RP TEAM: Zanz opinion on Hutori/Kalistani/Trigunian incident

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

RP TEAM: Zanz opinion on Hutori/Kalistani/Trigunian incident

Postby Zanz » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:36 am

Overview and timeline:

Jan. 21
RIS roleplays an open ended viral outbreak in his own nation of Hutori.

Jan. 22
RIS posts an IC RP which claims the attack was due to one of "three suspects [...] Trigunia, Vanuku, and the terrorist organization known as the NAP."

A few minutes later Maxington, a player in Trigunia, expresses OOC that he wasn't consulted but is OK with continuing. RIS responds OOC that that was why he kept it open ended - so that if neither Vanuku nor Trigunia was interested, he could play it off as the NAP.

An hour later, Kubrick, a player in Vanuku (and in full disclosure, a member of the RP Team) states OOC that he is fine with Vanuku being framed, though Vanuku will not admit its involvement.

Jan. 23
Kubrick creates an IC post that outlines in the first person how his agent undertook the viral attack.

Doc, a player in Kalistan, interested in the increasing tensions between Dorvik and Trigunia, posts IC dispatching a submarine to the coast of Hutori, roughly located between the two powers. Its stated mission is to "keep an eye out for movement between Dorvik and Trigunia [...] And you will wait for things to go past."

Jan. 24
Doc posts an IC RP outlining the capabilities of his experimental submarine. It is stated to be "absolutely invisible in the water," and its torpedoes are designed "not be detected except with active sonar, and then they just supposedly look like sharks."

RIS posts IC [url=http://forum.particracy.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4018&start=930#p95511] blaming Vanuku for the attack, and claiming the arrest of a suspect.

Kubrick posts OOC a few minutes later expressing that RIS could not simply have arrested his character. RIS responds OOC that he never said the suspect arrested was the character Kubrick had written about on Jan. 23 and Kubrick responds OOC that he was mistaken, and sounds eager to undertake the RP, though it's clear it hasn't been planned in advance.

Jan. 25
RIS posts an IC news post claiming that Hutori is "reequiping ICBMs, Long Range Bombers, and Submarines with nuclear devices," and that its "Global Strike Command" is reopened.

RIS posts an IC first person RP in the second part, set at the "Global Strike Command" mentioned above, RIS claims that while "observing the ice-shelf for potential ICBM launches and when we switched from visible spectrum to EM" the Hutori military has identified an unusual electromagnetic (EM) signature under the ice. Hutori is said to have sent a vessel to scan the region with sonar (a search which found nothing) and then to have tasked a satellite to "watch that general location twenty four seven." Further, Hutori is said to have scrambled "some destroyers and submarines ASAP," presumably to the area, but it is difficult to tell.

Doc posts an IC first person RP in which his submarine responds to the fact that they've been pinged by active sonar (in RIS' first person post above). He explains how his ship emits electromagnetism during transmission of signals to Kalistan, and explains further that his ship's captain is attempting to limit the emission of electromagnetism by only raising their transmission antenna "a few times a day." The captain orders "absolute radio silence" and orders the submarine to relocate after receiving a message from Kalistani command. Their orders to relocate list coordinates in the middle of the Mad Dog Ocean, and they are ordered to wait for years. "They would be a bump on the bottom of the sea floor."

Jan. 26
RIS posts a three part IC first person RP. The first two relate to the ongoing storyline of the Vanukean agent and the Hutori suspicion that their suspect isnot the terrorist. The third part claims that the Hutorians have again located the Kalistani submarine's EM signature. They claim to have "isolated the EM signature and when it's active we can track it." The Hutori character claims that "with our global satellite system we should be able to see it whenever it becomes active." Two Sentinel class submarines are assigned to tail the presumed vessel, and an order is given to contact Trigunia in case the submarine is theirs.

A string of OOC posts by colonelvesica (an ex-Hutori player interested in the RP), Kubrick, and RIS makes it clear that the storyline of the Vanukean agent and his pursuants is not pre-planned.

