Cultural Protocol Rules concerning cultures and languages

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Cultural Protocol Rules concerning cultures and languages

Postby Autokrator15 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:29 pm

The Endralonian cultural protocols speak of their language being called Endralese or something. The change made to Endralon from English / Slavic Dutch to Hungarian I can understand but that the admin (great respect for you admin but I do have some criticism) allowed for this royal screw up is beyond me.

Nations such as Deltaria and Deltaria Nova, Old Endralon and New Endralon should NOT be allowed to drasticly change without the consent of the other party. New Endralon had no say in the changes and had to follow the Endralonian changes whilest this had an impact on our nation.

Now look at this the language of the Endralonians is Syldavian, ours which is not purely the same for Rp reasons is called Zyldavian. Now they changed it to Endralese. What am I to do? Remove my language and call it New Endralese? The effects of a culture change in one nation has effects in their previously owned colonies.

We must have rules for not only cultures but also the ingame name of the language. And I hope the Endralon player will change it back to Syldavian.
Autokrator15

Re: Cultural Protocol Rules concerning cultures and languages

Postby Aquinas » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:00 pm

I have moved this thread from the Moderation to the General Discussion sub-forum because, from a Moderation point-of-view, there does not seem to be anything I can immediately do for you, although some of your points are arguably worthy of further discussion.

Endralon did not have Cultural Protocols prior it its current ones, so in terms of the rules, no actual change in the Cultural Protocols took place. I was not a Moderator back then, although given the circumstances at the time, it is probably doubtful any Moderator would have done any different. I understand you registered your objections at the time and it was pointed out that up until that time Endralon had been classified as Culturally Void.

In general terms, the classification of in-game cultures, religions and languages has been left to players to organise for themselves through the Cultural Protocol system. I would, however, be prepared to listen to any ideas you and others might have for regulating/organising this in a different way.

Some things have already changed in terms of the rules, by the way. For example, there is now a waiting period before Cultural Protocols can be accepted, in order to ensure there is an opportunity for public discussion/feedback:

16.2.1 Moderation will not approve a Cultural Protocol request within the first 48 hours of it being requested. This is in order to give other players a chance to query the proposed changes, if they wish to do so. Moderation may be approached for advice on a proposed change, but any advice proffered should always be understood under the provisio that no final decision will be made until at least 48 hours after the request has been formally submitted for approval.

Weight can also be attached to the preferences of players outside the nation but with a connection it:

16.5.1 Whilst significant changes should always be justified by role-play, where certain factors are present, Moderation reserves the discretion to adopt a more restrictive or a more relaxed approach to proposed changes. These factors include:

[...]

- Where players not present in the nation but with a strong connection to it are deemed to have presented a strong case. In particular, the nation's recent players, as well as players in the surrounding nations, may be deemed to have a legitimate interest.
Aquinas

Re: Cultural Protocol Rules concerning cultures and languages

Postby Autokrator15 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:33 pm

I thank you for your response Aquinas. Can we make a registry like the national languages and cultures but than with its Ingame name.

For example:
*New Endralon / Kizenia: Kizenian (Romanian), Zyldavian (Hungarian) Kuzaki (Japanese)

We should do this aswel with religion. This guide will make it easier for people, especialy new ones to understand and name their parties and ammend or update cultural protocols. It took some time for me to find all religion names and I still dont know what all branches of Hosianism are because the wiki is fague.

Back on the topic. I hope that the rule you mentioned will be used and that the moderation will, if no player is present, look to the existing cultural protocols of other nations of interest. I might not always be here and we cannot allow to let inconsistancies be created between these nations. New Endralon and Endralon are now a prime example of a major inconsistancy. But it could also easely happen to Deltaria and Deltaria Nova for example. Or the Goa-Showan nations.

So in conclusion I would love it if we got a page on the wiki or a post on the forum with all religions and their IG names. All nations with their cultures (we have that I know) and one with its primary languages and where the language is possibly based upon. Aswel as for the moderation and all players to try and object when a inconsistency arises through a change which effects nations with are historicly affected by this nation / culture even if that nation is empty and not able to protect itself.
Autokrator15

Return to General