Nation Based on the American South

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Nation Based on the American South

Postby hts » Tue May 03, 2016 2:35 am

I've been thinking about potential cultures to create in one of the soon-to-be culturally open nations. Now I know that there is already to many Anglophone nations in particracy, but I think that this concept is unique. I am looking for potential partners to build this with, so please give it a read.

Culture (Just ideas I am open for recommendations)
Majority White(based on white american southerners)
Large Black minority based on African Americans
Hosian, Primarily evangelical protestant(not sure what the PT equivalent of that would be)
Speak with a Drawl/Twang
Rural/Agrarian

Ibutho seems to be the current choice location.

Although Hutori is Americanish, it seems to be more based off of canada. The rest of the Anglophone nations are GB clones. Plus we lack an African-American equivalent (as far as I know) and that is a very interesting culture. So I think that adding this culture would be a positive for the game.

If anyone is interested or has any comments please let me know.
Last edited by hts on Wed May 04, 2016 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”
hts

Re: Nation Based on the American South

Postby Farsun » Tue May 03, 2016 2:39 am

Ibutho, if it goes culturally open, might be a good spot. In the unofficial "Lore" of Artania, Ibutho formerly known as Ikradon/Sudland by the Dundorfians was settled by slaves freed from the Holy Luthori Empire causing the shift from Dutch to the current state it is. It would be interesting to see it go towards what you're talking about and could entirely fit within the "Lore" of the content.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby hts » Tue May 03, 2016 2:48 am

That would be pretty cool, as I was planning on having a slave based origin of the black minority. Would scrapping Ibutho's history as an african dominated nation affect any storylines though?
“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”
hts

Postby Farsun » Tue May 03, 2016 2:49 am

Outside of the Artanian continental history, only Ibutho's own history which I really haven't read into much.
Farsun

Postby CCP » Tue May 03, 2016 5:52 am

The Black Alorians of Rutania are African American (http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=370288).

Ending Ibutho would affect recent histories in Cobura and Talmoria, the two countries Ibutho has had closest relations with. The main players in Cobura and Talmoria worked closely with Ibutho at various times, and if Ibutho is ended (which I support), I think there's a possibility they might be open to Ibutho minorities in one or both of their countries to preserve the Ibutho stories.

Would the country be a post-war/reconstruction south? Or would it be a contemporary/new south? I think the latter would be fairly indistinguishable from the larger US. I think the former would have a pretty thin European majority (approaching parity) with at least two regions being majority-African American to represent post-war South Carolina, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

I think post-war/reconstruction would make for better stories, but it's an interesting idea either way.
Global Roleplay Committee Chair(until March 2019)
Ity ꜣḥwt xꜣdt, Hawu Mumenhes
Movement for Radical Libertarianism, Talmoria
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
Sizwe Esintsundu Amandla Inhlangano, Ibutho
Christian Communalist Party, Rildanor
CCP

Postby Reddy » Tue May 03, 2016 6:56 am

Very interesting and fresh, hts. This is the kind of creativity we hoped that providing a large number of new opportunities to create new cultures would encourage.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby hts » Tue May 03, 2016 11:39 am

CCP wrote:The Black Alorians of Rutania are African American (http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=370288).

It seems to be a relatively undeveloped and non-influential minority at the moment, so I still dont feel that it would be redundant to have a new group. But I'll look into them more, maybe I could take some ideas from them.

CCP wrote:Ending Ibutho would affect recent histories in Cobura and Talmoria, the two countries Ibutho has had closest relations with. The main players in Cobura and Talmoria worked closely with Ibutho at various times, and if Ibutho is ended (which I support), I think there's a possibility they might be open to Ibutho minorities in one or both of their countries to preserve the Ibutho stories.

This was the first thing that came to my head, as I know that Akenhaten has done a lot of RP connections between all of the African countries. I am sure I could work something out with him.

CCP wrote:Would the country be a post-war/reconstruction south? Or would it be a contemporary/new south? I think the latter would be fairly indistinguishable from the larger US. I think the former would have a pretty thin European majority (approaching parity) with at least two regions being majority-African American to represent post-war South Carolina, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

I like the idea of a reconstruction south. I have actually read up quite a bit on it. Would that mean that segregation still exists? Perhaps we could include a PT version of the KKK.

CCP wrote:I think post-war/reconstruction would make for better stories, but it's an interesting idea either way.

I agree that it would make the country more unique if we did the postwar south.

Reddy wrote:Very interesting and fresh, hts. This is the kind of creativity we hoped that providing a large number of new opportunities to create new cultures would encourage.

Thanks, now I just have to find two partners and get going.
hts

Postby Akhenaten » Tue May 03, 2016 12:51 pm

A few thoughts on this; overall, I like the idea.

On the Black Alorians in Rutania, oh boy here we go. This was one of the problems of letting one person completely turn a culture on its head. Aloria used to be a carbon copy of the United States, with all that entails. Then someone came along and made it Welsh, with no Africans or history of slavery. So now the Black Alorians in Rutania are essentially a relic of a country that no longer exists. They are an anachronism and haven't been recently roleplayed. I say we can just forget about this group.

Although origin stories aren't mandated, I think they're important to preserve the history of what was there before. I've got a rough outline of one possibility; I'd also put the nation where Ibutho is now, if we're going to open it up.

There's a massive epidemic of some disease in Ibutho, wiping out a huge percentage of the population. Think a localized version of the 1918 Spanish Flu. Some refugees flee to Cobura, which will allow some of the Zulu culture of Ibutho to be preserved. At the same time, there's a movement in Luthori to regain their imperial power. Luthorians head to Ibutho, maybe establishing themselves in the areas most devastated by the disease. Maybe they're there under the guise of relief efforts. Eventually the cultures meld into something resembling the American South, and the Luthori Anglicanism turns into an evangelical Christianity. There could be an annexation (it turns into North Luthori) and an eventual war of independence. There's a ton of possibilities here.

As far as segregation goes, I would avoid this at first for fear of the country turning into far-right fantasyland. There would very likely be some ethnic tension in the country, so this and the KKK idea do sound like possible directions at some point.
Akhenaten

Postby Farsun » Tue May 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Aloria's history previously had Celtic/Welsh influences in it alongside Germans and then it turned to America the Carbon Copy, but it was nice to see it restored. Ibutho could keep its history, again, no one has to follow my upcoming history of Artania but it explains a ton of things and since Kirlawa all the sudden went Celtic, it explains things a little more actually. However, Ibutho could keep its ties to Cobura and Talmoria just change it around a bit to fit, but I like HTS' idea for the country overall.
Farsun

Postby Akhenaten » Tue May 03, 2016 1:23 pm

Farsun wrote:Aloria's history previously had Celtic/Welsh influences in it alongside Germans and then it turned to America the Carbon Copy, but it was nice to see it restored. Ibutho could keep its history, again, no one has to follow my upcoming history of Artania but it explains a ton of things and since Kirlawa all the sudden went Celtic, it explains things a little more actually. However, Ibutho could keep its ties to Cobura and Talmoria just change it around a bit to fit, but I like HTS' idea for the country overall.

Oh, okay, my mistake there.
Akhenaten

Next

Return to General