Doc posts anIC first person RP which seems to be dated some significant time after the last post from the submarine. The experimental submarine has encountered serious technical problems. Still tracked by the Sentinals from Hutori, the captain has maintained radio silence but has now chosen to break that silence and order a rescue by a Kalistani merchant ship (which is actually military), at which point the plan is to scuttle the submarine. During their transmission, the Kalistani captain is careful (with the knowledge that she is being listened to) to follow a script which implies that the submarine was on a geological mission. The crew of the submarine evacuates and the submarine is successfully scuttled with numerous explosives. The crew arrives on the merchant ship.

Jan. 27
RIS posts an IC first person RP where the Hutorians pick up the transmission of the submarine and immediately search the area for nearby vessels. The colonel in charge of the mission quickly surmises that the submarine must be both experimental and planning to scuttle itself and seek rescue. The Hutorians visually identify an unknown civilian tanker with no further data in the general area. The Hutorians claim to have an aircraft carrier on return from Badara in the area of operation. Special forces on that carrier are tasked with quietly capturing the civilian tanker. They are helicoptered over the tanker and ready to board.

Jan. 28
Doc posts an IC first person RP detailing the arrival of the Hutorian special forces on the Kalistani tanker. This RP is very clearly coordinated with RIS, as Doc undertakes long dialogue with RIS' characters. The Hutorian motive for such a long chase of an unknown EM signature and the boarding of an unknown civilian vessel without cause is expounded upon - they were suspicious given the bioterrorist attack in Hutori. The mission of the submarine is explained to the Hutorian commander - the sub was on a surveillance mission to intercept Trigunian and Dorvish communications.

Jan. 29
Maxington posts an IC first person RP tasking a battle cruiser in the Aldegar Gulf with intercepting an unidentified vessel in the Mad Dog Ocean. The vessel is hailed and ordered to halt, as it is entering unauthorized waters. The vessel is unresponsive, but is identified as a tanker. The captain of the battle cruiser is explained as having the authorization to fire if the hail is not returned.

Jan. 30
Doc posts an IC first person RP wherein the tanker's crew is seen communicating with Kalistani command. The command of the tanker visually notices the presence of the Trigunian battlecruiser while in radio contact with Kalistani command. It is explained that the ship cannot receive or send messages to the ship until they are off the radio with Kalistan. The transmission from Kalistan is poor and is interspersed with unintelligible pieces of the hail from the Trigunian cruiser. Finally, Doc RPs the Trigunian battle cruiser as firing upon the tanker - presumably due to the lack of a response from the ship. The tanker is described as badly damaged.

RIS posts a two part IC first person RP. The first part of the RP details how the special operations team responds to the attack on the tanker which they have boarded. The commander of the special forces team orders covering fire from his overwatch. The second part details the actions of a Hutorian Sentinal class submarine, which opens its cruise missile bays and hails the battle cruiser, claiming that the tanker is under its protection and demanding a cease fire.

Maxington posts an IC first person RP detailing the battle cruiser's reasoning for firing. The tanker had not responded and was drifting into a supposedly mined area. The capabilities of the battle cruiser are described. The battle cruiser is described as having armed its S-400 missile defense system in response to the open threat of cruise missile attack by the Hutorian sub, as well as anti-ship missiles and various other weapons systems. All are aimed at the surfaced submarine. The sub is warned to divert course.

RIS posts an IC first person RP ordering the attack on the Trigunian battle cruiser. Six cruise missiles are claimed launched from the Hutorian subs, and five are claimed destroyed by Trigunian missile defense. One is claimed to have hit the battle cruiser. Extensive damage is RP'd to the Trigunian battle cruiser, and further damage is RP'd subsequently from the Hutorian drone in the area as well as strike fighters. The Trigunian vessel is effectively RP'd as sunk by RIS, with little opportunity for reply.

Doc posts an IC first person RP detailing the final sinking of the Kalistani tanker. The RP acknowledges the strike fighters from Hutori.

Maxington posts an IC news post RP which acknowledges both the destruction of the Kalistani tanker by its cruiser and the destruction of its battle cruiser by Hutori. The post expresses IC disbelief at the defeat of the S-400 missile defense system by Hutorian cruise missiles.

