be mostly limited to the primary sector. When you start getting into the secondary sector, I think this then expands into the broader issue of economic protocols. And in this case, players would then be required to be limited to only those manufacturing industries that are possible based upon their own raw goods and their imports.
Beyond this, the other sectors are pretty much a non-issue (other than what retail stores are able to sell and that sort of stuff); nothing that needs major focus right now.

I think we can leave it at major level sectors such as Oil, specific minerals, lumber and others and we'll quite alright.
Farsun

Postby Zongxian » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:04 am

Farsun wrote:
Zongxian wrote:Also agree; though I think resource assignment would be mostly limited to the primary sector. When you start getting into the secondary sector, I think this then expands into the broader issue of economic protocols. And in this case, players would then be required to be limited to only those manufacturing industries that are possible based upon their own raw goods and their imports.

I think we can leave it at major level sectors such as Oil, specific minerals, lumber and others and we'll quite alright.

The only thing I'd add to that is a broad rule, across all sectors, requiring compliance with geographic limitations (eg, no major rice production in Trigunia).
Zongxian

Postby Farsun » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:40 am

Naturally, I mean in Dorvik the northern portion of the country is sub-artic, hardly a place to grow crops. The south of the country, yeah maybe some colder-weather crops and some agriculture close to the Alorian and Kirlawan border but otherwise the natural resources would have to make sense within the area of your country.
Farsun

PreviousNext

Return to General