IMPORTANT!: End of Cultural Era consultation

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: IMPORTANT!: End of Cultural Era consultation

Postby Aquinas » Tue May 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Farsun wrote:I'm sure Polites and other who've invested time into the backstories of certain nations would have opinions as well. For instance, if Deltaria was voted as Culturally Open tomorrow, from your comments and Reddy's, it would appear that someone could come in and re-write their entire history with an entirely brand new culture tomorrow and boom, that unravels so many other nations, including the history of an entire continent (Artania). That's just the example I can give, granted, yes, someone can come in a change a nations history as has been done but overtime the nations that never had a backstory have come to have them, for instance, the spread of the Dundorfian language and how aspects of Artania were never explained and the history that is being written, explains them. It explains how countries got their start and then merges in their own national histories.

To take away Luthori, Deltaria, Zardugal and others that have major pre-game spanning Empires leaves massive plot holes that we can hardly explain now. I thought that the RP Team would have a hand in that, meaning making the story behind PT work because every so often you want to do a historical name or something and theres nothing...theres no history. What I envision is that the RP Team goes about and looks at certain national backstories and how the intertwin and makes them protected, meaning that they cannot be changed. The cultures can change, but not the countries backstory.

How do you propose Moderation and/or the RP Team should go about enforcing these backstories?

I can confirm that having been a Moderator for nearly a year, I have never warned or inactivated a player because I disagreed with them in a dispute about their nation's ancient history. So far as I am aware, no other Moderator has ever done this either.

Of course, it could be very interesting if Reddy & I went around doing this sort of thing, but I'm not sure it would be in the best interests of the general harmony of the game :).

When it comes to concerns about particularly sensitive cultures in the game, I can offer you a few reassurances:

a) As you can see from this thread, we have established a convention on having a consultation before setting nations to Culturally Open.

b) Under section 16.5.1, decisions about whether to accept Cultural Protocol update requests can be influenced by situations...

Where players not present in the nation but with a strong connection to it are deemed to have presented a strong case. In particular, the nation's recent players, as well as players in the surrounding nations, may be deemed to have a legitimate interest.

c) When it comes to Cultural Protocols being established in Culturally Open nations, there is this protection:

17.1.2 Players are not necessarily required to provide a plausible backstory for how the nation's cultural background developed. However, the provision of a plausible backstory may be a factor in whether Moderation approves the Cultural Protocol if players in surrounding nations question its appropriateness for their region of the game map.
Aquinas

Postby Farsun » Tue May 03, 2016 4:23 pm

The proposal is really more or less watching to see if these established backstories alter radically that creates more or less discord among the RP elements of the game, it's pretty cut and dry when it comes to enforcement. No is saying someone can't change names here or there but if someone went back and uprooted the entire history of Selucia it would cause chaos in the backstory for many nations, similar to Hulstria, Darnussia and the others. Please note that not all backstory comes from pre-game history, but in the case of Darnussia, most of it comes from in-game histories.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby CCP » Tue May 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Aquinas wrote:c) When it comes to Cultural Protocols being established in Culturally Open nations, there is this protection:

17.1.2 Players are not necessarily required to provide a plausible backstory for how the nation's cultural background developed. However, the provision of a plausible backstory may be a factor in whether Moderation approves the Cultural Protocol if players in surrounding nations question its appropriateness for their region of the game map.

Enforce it by making 17.1.2 mandatory, and require that backstories specifically address the transition from the previous society to the new one. The Backstory should be a minimum of one sentence.
Global Roleplay Committee Chair(until March 2019)
Ity ꜣḥwt xꜣdt, Hawu Mumenhes
Movement for Radical Libertarianism, Talmoria
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
Sizwe Esintsundu Amandla Inhlangano, Ibutho
Christian Communalist Party, Rildanor
CCP

Postby Aquinas » Tue May 03, 2016 10:25 pm

Time for another announcement...

Hobrazia, Ibutho, Jakania, Lourenne, Tukarali, Valruzia and Vorona have been set to Culturally Open. It has become reasonably clear there is not sufficient support for the Cultural Protocols of those nations to justify keeping them in the process.

This will very understandably come as a cause of sadness to some players. Do not despair, however. Culturally Open nations can adopt a Cultural Protocol under the terms set out in section 17 of the Game Rules.