Doc posts an IC news post RP condemning Trigunia for the destruction of its tanker. It also condemns Hutori - though ICly it expresses confusion as to the role Hutori has played.

Maxington posts an IC news post RP expressing the willingness of the Trigunian government to work with the Kalistani government in matters of compensation for the destruction of the tanker. Further, it demands compensation from Hutori for the destruction of the Trigunian battle cruiser. A nuclear response is threatened.

Jan. 31
RIS posts an IC news post RP explaining the situation and claiming that the Kalistani tanker was traveling in "internationally recognized commercial shipping lanes."

colonelvesica posts OOC accusing RIS of "light powerplaying if not outright godmodding" in his second post on Jan. 30.

A few minutes later Maxington posts OOC that he also felt it was an unfair post as he was not given a chance to respond to RIS' attack. He agrees and states that "it is god-modding." Maxington expresses that he will void the destruction of the ship and continue from that point (essentially from where the Trigunian cruiser aimed its weapons at the Hutorian sub).

A few minutes later colonelvesica posts OOC asking for moderation intervention and requests at least the opportunity for Maxington to respond once RIS had ordered his attack. He claims that given the two ships' capabilities the submarine should have been sunk.

colonelvesica further responds OOC saying he's waiting for either moderation or the RP team to get involved.

Doc posts a long and detailed OOC account of how the RP has degraded due to lack of communication and agreement. Importantly, it is claimed in point 4 that Hutori had not been communicating with Kalistan whatsoever OOCly during the time of the RPs. It is also communicated in point 5 that Maxington had not planned his RP with Doc either, OOC, prior to the arrival of the Trigunian cruiser. Doc expresses his confusion at the supposed mining of an international trade corridor.

RIS posts an OOC response. He attempts to explain that the UAV was successful in its attack because Maxington had not RP'd noticing the drone's presence. It would be difficult to spot. He explains that the S-400 system might have been overwhelmed by a large number of incoming missiles, and he states that Hutori acquired F-35 jets from Zardugal. Finally he claims that Maxington's and Doc's continuation of the RP implies their consent to the RP under rule 21.3 of the Game Rules.

Doc posts OOC stating that he has no intention of replaying the RP if the sinking of the cruiser is retconned.

Farsun, a military buff, posts OOC that the S-400 could shoot down a drone. Farsun also claims that Hutori is a minor regional power at best - implying based on context that he feels the Hutorian side has power gamed or god-modded.

Maxington posts OOC that he will soon post an alternate story ignoring the whole scenario.

Doc asks OOC if there is a global military register available to know what capabilities and technology certain nations have.

Farsun responds OOC to Doc that there is not, but that the OTAF and IATC were formed to be the IC solution to the issues Doc is raising. He expresses that nobody likes to use it, though, because nobody likes to be told they're not all-powerful.

I (Zanz) make my first OOC postin the thread stating that I'll issue an opinion soon.

RIS posts an OOC response to Farsun where he acknowledges the S-400 could shoot a drone, but that his drone was not designated a target and that drones are much harder to hit than the ICBMs that the S-400 has actually been estimated to be capable of destroying. He also claims he has not RP'd Hutori as a world power, and claims that it is more akin to the power of Canada. He also claims he has attempted to follow OTAF guidelines and would like to know if he should remedy anything in his RP. RIS also responds in that post to colonelvesica admitting that he should have let Maxington respond to his attack. He expresses his frustration that Maxington had entered into his own RP with Doc without arrangement.

Pause for effect...

GOOD LORD, WHY DID I DECIDE TO DO THIS?

Findings, Opinion, and Recommendations

This situation is a first for the RP Team and I am acting without having consulted my fellow RP Team members or Aquinas on this case. As such, please understand that I am expressing an opinion and offering recommendations only. This opinion does not overrule any ruling Aquinas should give, if he should give one.

I decided to undertake this overview and opinion in a very formal format in the hopes that an overall view of the incident would be 1. useful to me in offering recommendations, 2. useful to Aquinas should he wish to intervene more formally, and 3. educational to future RPers so that a similar incident might be avoided in future.

