Say your piece, make suggestions and offer feedback to any aspect of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Nation Renaming Guide: feedback

Postby OneTime » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:21 pm

Aquinas wrote:
Polites wrote:
OneTime wrote:Just a quick question, Istalia has a large historical Quanzari population (which is tied to the Ahmadi religion), I believe it is 29% of the 32% total Majatran population of the nation in the current Cultural Protocols. If I were to gain control of the nation, would I be allowed to rename it in Quanzari (OOC: Maltese)?

As far as I can tell, no CP currently defines Quanzari as Maltese. Actually, I am working on RPing that language emerge as the new primary language of Cildania, so we should probably not have a culture for which there isn't that much demand pop up in two different places.

In terms of the rules, the situation is that nation titles can be in a language other than the language(s) listed in the Nation Renaming Guide "at Moderation's discretion and where a very strong case has been presented". Istalia's listed language is Italian.

Like Polites, I am not aware of Maltese being a significant language in Istalia. The Cultural Protocols list Arabic as Istalia's second language, after Italian.

If you were role-playing a Quanzari/Majatran party in Istalia and won power, you could certainly make a case for changing the nation title to Arabic/Majatran, to reflect the political ascendancy of the Quanzari/Majatran minority.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, but I think I remeber the Solentians changing the Quanzari language to RL Maltese, but maybe I was mistaken. On either accord, thanks again.
OneTime

Postby Polites » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:23 pm

OneTime wrote:Thanks for clearing that up for me, but I think I remeber the Solentians changing the Quanzari language to RL Maltese, but maybe I was mistaken. On either accord, thanks again.

It's been suggested several times and unofficially assumed to be true, but it was never fully RPd or introduced in any CP (except for the old Sekowan one, no longer active).
Polites

Postby Aquinas » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:53 pm

"Athlorcea" has been added as an acceptable alternative core name for Hutori.
Aquinas

Postby SelucianCrusader » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:38 pm

Okay, so I'd like to petition to make Armenian (Pontosi) and Latin (Ponticum) acceptable languages for Pontesi. The official title has been used in Latin many frequently in the past, and Seluciandom has had firm presence in Pontesi for least 750 years now. On top of that, the now-hard-coded region names have been Selucian-style for at least 400 years. IdioC and I argued that the reason for this is the strong Selucian influence on the upper classes of the country. While Arev Mardik (Armenian) to my knowledge never been used in the nation's title (yet), it is the orginal language of Pontesi's native inhabitants, and allowing its use would be consistent with section 16.5.1 of the rules:

16.5.1 Whilst significant changes should always be justified by role-play, where certain factors are present, Moderation reserves the discretion to adopt a more restrictive or a more relaxed approach to proposed changes. These factors include:

- Where it is deemed to be desirable to protect or promote cultures regarded as under-represented in the game world.

- Where it is deemed to be desirable to limit or reduce cultures regarded as over-represented in the game world.

- Where there are issues involved with a culture not being sufficiently accessible to players.

- Where players not present in the nation but with a strong connection to it are deemed to have presented a strong case. In particular, the nation's recent players, as well as players in the surrounding nations, may be deemed to have a legitimate interest.

My work to expand Armenian at the cost of Jelbic has received support from many veteran players, including the creator of Jelbic himself (IdioC), and I don't see anyone objecting to making Pontesi more accessible for newer (or IMHO any) players.
SelucianCrusader

Postby Aquinas » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:51 pm

Going by section 16.5.1 of the rules, I think you would have a strong case for a proposal to amend Pontesi's Cultural Protocols in the direction of something more accessible (like Armenian).

I hope you will excuse me for not being as well-versed in Pontesi's history as you are. Could you show me some evidence of Pontesi's nation name being in Latin in the past, and/or Latin being RP'ed as a significant language in Selucia? If you can do this, I would not have too much trouble adding Latin to the list, especially as Selucians make up 26% of the population.

It would seem to me that adding Armenian to the list would be more difficult to justify right now, although this position could well change after the next Cultural Protocol update.
Aquinas

Postby SelucianCrusader » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:57 pm

Aquinas wrote:Going by section 16.5.1 of the rules, I think you would have a strong case for a proposal to amend Pontesi's Cultural Protocols in the direction of something more accessible (like Armenian).

I hope you will excuse me for not being as well-versed in Pontesi's history as you are. Could you show me some evidence of Pontesi's nation name being in Latin in the past, and/or Latin being RP'ed as a significant language in Selucia? If you can do this, I would not have too much trouble adding Latin to the list, especially as Selucians make up 26% of the population.

It would seem to me that adding Armenian to the list would be more difficult to justify right now, although this position could well change after the next Cultural Protocol update.

Sure! Having investigated our history a little, I've found that Pontesi has had a nation title in Latin at least four times in the last 522 years: 1, 2, 3, 4. Some time later I, as the sole player in Pontesi during that time, agreed to "retcon" the Selucian name for Pontesi to "Ponticum" after consulting with Polites: 5.

OOC: After discussions with Polites, a better Selucian translation for the name Pontesi has been worked out. The new name is "Ponticum" ("Maritime" in Latin) This also explains the etymology of the Pntek and Luthori names for the nation.

All right. I'll work that out. :)
SelucianCrusader

Postby Aquinas » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:48 am

Latin has been added for Pontesi.
Aquinas

Postby SelucianCrusader » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:02 pm

As a result of the latest CP revision, I guess Armenian should be added for Pontesi. :D
SelucianCrusader

Postby Aquinas » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:16 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:As a result of the latest CP revision, I guess Armenian should be added for Pontesi. :D

Done.
Aquinas

Postby Polites » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:00 pm

With the new Cildanian CP, Maltese can be added as Cildania main language.
Polites

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback