Nation Based on the American South

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Nation Based on the American South

Postby Farsun » Tue May 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Akhenaten wrote:
Farsun wrote:Aloria's history previously had Celtic/Welsh influences in it alongside Germans and then it turned to America the Carbon Copy, but it was nice to see it restored. Ibutho could keep its history, again, no one has to follow my upcoming history of Artania but it explains a ton of things and since Kirlawa all the sudden went Celtic, it explains things a little more actually. However, Ibutho could keep its ties to Cobura and Talmoria just change it around a bit to fit, but I like HTS' idea for the country overall.

Oh, okay, my mistake there.

Haha I was just saying that Aloria's backstory already had Celtic/Welsh influence and when it became "America" it was just ya know, the generic thing that most countries go through at one point or another.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Duke Matthus » Tue May 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Akhenaten wrote:There's a massive epidemic of some disease in Ibutho, wiping out a huge percentage of the population. Think a localized version of the 1918 Spanish Flu. Some refugees flee to Cobura, which will allow some of the Zulu culture of Ibutho to be preserved. At the same time, there's a movement in Luthori to regain their imperial power. Luthorians head to Ibutho, maybe establishing themselves in the areas most devastated by the disease. Maybe they're there under the guise of relief efforts. Eventually the cultures meld into something resembling the American South, and the Luthori Anglicanism turns into an evangelical Christianity. There could be an annexation (it turns into North Luthori) and an eventual war of independence. There's a ton of possibilities here.

My god...someone found our notes. Luthori we must move quickly, they have found out about our plans!

This is actually fairly close to what we have been thinking about in Luthori for sometime. However, before it was "set" to be come culturally open, we were thinking of causing some incident that caused a Luthori minority government to be formed and protected by Luthori. It would slowly be "annexed" as the country moved from protectorate to "Boarder Princes/Northern Territories." This requires plays to leave Luthori and that has been one of the major issues, recruiting people willing to do this.

Anyway, if you are interested in doing something along these lines with Luthori, please feel free to message me. I am going to have a lot more free time after Wednesday next week, so I can actually begin to plan and work on RPs again.
Long Live the Empire!!!!
And while we are at it, "Hail the Holy Britannian Empire!!!!!"
Duke Matthus

Postby CCP » Tue May 03, 2016 2:29 pm

hts wrote:
CCP wrote:Would the country be a post-war/reconstruction south? Or would it be a contemporary/new south? I think the latter would be fairly indistinguishable from the larger US. I think the former would have a pretty thin European majority (approaching parity) with at least two regions being majority-African American to represent post-war South Carolina, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

I like the idea of a reconstruction south. I have actually read up quite a bit on it. Would that mean that segregation still exists? Perhaps we could include a PT version of the KKK.

As far as I understand it, de jure segregation was a post-reconstruction phenomenon. But generally, yeah, those kinds of conflicts seem like they would be the order of the day, especially early on. When I read your post, the first thing that occurred to me was a constant hot to cold civil war with the country's gameplay basically being about whether and how the standoff was ever resolved.
Global Roleplay Committee Chair(until March 2019)
Ity ꜣḥwt xꜣdt, Hawu Mumenhes
Movement for Radical Libertarianism, Talmoria
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
Sizwe Esintsundu Amandla Inhlangano, Ibutho
Christian Communalist Party, Rildanor
CCP

Postby SelucianCrusader » Tue May 03, 2016 3:37 pm

Could actually be interested to have whites as a dominant minority in a Deep South-esque Ikradon/Ibutho. Mostly Luthoran Hosian of course.

I really like this idea. Ibutho needs a fresh restart.
SelucianCrusader

Postby hts » Wed May 04, 2016 1:24 am

Akhenaten wrote:There's a massive epidemic of some disease in Ibutho, wiping out a huge percentage of the population. Think a localized version of the 1918 Spanish Flu. Some refugees flee to Cobura, which will allow some of the Zulu culture of Ibutho to be preserved. At the same time, there's a movement in Luthori to regain their imperial power. Luthorians head to Ibutho, maybe establishing themselves in the areas most devastated by the disease. Maybe they're there under the guise of relief efforts. Eventually the cultures meld into something resembling the American South, and the Luthori Anglicanism turns into an evangelical Christianity. There could be an annexation (it turns into North Luthori) and an eventual war of independence. There's a ton of possibilities here.

I like this story, I am definitely considering it. However, when would we say this event took place? Because it seems like a transition that would take some time.

Duke Matthus wrote:Anyway, if you are interested in doing something along these lines with Luthori, please feel free to message me. I am going to have a lot more free time after Wednesday next week, so I can actually begin to plan and work on RPs again.

I'll shoot you a message at some point. Any guys from Luthori willing to come over and help? We need three players to create the CP.

CCP wrote:
As far as I understand it, de jure segregation was a post-reconstruction phenomenon. But generally, yeah, those kinds of conflicts seem like they would be the order of the day, especially early on. When I read your post, the first thing that occurred to me was a constant hot to cold civil war with the country's gameplay basically being about whether and how the standoff was ever resolved.

Very interesting. I agree that racial tension would certainly be an issue that has to be RPed if this nation is made.

SelucianCrusader wrote:Could actually be interested to have whites as a dominant minority in a Deep South-esque Ikradon/Ibutho. Mostly Luthoran Hosian of course.

I really like this idea. Ibutho needs a fresh restart.

I am hesitant about making the whites an oppressive minority, as I am afraid that it will spawn a Black-revolt RP that reverts Ibutho back to an African state. But I would want the black minority to be very large, and for certain regions to be majority black.

I appreciate all the comments and ideas. Please keep them coming.

P.S if anyone is interested in joining me in building this thing please let me know.
“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”
hts

Postby HSP » Sun May 08, 2016 3:12 pm

HI Everyone,

This is something I am very interested in and would be willing to join. While I'm no expert on the American South I am writing my thesis on Rhodesia after UDI and would bring that with me to this nation. Please feel free to PM me with more details.
HSP

Postby theoriginaltrotka » Tue May 10, 2016 7:10 pm

I propose scrapping Beitneyu instead, that nation seems to be a lot less relevant to the stories of countries than Ibutho. Plus the area will make an interesting geographical location for this nation.
theoriginaltrotka

Postby Farsun » Tue May 10, 2016 7:57 pm

theoriginaltrotka wrote:I propose scrapping Beitneyu instead, that nation seems to be a lot less relevant to the stories of countries than Ibutho. Plus the area will make an interesting geographical location for this nation.

It's Culturally Protected, that won't be happening and Beitenyu is incredibly interesting if someone were to play it.
Farsun

Postby theoriginaltrotka » Tue May 10, 2016 9:22 pm

What about Keymon? It's largely irrelevant to nation play and we already have Dundorf and Dorvik which are incredibly similar to Keymon.
theoriginaltrotka

Postby Farsun » Tue May 10, 2016 10:34 pm

theoriginaltrotka wrote:What about Keymon? It's largely irrelevant to nation play and we already have Dundorf and Dorvik which are incredibly similar to Keymon.

Where did Dundorf and Dorvik come into this? Keymon is a random hodge-podge of culture.
Farsun

PreviousNext

Return to General