Opinions

This RP actually had some really solid writing from Doc. I regretted, having read it now, not having read it as it went along. Style of prose aside, though, all sides can be seen from an objective viewpoint as having failed (though to varying degrees) to engage in communication or escalation of disagreement.

It is my opinion that the nation of Hutori should not be understood to have the capacity to wield nuclear weaponry in any form, as was expressed by RIS on Jan. 25. Canada, which is the claimed closest analogue to Hutori, only once wielded nuclear weapons developed by the US, and does not maintain nuclear capabilities. Hutori has not engaged in RP sufficient to claim the ability to build or maintain nuclear weaponry.

It is my opinion that the use of satellite tracking and the dedication of two submarines to the pursuit of an unknown electromagnetic source for a long period of time by RIS was a power play, even in the heightened state of alert that the Hutorian military was in in the aftermath of the viral attack. This storyline began on Jan. 25 and was key to the Hutorian piece in all of the subsequent RP. The cost of such an allocation of resources would be astronomical, and it is highly improbable that even if the Hutorians had tasked a satellite with tracking the general area of the Kalistani submarine, it would be capable of picking up the electromagnetism in a level sufficient to arouse suspicion. Furthermore, Doc went out of his way on Jan. 25 to explain that the submarine was being especially careful with its transmissions to avoid further detection.

It is also my opinion that it seems unlikely, once Doc made efforts to scuttle his submarine and contacted his tanker (beginning on Jan. 26) that the Hutorian colonel could just deduce that the sub must be experimental and attempting to scuttle itself and that they thus had grounds to board an unknown, verifiably civilian ship with armed forces (on Jan. 27) This was power-play as well.

Because of these opinions, I feel that it is reasonable that Doc be allowed to retcon all of his RP after Jan. 25 if he wishes, despite Rule 21.3, because Rule 21.3.1 states that Doc should only have to have expected "reasonable consequences" from his consent, and these were not reasonable consequences. THAT SAID, I hope Doc will not retcon his involvement, because his RP is an example of stalwart willingness to roll with the punches in spite of adverse circumstances.

It is my opinion that the presence of Trigunian forces in the area is not unreasonable, and that it is unlikely the circumstance of the Trigunian vessel firing on the Kalistani freighter (on Jan. 30) would have occured if not for the previous OOC frustration of Doc. Prior to that point Maxington had only hailed the Kalistani vessel, and Doc explained on Jan. 31 that at the time he was waiting for RIS to write his part of the story that the two had then arranged to end the encounter. When RIS did not do so in three days (his last post was on Jan. 27), Doc undertook to sink his own ship using the Trigunian ship as his weapon.

It is my opinion that it was very unlikely that the shipping lane would have been mined as Maxington claimed on Jan. 30, but it is also my opinion that this is of little consequence for the overall incident.

It is my opinion that the Hutorian navy cannot reasonably be said to field an aircraft carrier capable of launching F-35 jets. The Canadian navy, the supposed analogue of the Hutorian navy, currently operates "1 destroyer, 12 frigates, 4 patrol submarines, 12 coastal defence vessels and 8 unarmed patrol/training vessels, as well as several auxiliary vessels." Some small bloat might be allowed to account for PT's scale, but an aircraft carrier for a nation which has not RP'd its military significantly in the past is not reasonable.

It is also my opinion that the Sentinal class submarines fielded by Hutori are a questionable proposition at best, given my previous point.

It is my opinion that the manner in which RIS undertook to deal damage to the Trigunian warship without allowing Maxington to respond in any way constitutes godmodding, and would have been grounds for a retcon, but:

It is my opinion that Maxington should have mentioned his objection to the sinking of his ship prior to Jan. 31, and should not have continued the RP at that point (on Jan. 30). It is therefore my opinion that Maxington's continued RP should be understood as consent to the RP under rule 21.3 and if Doc does not choose to retcon events which lead to that point, the destruction of the Trigunian battlecruiser should stand. It is my opinion, however, that the warship should be allowed to respond to the attack and should be allowed to do reasonable damage to its attackers.

It is my opinion that in this case colonelvesica was right to request moderation intervention, and I will ask Aquinas to respond here. I also believe that escalation to moderation should have come much early.

Although I know it'll annoy people who really want this part to be resolved, I have no opinion on whether or not an S-400 missile defense system could shoot down a drone. Who cares? You all are nerds :P. In seriousness, though, I find that argument to be inconsequential to this case, as the drone did relatively minor damage relative to the cruise missiles.

Recommendations

To Doc: Though you are, in my opinion, in your rights to retcon this story, I hope that you will consider not doing so. You made repeated attempts to make a story that was not going your way play out, and your example should be illustrative to future players.

That said, you could have avoided some of your own frustration by reaching out to RIS earlier (On Jan. 25, rather than on the 27th or 28th) and by escalating to moderation or the RP team if you felt the situation getting out of hand. Yes, RIS and Maxington did not coordinate well with you, and that is a shame that I will get to later in my recommendations, but you also could have taken a more active role in trying to coordinate with them OOC.

To RIS: Though my opinions above may seem very negative toward you, I hope that you will know that I issue them in interest of educating you as to where you "went wrong." I see good potential in your role play, it is well written and you are active from what I can tell. You also are not entirely at fault in the lack of OOC communication, and in your OOC posts you did suggest that further RP should be better coordinated. That is commendable.

I do want to stress that you should consider in the future better communicating with your fellow players. Doc seems to have been amenable to working with you, and your storyline with Kubrick went well - I assume because it was planned well OOCly. It was only when you went "off script" that issues started to arise, and Doc had a very negative experience in the RP because of it. My recommendation is that, in general, any action should be OK'd OOC with the affected party before hand. To lean on Rule 21.3 exclusively is a very game-y and unpredictable way to RP, and it often leads to dissatisfaction on all sides.

To Maxington: Your role generally was not antagonistic in this RP - though you should also remember to vet your actions with your co-RPers before injecting yourself into a role play.

General:

1. It seems clear to me that the issues in this RP come down essentially to a lack of OOC agreement that spiraled out of control. My recommendation for all players considering RP in the future is that they establish, before they RP, a clear cut and public OOC outline of the action that will take place in the RP. This public post should be placed on the forum so that all parties can know their general roles, and so that if unexpected players arrive they can be worked into the story realistically.

2. I recommend that the RP Team speed up its plans to offer a frank estimation of the military power of all nations of Terra. Hutori has been power-played in this role play because of the lack of such a guide. We need to establish who has carriers, who has nukes, etc.

3. Rule 21.3 should be reconsidered. Though its intent is positive, its implication is negative. It should be reworded to remove all suggestion that it is OK for a player to operate his role play on the assumption that he can say whatever he wants and if someone responds ICly it's now canon. We have a player base that is trying very hard to respond ICly even to arguably-godmod posts, and they are then punished for their attempt to play ball. That's not great.

4. I strongly recommend, having pulled posts from roughly 5 separate threads in the course of this investigation, that incidents such as this be given a dedicated thread in the World Events section of the forum. It's nearly impossible to police this stuff.

5. I strongly recommend that players escalate situations such as this to the RP Team earlier rather than later. We cannot read every post and we cannot catch every infraction. If you feel something is going wrong, tell us and we'll try to help. Don't wait until the whole house is on fire to call the fire department, you'll lose the house. If there's smoke, let us know.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Re: RP TEAM: Zanz opinion on Hutori/Kalistani/Trigunian incident

Postby colonelvesica » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:09 am

Just to weigh in for a moment on things concerning Hutori; I was the Hutorian Player who in 3876 started revamping it and forcing it on its Canadian path, including updating its cultural protocols and (more importantly to this discussion) its military capabilities. I completely agree Hutori should NOT have nuclear capability; I have no idea when Hutori could have or would have interacted with someone to obtain large nuclear weaponry.

However as for the F-35s, Aircraft Carriers and Astute class Submarines.

The Astute class Submarines and the Aircraft Carriers, which are Queen Elizabeth class as an FYI, are of British design and I got the go ahead from Farsun as head of the OTAF to build them and I did in fact RP their creation, with the passing of a Naval Expansion Bill in the 3908 (http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=447854), for the creation of THREE Aircraft Carriers, and FIVE Astute class Submarines TOTAL. This was done while I kept Farsun in the loop about what I intended on doing, and wanted to make sure it was within my means to do so. He said, as I recall, though he can correct me if he wishes, that Hutori had access to both Canadian created and British designed equipment, though I focused almost exclusively on the Canadian aspect.

If you'll notice however I obtained the Eurofighter Typhoon, also from Farsun, but no where mentioned anything about the the F-35s as is claimed by RIS that he obtained. I had spoken to RIS about getting the F-35 from Zardugal, but I needed to wait for Pale to return there and I left Hutori before he came back to Zardugal in power and could make the deal. If RIS made the deal independently of me, I would at the very least like to see the post or the Bill where Hutori purchased the Fighters. I don't mind being corrected.

Anyways thats just my two cents.
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Doc » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:21 am

One small correction, for the record: "Doc posts a long and detailed OOC account of how the RP has degraded due to lack of communication and agreement. Importantly, it is claimed in point 4 that Hutori had not been communicating with Kalistan whatsoever OOCly during the time of the RPs."

RIS did not communicate with me prior to his launching his strike team to my tanker. After that, RIS and I gamed out the scenario which would have allowed it to end peacefully, but I played my part, tossed it to RIS who only played Hutori's part AFTER Maxington and I had agreed to end it with the destruction of the tanker instead. I included RIS on that IM conversation as well, and Maxington kept RIS as a recipient in his IM responses.

That said- I agree with your recommendation, as well as your additional comments. I do not wish to retcon it. I think we can still make something out of the affair IG, and have already started working with Max along these lines- in this episode, I am not OOC aggrieved in any way. I just want more back channel communication.

Peace
Primary: Institutionalist Party of Kalistan (IPoK), 5146-

Inactive:
Socialist Party of Kalistan (SPoK), 2591-
Hizb Al'Sultan حزب السلطان 4543-4551
Parti des Frères Lourenne, 4109-4132
Gaduri Brethrenist Movement (MHdG), 4481-4485
Doc

Postby Farsun » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:25 am

Might I add that RIS' comment about Hutori being akin to Canada in military power in entirely wrong. I figured this was a better forum for that. No, it isn't "akin" to Canada, its akin to whatever its made out to be through RP, budgets and more RP. You use CANADIAN EQUIPMENT and perhaps CANADIAN STYLE ORGANIZATION AND TACTICS but it does not imply that YOU ARE AKIN TO CANADA IN MILITARY POWER. AT. ALL.

Just because a country is a Primary Exporter of a certain military equipment does not mean that you automatically achieve their military status. Dorvik is based off of Prussia, how do I even gauge that in the modern era? I don't. I take my time and build my strength; thats just how it works here.

Hutori, at best, is a minor regional power with limited ability to project itself around Makon. Right, you've got minor aircraft carriers, but it does not mean you can support them abroad for extended periods of time. No, Hutori shouldn't have nuclear weapons, at all.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby RIS » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:59 am

If you compare Hutori to Canada Hutori actually has much greater military might and this wasn't RPed by myself but by Vesica. The Hutorian fleet being deployed to Badara also was not RPed by myself but again by vesica I merely mentioned it being on return. And if you observe Hutori's IC law we actual have RPed the recreation of Hutorian nuclear arms which while limited do exist IC as an agreement between the parties of Hutori. And as a long time player in Hutori I am fully aware of the fluctuating support that the Hutorian military has had. As far as not responding in a timely manner I was unable to do so due to lack of internet access however, I fully intended to respond as soon as I could which I did and was thrown into something unexpected.

Edit: And I'm not relying on rule 21.3 as I have already stated that I'd be willing to take part in a joint ret-con. And while I may have over allocated military resources (Which could be considered god modding) I only used units that Hutori has and I used them in a way that was consistent with their capabilities. Tracking objects via em signature is not unprecedented and the Astute Class has one of the best sonar systems to date. In fact it is claimed to be one of the best on the seas today.I may have also failed to make initial OOC contact which I admit was a failing on my part. However, I did stay true to my vessel's capabilities and to what is scientifically plausible.
Former Global RP Team Economist

Active Parties:
Hutori- Federalist Party

Inactive Parties:
Klavia- Palatinus Evimería Factio
RIS

Postby Aquinas » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:56 pm

Having been busy much of yesterday, I "missed most of the action", as it were. I have been reading up and trying to make sense of what has gone. What follows is at least my initial response.

