RP Planning Thread: "World Congress"/UN-style organisation

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: RP Planning Thread: "World Congress"/UN-style organisation

Postby Polites » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:12 pm

I'm thinking the WC could work more like the Majatran Union used to - a forum for the various nations to collectively debate stuff, and also pass officially binding resolutions, but whose power depends entirely on the will of the various nations to enforce them. To give a RL comparison, it would probably be more like the League of Nations than the UN - founded on idealistic peace-preserving principles, but unlikely to get anything done unless all the big players agree. For that, I think the model proposed by Zanz would work best - resolutions might get passed by the General Assembly or whatever, but they won't be realistically enforced unless a significant number of nations ratify them via treaty. I also think we should have a Security Council composed of all the Great Powers as defined by the RP team's military rankings, with each being given the power of veto.

As for the ITB, I could see it become of the WC's institutions, but with its decisions also dependent on the will of major actors to enforce them. You could have, for instance, some highly developed nations pressure the lower ones to change legislation in line with ITB recommendations, while the economically weaker nations would have the power to outright reject them (and maybe be supported by other highly developed nations in that decision).

I also think that when the WC is founded it should automatically include all nations, and then it could decide whether it would accept or reject secessions or mergers or governments in exile. Having it based on a particular treaty would be unworkable, since there's no guarantee everyone will ratify it and then remain in it.
Polites

Postby Zanz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:48 pm

You guys, why not the Jelbek Bank of the World? :'(

Anyway, I agree with pretty much all Polites said. I think WC membership should be automatic for all nations (the recognition of which we can make mandatory for RP Accord nations and recommended for non-RP Accord folks). An in game membership treaty will mean we maybe get 1/3 or 1/2 membership at best. Whether people choose to RP or not, we can probably assume their membership and play as though they're in. This way we can have the ex-colonial nations be members, too.

Aquinas - is that model something you feel comfortable with? We won't force anyone to RP with us - but our own RP will assume their membership in the body. Is that OK?

Also, since the WC is to come, ICly, from the fires of this war, I think we should remove Zardugal and Dorvik from the Security Council (assuming the Great Powers argument) and instead including Hutori and Kalistan? Though I guess Kalistan's inclusion will be determined by whether we make it a real military type body or not. Perhaps calling it the "Leadership Council" or "Council of Seven" or something (to remove the military implication) and simply giving them veto power might be good, Doc?
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Aquinas » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:19 am

Zanz wrote:Anyway, I agree with pretty much all Polites said. I think WC membership should be automatic for all nations (the recognition of which we can make mandatory for RP Accord nations and recommended for non-RP Accord folks). An in game membership treaty will mean we maybe get 1/3 or 1/2 membership at best. Whether people choose to RP or not, we can probably assume their membership and play as though they're in. This way we can have the ex-colonial nations be members, too.

Aquinas - is that model something you feel comfortable with? We won't force anyone to RP with us - but our own RP will assume their membership in the body. Is that OK?

I think that would be broadly in line with the spirit of section 19, which says:

Global Role-Players may not generally compel players or nations to role-play, to acknowledge a role-play or to role-play in a particular way, but they do enjoy a special licence to initiate role-play across the game world.

But naturally, if a situation arises where the players in a nation express a clear objection to their nation being in the WC, then respond accordingly to that.
Aquinas

Postby colonelvesica » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:56 pm

Aquinas wrote:But naturally, if a situation arises where the players in a nation express a clear objection to their nation being in the WC, then respond accordingly to that.

Aye I think an interesting RP dynamic would be a "rogue" nation that leaves the World Congress basically to spit in its eye.

I was planning on leaving Hutori at some point in the future to play around in another nation, I'd be happy to play that Rogue Nation, or we can use one of the former colonies as a rogue nation type thing, commits genocide or something then gives the entire world the middle finger by walking out.
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Oakwood » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:37 am

I oppose the creation of a Security Council with veto power. There are legitimate reasons for such a council to exist IRL (such as the ability to legitimately attempt to enforce treaties and pass U.N resolutions with teeth). IG it would make little sense as we have already stated this council would have not wish to do that, and could never do that.
Oakwood

Postby Maxington » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:35 pm

Hello? Anyone there *Bangs on door*?

When is the world Congress going to be formed? It's going to be really useful now since we have the Cold War starting. :lol:
"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:48 pm

We need to bang out the peace treaty first. Are we all in agreement to pre-war status quo, given that the thing was a draw?
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby colonelvesica » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:47 pm

That's fine by me
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Maxington » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Same here, so hyped. :mrgreen:
"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:06 pm

I think only thing we will need is to see if Jelbania is forced to pay anything since they were actually defeated by Vanuku.
Liu Che/Zhuli

PreviousNext

Return to General