New rules

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: New rules

Postby Aquinas » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:16 am

IdioC wrote:Doc's point gives me an idea. Although Empires and cultural unions are great in principle and true to history, perhaps we should reduce the ceiling on the number of nations with similar cultures. Perhaps even aggressively. Three total or even consider going down to two.

This has the benefit of encouaging players of a similar mind and cultural preference into a similar nation, rather than having three kings of the same playing by themselves (he says, having held Pontesi as a Jelbic thing in isolation for a while). Not only does this stimulate game play and stronger RP ideas, it also means we have more freed-up nations for new ideas to come to the fore.

The Selucians, for example, now have a strong influence in Pontesi and can make it a second vassel entity, while the Jelbic sphere shrinks to two nations (Barmenia is sufficiently different now). This is a better balance for the game world and also means fewer nations need to have a potentially offputting conlang, however much I may love it. Once I get my new job's shit together I hope to be a more active player with Zanz in Jelbania and actually contribute something again.

The current rules allow concerns about cultural over-representation to be taken into account when it comes to Cultural Protocol updates and the creation of new Cultural Protocols:

16.5.1 Whilst significant changes should always be justified by role-play, where certain factors are present, Moderation reserves the discretion to adopt a more restrictive or a more relaxed approach to proposed changes. These factors include:

- Where it is deemed to be desirable to protect or promote cultures regarded as under-represented in the game world.

- Where it is deemed to be desirable to limit or reduce cultures regarded as over-represented in the game world.

- Where there are issues involved with a culture not being sufficiently accessible to players.

- Where players not present in the nation but with a strong connection to it are deemed to have presented a strong case. In particular, the nation's recent players, as well as players in the surrounding nations, may be deemed to have a legitimate interest.

There has never been a general rule on how many nations there can be of a particular culture, although there was a statement on Jelbism a while back. Long-term, though, I think it is likely that if there are too many nations of one culture and those nations are not attracting players, then we will begin to see those nations falling to Culturally Open.
Aquinas

Postby IdioC » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:33 pm

For what it's worth, I've left Jelbania too. There's too much back catalogue now for me to catch up on to play a part, even though I started it. I won't contradict the work of others since out of respect but there aren't enough hours in the day.

I'll remain advisory.
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby Zanz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:50 pm

IdioC wrote:For what it's worth, I've left Jelbania too. There's too much back catalogue now for me to catch up on to play a part, even though I started it. I won't contradict the work of others since out of respect but there aren't enough hours in the day.

I'll remain advisory.

I'm sorry to see this happen. I didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't do what you were suggesting, only that we should work with the people who had made vague attempts at establishing a Jelbic religion prior to this very neat and creative religious suggestion to reconcile what they'd written with what we can do moving forward. I understand that RL takes precedence, but I hope you'll reconsider as you can!
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby IdioC » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Zanz wrote:
IdioC wrote:For what it's worth, I've left Jelbania too. There's too much back catalogue now for me to catch up on to play a part, even though I started it. I won't contradict the work of others since out of respect but there aren't enough hours in the day.

I'll remain advisory.

I'm sorry to see this happen. I didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't do what you were suggesting, only that we should work with the people who had made vague attempts at establishing a Jelbic religion prior to this very neat and creative religious suggestion to reconcile what they'd written with what we can do moving forward. I understand that RL takes precedence, but I hope you'll reconsider as you can!

Zanz, I appreciate on a forum it's very hard to get the feeling in text. I certainly didn't take your reply as a stonewall "No". I mean no ill-will but I cannot contribute at the level of time investment required in the way the game's cultures and identity -- which were once rewards for success in the Game Engine -- the way things are managed in the Game World today. I certainly don't want to undermine others' work through not having the time to read of it.

I have now seen things I started escalate against my original intentions (legislatively, not the culture itself) and know my time has come. I came here to create, but now to create one must destroy.

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby Kubrick » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:41 pm

Your creative work has founded one of the largest fantasy cultures I have ever witnessed, and one of the coolest as well. I was always sad I never got to meet you as a huge fan of the whole Jelbic thing but I'm glad you came down here after all these years, IdioC.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby IdioC » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:55 am

Kubrick, I had more time then. Since I left over three years ago, you have all made it richer and more interesting since. I just can't invest to that level with my working life; Jelbic culture's reached a level where it isn't really mine anymore. Not to disown it in spite, but to acknowledge that it has developed so much in the hands of others. :)

I'll work on Old High Jelbic for a bit then likely fade.

IdioC

Previous

Return to General