On a personal note, as some of you know, I had some involvement with Ibutho, which was Particracy's first African-themed nation. I would like to express my sincere appreciation to all those who, at different times, worked on Ibutho, kept it going and made it what it was. Ibutho's Cultural Protocol may be gone, but I am hopeful the spirit of Ibutho will live on in the sense that we have set a precedent for role-playing African cultures in the game.

Our shortlist has now whittled down to 6 nations, of which 3 will become Culturally Open and 3 will be allowed to continue as culturally protected nations. These remaining candidates are:

Badara
Darnussia
Hulstria
Kalopia
Talmoria
Telamon

If you have not already done so, please indicate your preferences.

Some further points:

* As stated previously, Telamon's Cultural Protocol is outdated and is not compliant with the Game Rules. If Telamon was to continue as a Culturally Protected nation, its players would need to fix the Cultural Protocol within a 1 month deadline, or else Moderation would impose its own update.

* The Cultural Protocols of Hulstria and Kalopia have been identified as somewhat lacking in terms of accessibility to new players. If these were to continue as Culturally Protected nations, their players would need to fix the Cultural Protocols within a 1 month deadline, or else Moderation would impose its own update.

* We repeat our invitation for players to indicate, so far as they reasonably can, what they're prepared to commit in terms of supporting the nations whose Cultural Protocols they want to be retained.
Aquinas

Postby Maxington » Wed May 04, 2016 12:05 am

Do you guys need a Caribbean themed nation. Because I am open to doing that.
"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Wed May 04, 2016 12:37 am

Gaduridos is supposed to be that.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Steven » Wed May 04, 2016 4:10 am

There have been many attempts to help restore the cultural protocols to Darnussia and every single time that happened a mod came in to nitpick something out of the protocols that wasn't correct. So now it's going to be culturally open? Look at the wiki and then tell me that Darnussia should become culturally open. Hours and hours of work put into it over a span of many years. I realise it's now a semi-dead nation with barely any activity, but half of this game is now a graveyard anyway.

What can be done to get this off the shortlist.
Steven

Postby SelucianCrusader » Wed May 04, 2016 9:57 am

Looking at the wiki as well as the protocols, I realize that perhaps Narikaton's protocols also needs a through revision to make its history more accessible to, not necessarily only newer players, but to us older ones who are unfamiliar with the subject as well. :P

Maybe making the country open actually could work. I don't know. Both Gishoto and Narikaton kind of needs some help from the expertise, help from both moderators and older players. If I may change my vote, I support Telamon, Kalopia and possibly Badara keeping their status as culturally protected. I could potentially go to Telamon myself if necessary and work out a protocols revision with the players there. Me being Swedish and all that.
SelucianCrusader

Postby legorlee » Wed May 04, 2016 4:06 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:Looking at the wiki as well as the protocols, I realize that perhaps Narikaton's protocols also needs a through revision to make its history more accessible to, not necessarily only newer players, but to us older ones who are unfamiliar with the subject as well. :P

Maybe making the country open actually could work. I don't know. Both Gishoto and Narikaton kind of needs some help from the expertise, help from both moderators and older players. If I may change my vote, I support Telamon, Kalopia and possibly Badara keeping their status as culturally protected. I could potentially go to Telamon myself if necessary and work out a protocols revision with the players there. Me being Swedish and all that.

I would be grateful to have help with a revision of the culutural protocol of Telamon, as I never have done anything like it before. So far the background is based on the old background, but with edits to make it fit the current lore of Terra. http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=471115
legorlee

Postby Aquinas » Wed May 04, 2016 10:36 pm

After much thought and reflecting carefully on the feedback from the consultation, we have decided to save the Cultural Protocols of Badara, Darnussia and Hulstria. Kalopia, Telamon and Talmoria have been set to Culturally Open.

Hulstria has a deadline to produce a more accessible Cultural Protocol within 1 month, or else Moderation will impose its own revision.

Of course, the Culturally Open nations will be able to adopt Cultural Protocols under the terms set out in section 17 of the Game Rules.

Reddy & I would like to thank everybody who has taken part in the consultation, and also to say that although we firmly believe this process has been in the best long-term interests of the game, we do very much understand that for some players, some of the decisions will have been hard to bear.

We are now in Particracy's second Cultural Era, which will end on September 1st 2016. The process will work much as before. If you wish to ensure a Cultural Protocol continues beyond September 1st, you need to get it affirmed before that date.
Aquinas

PreviousNext

Return to General