Television ownership

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Television ownership

Postby Arizal1 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi,

We have a little problem in Ibutho concerning one of the policies, the one about television. We are disagreeing about what means some choices.

Subject A national television medium subsidized by the government.
Proposed value
[*]All television media are private.

[*]The government subsidises a national TV station for educational and informational purposes.

[*]All TV stations are owned by independent non-profit making cooperatives which are subsidised by the government

[*]All TV stations are owned by independent non-profit making cooperatives which receive no subsidies from the government

[*]The government subsidises independent non profit making cooperatives for educational and informational purposes; other private non-subsidised TV stations are allowed.

Of those five choices, the one which poses problem is the second one (the one which is highlighted). Does it mean that there is only one television station which only talks about informational and educational stuff and that there are no private station whatsoever, or does it rather mean that there is one station talking about informational educational stuff and entirely private stations next to it (opposed to the choice 3 which would mean those stations would be (heavily?) subsidized by the government; or opposed to the choice 5)?

The choices are not that clear, since they appeal to different values :
- Whether the stations are private or public;
- Whether the stations are subsidized or not;
- Whether the stations are owned by non-profit organizations or by private companies.

So, what to do with those suggestions?
(feel free to transfer this in the Creating the Law section. I just felt it was a generic question about the game)
The Social-Liberal Caucus (Ibutho) (Inactive) (Particracy Classic)
Demokrat Konservativen Partei (DKP) (Narikaton and Darnussia) (Particracy Classic)
The Federalistische Partij (Laaglanden) (Particracy Dev)
Arizal1

Re: Television ownership

Postby Aquinas » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:05 pm

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Looking at the descriptions of the range of options available under that law and analysing them collectively, I would work on the assumption that "The government subsidises a national TV station for educational and informational purposes" means there is a national TV station but private TV stations are also allowed.

I share your concern that this law (along with some other laws, actually) is not worded as clearly as it might be. If you or anybody else would like to propose a re-editing of this or any other law, then you are very welcome to do that in the 'Creating the Law' sub-forum.
Aquinas

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Aquinas wrote:Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Looking at the descriptions of the range of options available under that law and analysing them collectively, I would work on the assumption that "The government subsidises a national TV station for educational and informational purposes" means there is a national TV station but private TV stations are also allowed.

I share your concern that this law (along with some other laws, actually) is not worded as clearly as it might be. If you or anybody else would like to propose a re-editing of this or any other law, then you are very welcome to do that in the 'Creating the Law' sub-forum.

One specifies that TV stations are allowed: "The government subsidises independent non profit making cooperatives for educational and informational purposes; other private non-subsidised TV stations are allowed."

Is it possible for you to edit it for it to explicitly state that private non-subsidised TV stations are also allowed? Until then, I'll have trouble accepting your interpretation.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Aquinas » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:26 pm

I have implemented the change you requested and hope this will be helpful, both for players generally and for this particular situation in Ibutho.
Aquinas

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:30 pm

Aquinas wrote:I have implemented the change you requested and hope this will be helpful, both for players generally and for this particular situation in Ibutho.

Thanks. Yes, that clarity will kill any ambiguity.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Return to General