Say your piece, make suggestions and offer feedback to any aspect of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Nation Renaming Guide: feedback

Postby Polites » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:30 pm

As mentioned in the Hard Nations thread, I think Cobura should be allowed to use Coptic for its nation name, alongside Esperanto. IG, this is justified by an official policy of promoting Irkawan as a lingua franca in lieu of Augustan (see here and here), as well as the existence of an Irkawan-centred royal regime (see here, here, here, or here). In fact, I think all multi-lingual nations should be allowed to have their nation name in any of their national languages, provided they are spoken by a significant percentage of the population and are granted official or unofficial government support.
Polites

Postby Aquinas » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:52 pm

The Nation Renaming Guide has been amended to make Coptic an authorised language for naming Cobura's name. Also sent a message to Cobura about this, and suggested they might want to consider reflecting the increase in Coptic/Irkawan-speaking in their next Cultural Protocols update.

Bear in mind, by the way, that the fact a language isn't "authorised" for a nation in the Nation Renaming Guide does not absolutely mean that language cannot be used. Exceptions can be "granted at Moderation's discretion and where a very strong case has been presented" (6.3, Rules). So there is some leeway there, if a strong enough argument can be made.
Aquinas

Postby Aquinas » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:00 pm

MichaelReilly wrote:Can I express my explicit disapproval?

I explicitly disapprove.

Of course you can. I'm sorry you don't like this part of the new rules, Michael, and I appreciate you've been in Narikaton & Darnussia for a long time, and that (I think) for most or all of that time you've had an English nation name. We do think this move is for the best in the long term, though, and I very much hope you'll continue to enjoy Narikaton & Darnussia, despite the changes.
Aquinas

Postby Arizal1 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:39 am

I don't really understand why Ibutho should be renamed Ikradon. According to the thread about Ibutho in the International News, it has almost always been named Ibutho. When I arrived, it certainly had this name, at least. And without willing to hurt anybody, Ikradon seems greek to me (because of the "krad" part, I guess). Someone can enlighten me?
The Social-Liberal Caucus (Ibutho) (Inactive) (Particracy Classic)
Demokrat Konservativen Partei (DKP) (Narikaton and Darnussia) (Particracy Classic)
The Federalistische Partij (Laaglanden) (Particracy Dev)
Arizal1

Postby Polites » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:02 am

Arizal1 wrote:I don't really understand why Ibutho should be renamed Ikradon. According to the thread about Ibutho in the International News, it has almost always been named Ibutho. When I arrived, it certainly had this name, at least. And without willing to hurt anybody, Ikradon seems greek to me (because of the "krad" part, I guess). Someone can enlighten me?

It doesn't have to be named Ikradon, but it can, since that was the original name of the nation. The guide mentions both as its core names ("Ikradon - Ibutho: Zulu"). Maybe for the sake of clarity the hyphen could be replaced with a slash?
Polites

Postby Aquinas » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:58 am

Thanks for spotting this, guys. Polites is right; Ibutho does not need to be renamed to "Ikradon". The hyphen in the Nation Renaming Guide has now been replaced with a slash.
Aquinas

Postby Aquinas » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:36 am

The Nation Renaming Guide has been amended to establish that if players are struggling with translating any nation name in any language, they are permitted to translate it into English if they have not had a translation request fulfilled within 7 days of posting one on the Language Assistance Requests thread.

We have also added suggest ethnicised versions of some of the nation's core names. Please feel free to suggest changes or additions, although please bear in mind there is only a limited amount of space to add these in the the Nation Renaming Guide.
Aquinas

Postby OneTime » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:25 am

Just a quick question, Istalia has a large historical Quanzari population (which is tied to the Ahmadi religion), I believe it is 29% of the 32% total Majatran population of the nation in the current Cultural Protocols. If I were to gain control of the nation, would I be allowed to rename it in Quanzari (OOC: Maltese)?
OneTime

Postby Polites » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:18 am

OneTime wrote:Just a quick question, Istalia has a large historical Quanzari population (which is tied to the Ahmadi religion), I believe it is 29% of the 32% total Majatran population of the nation in the current Cultural Protocols. If I were to gain control of the nation, would I be allowed to rename it in Quanzari (OOC: Maltese)?

As far as I can tell, no CP currently defines Quanzari as Maltese. Actually, I am working on RPing that language emerge as the new primary language of Cildania, so we should probably not have a culture for which there isn't that much demand pop up in two different places.
Polites

Postby Aquinas » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:59 am

Polites wrote:
OneTime wrote:Just a quick question, Istalia has a large historical Quanzari population (which is tied to the Ahmadi religion), I believe it is 29% of the 32% total Majatran population of the nation in the current Cultural Protocols. If I were to gain control of the nation, would I be allowed to rename it in Quanzari (OOC: Maltese)?

As far as I can tell, no CP currently defines Quanzari as Maltese. Actually, I am working on RPing that language emerge as the new primary language of Cildania, so we should probably not have a culture for which there isn't that much demand pop up in two different places.

In terms of the rules, the situation is that nation titles can be in a language other than the language(s) listed in the Nation Renaming Guide "at Moderation's discretion and where a very strong case has been presented". Istalia's listed language is Italian.

Like Polites, I am not aware of Maltese being a significant language in Istalia. The Cultural Protocols list Arabic as Istalia's second language, after Italian.

If you were role-playing a Quanzari/Majatran party in Istalia and won power, you could certainly make a case for changing the nation title to Arabic/Majatran, to reflect the political ascendancy of the Quanzari/Majatran minority.
Aquinas

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback