Say your piece, make suggestions and offer feedback to any aspect of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Feedback: Real-Life Equivalents Index

Postby jamescfm » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:14 pm

robmark0000 wrote:Base: Link

Marcus Crassus (member of the First Triumvirate in Rome with Caesar and Pompeius, and the man who died with gold poured on his mouth because he was so greedy) could be Marco Trassus?

Not too sure about this one. The name's are very similar and I would have thought that the equivalent of a Roman politician would probably originate in Selucia and not Endralon, otherwise it's not too clear what the equivalence would be.
jamescfm

Postby robmark0000 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:39 pm

Not too sure about this one. The name's are very similar and I would have thought that the equivalent of a Roman politician would probably originate in Selucia and not Endralon, otherwise it's not too clear what the equivalence would be.

Of course he has nothing to do with Endralon, and he was Selucian, however I just wanted to use him a metaphor for Endralonian businessmen and women.
Information: Player Profile here, Musical Profile here, Political Compass here.
World Congress Coordinator

"Only the Young can run. So run, and run, and run!" ~ Taylor Swift
robmark0000

Location: Hungary / Magyarország (my liberal soul is in prison here, big big sadness)

Postby jamescfm » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:46 pm

As a general rule it is up to the players in a country to determine real-life equivalents for historical figures associated with that country, I would talk to the players in Selucia and ensure that this proposed real-life equivalent fits into the history of the country. I would also consider whether this is an equivalent that we need in the game. Primarily real-life equivalents should be limited in terms of persons to those who had significant historical and philosophical or political impact such that it would be difficult not to reference them. For example, the Buddha, Karl Marx or Jesus Christ.
jamescfm

Postby robmark0000 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 pm

jamescfm wrote:As a general rule it is up to the players in a country to determine real-life equivalents for historical figures associated with that country, I would talk to the players in Selucia and ensure that this proposed real-life equivalent fits into the history of the country. I would also consider whether this is an equivalent that we need in the game. Primarily real-life equivalents should be limited in terms of persons to those who had significant historical and philosophical or political impact such that it would be difficult not to reference them. For example, the Buddha, Karl Marx or Jesus Christ.

OK, I can get that.
Also I love the details, and also little references in Particracy, so I think would be nice if some so-called 'insignificant' character would be shortly rethought in this fiction.
Information: Player Profile here, Musical Profile here, Political Compass here.
World Congress Coordinator

"Only the Young can run. So run, and run, and run!" ~ Taylor Swift
robmark0000

Location: Hungary / Magyarország (my liberal soul is in prison here, big big sadness)

Postby jamescfm » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:02 pm

At the moment, I don't believe we have an in-game equivalent to Niccolò Machiavelli. If other players (particularly those in Istalia, obviously) would be open to the idea, I'd like to make the in-game equivalent a little less direct than has typically been the case for many historical figures. In this respect I was considering having our Machiavelli-equivalent be Aldegarian with a different cultural and historical context but a similar political philosophy. What do others think of this idea?
jamescfm

Postby Polites » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:14 am

jamescfm wrote:At the moment, I don't believe we have an in-game equivalent to Niccolò Machiavelli. If other players (particularly those in Istalia, obviously) would be open to the idea, I'd like to make the in-game equivalent a little less direct than has typically been the case for many historical figures. In this respect I was considering having our Machiavelli-equivalent be Aldegarian with a different cultural and historical context but a similar political philosophy. What do others think of this idea?

That could be cool, or alternatively he could be Selucian. I used a lot of Machiavelli's political philosophy, and especially John McCormick's modern adaptation as Machiavellian Democracy, as an influence for the populist variety of Selucian republicanism (elaborated here). But since I didn't directly mention any Machiavelli equivalent, he's up for grabs, and there's no reason why an Aldegarian philosopher wouldn't be popular in Selucia. The only thing though is that Machiavelli was thoroughly republican, so he might not make much sense in a context where monarchy is the default.

On another note, I wrote up an equivalent of The Lion King, calling it The Lion Republic. The only equivalent character given a name is Cautes, the equivalent of Scar. If these could be added to the index that would be great!
Polites

Postby Wu Han » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:37 pm

In the same vein, is there an equivalent for Antonio Gramsci? Of course, this character would be very influenced by the in-game Machiavelli...
(he/him)
Current: Cildania
Former: Listed Here
Wu Han

Postby jamescfm » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:58 pm

Telugu: Avidugu

Added.
jamescfm

Postby colonelvesica » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:08 pm

Lexington Entertainment: Sony Entertainment
Gamestation 2: Playstation 5
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby jamescfm » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:57 am

colonelvesica wrote:Lexington Entertainment: Sony Entertainment
Gamestation 2: Playstation 5

Hope you'll accept my apology on the delay. Both have been added now.
jamescfm

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback