Updating Egelions Cultural Protocols

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Updating Egelions Cultural Protocols

Postby NewDranland » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:26 am

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. I have been bedded in Egelion for a few years now (in game) and have wanted to update the cultural protocols for the nation, the current CPs are here. This isn't a case of me wanting to tramp all over someone's extensive attempt at creating a CP,this is me wanting to build on and improve a CP.

Anyway the old (established 400 years ago in game) CP is as follows;

The cultures within Egelion are as follows:

Egelian (Spanish) - 80%
Caillean (Catalonian) - 14%
Ghadrash (Hungarian) - 5%
Others - 1%

Cailleans live mostly in the province of Caille, and Ghadrash live mostly in the province of Ghadrash. Egelians are found all over Egelion, though.

Party names should be in Spanish, with a few exceptions being Hungarian or Catalonian.
Religions in Egelion:

Selucian Patriarchial Church (Catholic) 92%
Bishopal (Anglican) 1%
Solduni (Traditional Faith) 5%
Other 1%

See Here: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=390661

Egelion has a storied history of religious extremism, the most recent chapter being when it began a crusade to end the Solduni faith. As a result, the vast majority of Egelians are now Hosians, if a bit reluctant. The style of Hosianism they practice differs somewhat from what the Church in Selucia preaches; they have incorporated many Solduni rituals into their sacraments.

I have created a new proposed CP, having extensively researched the background of our neighbouring countries and scanning through the limited history and culture of previous Egelion players RP. My research can be found here.

To summarise;

I propose several key changes from the original Cultural Protocols. Firstly, the ethnic Ghadrash (Hungarians) should become the ethnic Zyldavs from neighbouring Kizenia. explained by historic border changes or migrations. Secondly the Solduni, with no background other than the original Cultural Protocols should be exchanged for a collection of Dovani Traditional Native religions. Clearly immigration, particularly from Dovani should be recognised in a new Cultural Protocol, as should some of the other ethnicities and religions from neighbouring countries.

==Ethnicity==

I propose that the ethnicity is as follows (all percentages approximate, may add up to more than 100%);

- 77% - Egelions (White Spanish) of which;
-- 15% - Caillean (Catalonian) - (although essentially the same as Egelions, the Caillean speak their own dialect and have a very strong regional identity)
- 8% - Kizenian (Whites from other parts of Kizenia), of which;
-- 4% - Kizenians (Romanians)
-- 3% - Zyldavs (Hungarians)
-- 1% - Trigunians/Dolgarians (Russians/Latvians)
- 15% - Immigrant or immigrant descended, of which;
-- 10% - Dovani (from the continent to our east), of which;
--- 4% - Kyo
--- 3% - Dranianos
--- 2% - Kazukis, AKA Sekowans or Mikuni-Hulstrians (Japanese)
--- 1% - Other
-- 2% - Artanians (Whites, typically merge with the Egelion population by the second or third generation)
-- 2% - Seleyans (Ethnically mixed, include Indians, French etc)
-- 1% - Majatrans (Mixed Arabs/Jews/Slavs)

The population of Egelion was historically very homogenous, being largely white, and mostly Egelion (Spanish) speaking, with minorities from neighbouring countries. However immigration has significantly altered the population of the country, with almost 10% of the population coming from Dovani (East Asian), with smaller immigrant populations from other continents including Artania, Seleya and Majatra. The Caillians are an enigma. Although basically the same as the bulk of the Egelion ethnic community, they speak a dialect which is regarded as a different language (although not incomprehensible to Egelion speakers and vice versa) and regard themselves as different. All five of the Egelion regions have a strong regional identity, but the other four regions do not regard themselves as different from Egelion.

==Religion==

Retaining Egelions Patriarchal character, with the Solduni replaced by Dovani traditional religions. Breakdown as follows;

- 85% - Hosian - (Christian), of which;
-- 75% - Patriarchal -
--- 70% - Aurorian Patriarchal Church
--- 5% - Terran Patriarchal Church
-- 7% - Luthoran - (Various Protestant)
-- 3% - Other Hosian -
- 4% - Dovani Traditional Religions -
- 1% - Yeudish -
- 1% - Ahmadi -
- 1% - Other -
- 8% - None/Athiest/Not answered

The Patriarchal Church dominates, however it is worth remembering it is slightly splintered with a number of fundamentalist Terran Patriachal followers around. Luthorans are largely ethnic Zyldavs or Artanians. Immigration has brought religions from Dovani, Seleya and Majatra and finally there is a small but growing number of non-religious citizens.

==Language==

This section focuses purely on an individuals primary language, or the language spoken at home.

- 68% - Egelion (Spanish)
- 15% - Caillean (Catalonian)
- 5% - Dovani (East Asian, various)
- 4% - Kizenian (Romanian)
- 3% - Zyldav (Hungarian)
- 5% - Other (Various)

However, in terms of competence in various languages there are some different statistics;

- 98% - Egelion. The language of education, media, business and culture, most speak Egelion, except for the most recent migrants.
- 35% - Luthorian. Despite only a few native speakers residing in Egelion it is a common secondary language in Terra.
- 20% - Caillean. Most residents of the province can speak the dialect.
- 15% - Dovani. Various languages.
- 12% - Kizenian. Commonly spoken by Kizenians and those raised in border areas.

As there are no other active nations I would appreciate thoughts and comments from other players. I know I haven't added any history and that Egelion is quite a quiet nation, but I intend to work on that.

Many thanks for your help.
The Junta Militar of Egelion. Seized power in March 3983 in order to restore law, order and respect to Egelion. Democracy will be restored once the threat of anarchy passes.
NewDranland

Re: Updating Egelions Cultural Protocols

Postby Polites » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Looks really good!

Though I think by "- 8% - Kizenian (Whites from other parts of Kizenia)" you meant Kerisian (Kizenia is a nation on Keris, Keris is the continent). Also, since all other Kerisian cultures are Eastern European (Russians, Ukranians, Romanians, Hungarians, etc.), you could add a small line mentioning that Egelion has a vaguely CEE character in addition to its Iberian culture, but that's really up to you, it's not in any way mandatory. The Japanese of Particracy come under many names, briefly Kunihito (standard Japanese, including all other Japanese groups), Sekowan (Ryukyuan/Okinawan), and Kuzaki (Kizenia's East Asian ethnicity, a sort of Eastern European Japanese group). The ones you want to add seem to be the Kunihito.

You should also check the Game Rules, especially 16.4 ("These percentage breakdowns must add up to exactly 100, meaning that no overlaps are allowed."), since you're suggesting some overlaps and a total percentage higher than 100, which is not allowed.
Polites

Postby Aquinas » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 pm

So far as I can see, those figures add up to 100% (unless I'm missing something!). Do read through section 16 of the Game Rules, though. In particular, note these:

16.1 In order to become official, Cultural Protocol updates must first be passed in a bill supported by a 2/3rds majority of all players with seats (not just those with seats who vote) and over 50% of the seats in the legislature. Also, at least one of the players sponsoring the update must have been currently continuously active in the nation (ie. no inactivations) for at least 1 month.

16.6 Cultural Protocols bills must provide descriptions of the cultures, languages and religions which would be easy for an unfamiliar player to understand (eg. "Dundorfian = German"). Where appropriate, they should also provide guidance to players on where to find help with translations and character names. This might include, for example, links to Google Translate, Behind the Name's Random Name Generator and Fantasy Name Generators.
Aquinas

Postby Autokrator15 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:37 pm

- 8% - Kizenian

Kerisians* and the New Endralonians are not technicly part of the Kerisian ethnicity as they are decendends of the Old Endralonians from Artania

Albeit far from incorrect we personaly use New Endralonians.
Autokrator15

Postby NewDranland » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:45 am

All, many thanks for your contributions.

Polites wrote:Looks really good!

Though I think by "- 8% - Kizenian (Whites from other parts of Kizenia)" you meant Kerisian (Kizenia is a nation on Keris, Keris is the continent). Also, since all other Kerisian cultures are Eastern European (Russians, Ukranians, Romanians, Hungarians, etc.), you could add a small line mentioning that Egelion has a vaguely CEE character in addition to its Iberian culture, but that's really up to you, it's not in any way mandatory. The Japanese of Particracy come under many names, briefly Kunihito (standard Japanese, including all other Japanese groups), Sekowan (Ryukyuan/Okinawan), and Kuzaki (Kizenia's East Asian ethnicity, a sort of Eastern European Japanese group). The ones you want to add seem to be the Kunihito.

You should also check the Game Rules, especially 16.4 ("These percentage breakdowns must add up to exactly 100, meaning that no overlaps are allowed."), since you're suggesting some overlaps and a total percentage higher than 100, which is not allowed.

Noted, Kizenian altered to Kerisian. Line referencing eastern European character added. Confirmation that figures are approximate but do add up to 100%.

Aquinas wrote:So far as I can see, those figures add up to 100% (unless I'm missing something!). Do read through section 16 of the Game Rules, though. In particular, note these:

16.1 In order to become official, Cultural Protocol updates must first be passed in a bill supported by a 2/3rds majority of all players with seats (not just those with seats who vote) and over 50% of the seats in the legislature. Also, at least one of the players sponsoring the update must have been currently continuously active in the nation (ie. no inactivations) for at least 1 month.

16.6 Cultural Protocols bills must provide descriptions of the cultures, languages and religions which would be easy for an unfamiliar player to understand (eg. "Dundorfian = German"). Where appropriate, they should also provide guidance to players on where to find help with translations and character names. This might include, for example, links to Google Translate, Behind the Name's Random Name Generator and Fantasy Name Generators.

Noted, I shall hold of putting to vote for another fortnight. I have added links to name generators and translations.

Autokrator15 wrote:
- 8% - Kizenian

Kerisians* and the New Endralonians are not technicly part of the Kerisian ethnicity as they are decendends of the Old Endralonians from Artania

Albeit far from incorrect we personaly use New Endralonians.

Noted, I have added that "Kerisian" means from other ethnicities in Keris, we see the New Endralonians as a Kerisian group in our census returns. I have also noted that Zyldavs are aka New Endralonians.

Thankyou to all three of you for your comments.
The Junta Militar of Egelion. Seized power in March 3983 in order to restore law, order and respect to Egelion. Democracy will be restored once the threat of anarchy passes.
NewDranland

Postby Autokrator15 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:52 pm

Your welcome, I wish to state my complements. Your CP look amazing
Autokrator15

Return to General