Thank you Zanz for your summary of the events and your commentary on it, for which I'm very grateful. That is a post well worth studying.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: in all honesty, military role-plays involving lots of players spread across multiple nations are not easy to pull off. It is not uncommon for them to break down. Good communication is absolutely vital, and misunderstandings can end up causing a lot of problems.

I am not inclined to believe there would be any benefit in Moderators trying to assign blame for the breakdown in the role-play. If the role-play can be got back on track (and I hope it can) then that will be through people pulling together and working together.

If lessons can be learned from this, then I hope they will.

Rules 21.3 and 21.3.1 have come under scrutiny. To quote them:

21.3 Players who consent to a particular role-play by acknowledging it in their own role-play cannot then disown it or withdraw their consent from it. For example, if player A role-plays the assassination of player B's character, and player B then acknowledges the assassination in a news post, but then backtracks and insists the assassination did not happen, then he will be required under the rules to accept the validity of the assassination role-play.

21.3.1 Players also consent to the reasonable and predictable consequences of the role-play they consent to. For example, players who role-play their characters as committing criminal offences should expect those characters to experience the predictable judicial consequences of that.

I welcome discussion on whether/how this can be revised/improved.

We all seem to be agreed that the management of threads could be better organised. Remember Moderators can lock, split and merge threads. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

The rules do provide procedures to help players prevent role-plays from breaking down. To quote section 23:

23. Role-play events.

The default rule is that role-play events can only be done with the consent of all of the players legitimately involved, and that if one of the players withdraws consent for the role-play, then the role-play becomes void. However, there are procedures available to overcome the risk of a role-play being brought down like this. These procedures cannot compel players to actively participate in a role-play, but they do oblige them not to stand in the way of them and to recognise their legitimacy under the rules. The procedures are:

23.1 Role-play events between nations, such as wars, will be officially recognised if before they are commenced, in all of the concerned nations a RP event bill outlining the event is approved by a 2/3rds majority of all players with seats (not just those with seats who vote) and over 50% of the seats in the legislature. This bill must specify the necessary and possible consequences of the role-play event, as well as a clause that deals with the eventuality of one or more players becoming absent for more than a specified time, and how such an absence is to be interpreted in in-game terms.

23.2 Role-play events within a nation, such as a financial crash or a civil war, will be officially recognised if before they are commenced, a RP event bill outlining the event is approved by a 2/3rds majority of all players with seats (not just those with seats who vote) and over 50% of the seats in the legislature. This bill must specify the necessary and possible consequences of the role-play event, as well as a clause that deals with the eventuality of one or more players becoming absent for more than a specified time, and how such an absence is to be understood in in-game terms.

23.3 A RP event bill will be considered void if it contravenes the rules or would not be reasonably easy for an inexperienced player to understand.

Maybe we can think about using the events procedure more, and also think about whether there are ways to improve the rules in this area.

Farsun, I have spoken to you on previous occasions about how you have a responsibility to take care with your choice of language and how you communicate with players, particularly when it comes to discourtesy and adopting an inappropriately authoritative manner towards players. Regretfully it appears you need to be reminded of this again, and to underline this reminder, you have been issued with a warning.

I appreciate you are passionate about military role-play, but please understand that aspects of the manner in which you are engaging with our players in these matters are not acceptable. Do not think you can be a bully and get away with it.

If you wish to respond to your warning, you may do so by private message to me, but not on the public forum.
Aquinas

Postby Farsun » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks mom!
Farsun

Postby SelucianCrusader » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:33 pm

SelucianCrusader

Postby Farsun » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:48 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:Image

Dude, stop taking my Teddy bear!
Farsun

Postby IdioC » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Zanz wrote:Pause for effect...

GOOD LORD, WHY DID I DECIDE TO DO THIS?

*sips beer* Amen, my man.
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Return to General