Language assistance requests & nation title lists

General discussions about the Particracy web game.

Re: Naming the hard-to-name nations

Postby Polites » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:43 pm

Aquinas wrote:Given the challenges involved with Persian, we are now specifically requesting nation titles for Aldegar. In future, Aldegar's players will be allowed to have their nation name in English if they put in a translation request for a new title which is not met within a week.

I'll provide some nation names soon enough. In the meantime, as an alternative to Farsi or English, players could use Tajik, the variety of Persian spoken in Tajikistan, considering that Google Translate does transliterate Tajik.
Me pinguem et nitidum bene curata cute vises,
Cum ridere voles, Epicuri de grege porcum
Polites

Re: Language Assistance Requests

Postby J4C0B65 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:51 pm

If assistance is needed with Spanish: Baltusia, Gaduridos and Egelion, I could be of some use.
Classic Particracy

Parti Conservateur Democratique (Lourenne) - Inactive
Parti Conservateur Democratique (Rildanor) - Inactive
Partido Nacional (Gaduridos) - Inactive
National Conservative Party (Beiteynu) - Inactive
J4C0B65

Postby Aquinas » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:27 pm

J4C0B65 wrote:If assistance is needed with Spanish: Baltusia, Gaduridos and Egelion, I could be of some use.

Added you to the list.
Aquinas

Postby Iestwyn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:03 pm

Calling all Pntek experts! (As far as I understand, that's the Jelbic dialect used in Pontesi. ... Right?)

In order to better comply with Pontesi's Cultural Protocols, I'd love to translate my party's name into Pntek. It's Victoria Animi, Selucian (Latin) for Triumph of the Mind.
Iestwyn

Postby Polites » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Iestwyn wrote:Calling all Pntek experts! (As far as I understand, that's the Jelbic dialect used in Pontesi. ... Right?)In order to better comply with Pontesi's Cultural Protocols, I'd love to translate my party's name into Pntek. It's Victoria Animi, Selucian (Latin) for Triumph of the Mind.

Srlék Grzmojad would, I think, be the best translation; Srl is Jelbic for "soul, mind", much like Latin anima.
Polites

Postby Iestwyn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Interesting! Thanks!

I know Jelbic is a fairly flushed-out language, but Pntek is, too? (By the way, I don't know how to type unusual or accented characters. ... How?)
Iestwyn

Postby Polites » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:42 pm

Jelbek, Pntek, and Brmek (and to some extent Wrnukek) are all Jelbic languages, and they are almost identical, with the exception of the source vocabulary for loan words (Jelbek generally uses Deltarian, i.e. Slavic words, Persian and Aramaic for Brmek, Armenian and Latin for Pntek, and Dutch for Wrnukek). Of these, Jelbek has a very elaborate dictionary, and there's a smaller one for Brmek; the other languages don't have separate dictionaries, at least not yet; this is the common core vocabulary for all Jelbic languages. For special characters, the best option is copy-pasting :)
Polites

Postby Zanz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:22 pm

And, if you were curious, Srlék Grzmojad translates literally as "Mind's victory". The ék piece indicates possession, Grzmojad is a gerund from the verb grzmo (to win).
Official Troll King since 8/14/2013.
Zanz

Postby Iestwyn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:34 pm

Very interesting---and impressive! So do any of you have actual experience with Slavic languages, and that's where you get the grammar? The "ek" possessive suffix, for example?
Iestwyn

Postby Zanz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:51 pm

Iestwyn wrote:Very interesting---and impressive! So do any of you have actual experience with Slavic languages, and that's where you get the grammar? The "ek" possessive suffix, for example?

Polites speaks like 45 languages, because he's been forced to Roma-cross Europe for ages, but no - not really. IdioC was the original creator of the language and his work had it sort of as a mix of Slavic languages and Japanese, AFAIK. It's sort of become everybody's baby since then - IdioC does some development now and then, I've done most of the Jelbék stuff with Reddy and Polites, and Polites and Kubrick and SelCru did most of Pontesi/Vanuku/Barmenia. It's sort of a beautiful mess, honestly. Nobody knows what's happening, which is probably pretty realistic.
Official Troll King since 8/14/2013.
Zanz

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion