Help: Language Assistance

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Language assistance requests

Postby Polites » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Japanese actually has "wo" (not anymore in the literary language, but the sound is still present in some dialects, and the character itself, を/ヲ remains in official usage) , so no reason to call Sekowo Sekouo. Not to mention that "ou" is used in some Romanization systems as an equivalent of "ō" in others, meaning that "Sekouo" would be read as "Sekōo". I recommend the name of the nation be rendered as "Seikowo" (セーコヲ), so that one could use 生 (セー, sei) as the first character for the name in Kanji and an abbreviation for "Sekowo" as a whole (making combinations like 英生戰爭 - Eisei Sensō = "Indralan-Sekowan War" work in Japanese).
Polites

Postby Zongxian » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:16 pm

Polites wrote:Japanese actually has "wo" (not anymore in the literary language, but the sound is still present in some dialects, and the character itself, を/ヲ remains in official usage) , so no reason to call Sekowo Sekouo. Not to mention that "ou" is used in some Romanization systems as an equivalent of "ō" in others, meaning that "Sekouo" would be read as "Sekōo". I recommend the name of the nation be rendered as "Seikowo" (セーコヲ), so that one could use 生 (セー, sei) as the first character for the name in Kanji and an abbreviation for "Sekowo" as a whole (making combinations like 英生戰爭 - Eisei Sensō = "Indralan-Sekowan War" work in Japanese).

As a student of (elementary) Japanese, I second this recommendation.

The spelling of the Sekowo as 'Sekouo' is very awkward when considering the Hiragana/Katakana spellings and the equivalent Romaji.

Also, Kanji isn't not my thing, but it could be possible for Sekowo's kanji spelling to be 生国. I don't know that any characters exist to represent "kowo." 生国 (green country) would be a formal/official name (like Japan = 日本国 nippon-koku), and セーコヲ would be the common, generally used name (Japan = 日本 nihon). And then, as you suggested, 生 itself could be an abbreviation within context.
Zongxian

Postby Polites » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:02 am

Zongxian wrote:As a student of (elementary) Japanese, I second this recommendation.

The spelling of the Sekowo as 'Sekouo' is very awkward when considering the Hiragana/Katakana spellings and the equivalent Romaji.

Also, Kanji isn't not my thing, but it could be possible for Sekowo's kanji spelling to be 生国. I don't know that any characters exist to represent "kowo." 生国 (green country) would be a formal/official name (like Japan = 日本国 nippon-koku), and セーコヲ would be the common, generally used name (Japan = 日本 nihon). And then, as you suggested, 生 itself could be an abbreviation within context.

Considering that IC the name of Sekowo is of non-Gao-Showan origin, I think the common unofficial name does not need to be rendered in Kanji. The official name could be 生国 (Seikoku) in Kunikata, 生國 (Shiikuku) in Sekowan/Okinawan, and 生國 (Shēngguó) in Indralan, also rendered (I think) as 생국 (Saengguk) in Kyomal.

Following the same logic, why not modify the official name of Indrala into 英國 (Yīngguó = "flower country" or "brave country"). It is the way "England" is translated into East Asian languages, but I think it makes sense linguistically to make it the name of Indrala.
Polites

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:02 pm

I can assist with Chinese.

As per the renaming of Indrala, I would very much like a rename, as Indrala, sounds way too Indian or Southeast Asian. Yingguo could work, but I would like to find a different "ying" to use as a translation so as to keep it separate from Britain/England.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Kubrick » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:41 pm

I think it is a little too far down the road to start changing so many nation names. Vanuku sounds and looks horrendous in Dutch and it doesn't fit in Jelbic either.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Polites » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:31 pm

Yeah, I don't think we need to change nation names either. But creating a reasonable translation of those names into their native languages is a different thing.
Polites

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm

That is a valid concern. Yingdala does work as 瑩大磖, the "Jade like and Large Towering Rock", which could be a metaphor for a lush and fertile island with plateaus and mountains. That could be the poetic name, like 華夏 (Huaxia) in China. 瑩國 (Yingguo), the "Jade like Country", could be the actual nation name in terms of a translation that would reflect the poetic name.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Polites » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Did IdioC take down the Jelbic dictionary?
Polites

Postby Farsun » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:39 pm

Polites wrote:Did IdioC take down the Jelbic dictionary?

http://www.idioc.co.uk/

email him, seems he moved it
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Aquinas » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:14 pm

I have updated the OP to include a list of members who report having a degree of knowledge of a non-English language and would be willing to help with translations. Looks very impressive, I must say...
Aquinas

PreviousNext

Return to General