Farsun threatens to delete the wiki

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Farsun threatens to delete the wiki

Postby SelucianCrusader » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:24 pm

...in retaliation for him being banned:

http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/User_b ... racy_Wikia

If he goes through with this, I propose we'll have a full game retcon as have been discussed before.
SelucianCrusader

Re: Farsun threatens to delete the wiki

Postby CCP » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:44 pm

There aren't enough details there to understand what's going on. As usual, it's a way more dramatic way of dealing with a minor issue than this little game warrants. Just export the wiki articles to a moderator-controlled wiki.
Global Roleplay Committee Chair(until March 2019)
Ity ꜣḥwt xꜣdt, Hawu Mumenhes
Movement for Radical Libertarianism, Talmoria
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
Sizwe Esintsundu Amandla Inhlangano, Ibutho
Christian Communalist Party, Rildanor
CCP

Postby Reddy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:18 am

CCP wrote:There aren't enough details there to understand what's going on. As usual, it's a way more dramatic way of dealing with a minor issue than this little game warrants. Just export the wiki articles to a moderator-controlled wiki.

There is no Moderator controlled Wiki that I know of and personally I'd prefer that the Wiki remain autonomous. And, some of us do care about our contributions to the Wiki to be concerned enough about what happens to this 'little game' 's wiki. :geek: It's a collective effort by dozens if not hundreds of players with nearly 10,000 articles and cannot be used as some kind of bargaining chip.

As for retconning, I don't know...sounds like a lot of work, but it would also present a unique opportunity.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby CCP » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:55 am

Reddy wrote:There is no Moderator controlled Wiki that I know of

Aquinas would just make one. It takes 60 seconds.

Reddy wrote:and personally I'd prefer that the Wiki remain autonomous.

Why?

Reddy wrote:And, some of us do care about our contributions to the Wiki to be concerned enough about what happens to this 'little game' 's wiki. :geek:

Yea I don't wanna lose the stuff I wrote there either. That's why Farsun shouldn't be running it, or anything else for that matter. If moderation controls it, there's less risk of this kind of situation.
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
CCP

Postby Reddy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:48 pm

CCP wrote:
Reddy wrote:There is no Moderator controlled Wiki that I know of

Aquinas would just make one. It takes 60 seconds.

Reddy wrote:and personally I'd prefer that the Wiki remain autonomous.

Why?

Well, the Moderation team already has a lot of duties and that could lead to it being potentially neglected. I also think that it's a task that requires someone with considerable Wiki know-how...like yourself it seems. It would also be good to just have some autonomous player-managed institutions if only because it would protect some of those institutions in the event of a leadership crisis.

CCP wrote:
Reddy wrote:And, some of us do care about our contributions to the Wiki to be concerned enough about what happens to this 'little game' 's wiki. :geek:

Yea I don't wanna lose the stuff I wrote there either. That's why Farsun shouldn't be running it, or anything else for that matter. If moderation controls it, there's less risk of this kind of situation.

That's true but I think we can also find a number of decent and diligent player who can manage it well. I've said this to Farsun himself numerous times - he has done a really good job as Bureaucrat (in my opinion) It's only these events this year which have shaken my faith in him on that front. The wiki has improved a lot since I joined the game about 4 years ago, and I think at least part of the credit is to Farsun and his team, Polites and Michael Reilly.
Last edited by Reddy on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby Polites » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:05 pm

Reddy wrote:That's true but I think we can also find a number of decent and diligent player who can manage it well. I've said this to Farsun himself numerous times - he has done a really good job as Bureaucrat (in my opinion) It's only these events this year which have shaken my faith in him on that front. The wiki has improved a lot since I joined the game about 4 years ago, and I think at least part of the credit is to Farsun and his team, Polites and Michael Reilly.

I got fired though, so I have no more power on the wiki than any other user.

I do agree that Farsun's done a great job as a Bureaucrat, particularly on the wiki management side. I never did anything remotely useful as him when it comes to categorization, standardization, and maintenance. There is a problem when there's a single Bureaucrat though, and I do think Moderation and/or Wouter should have Bureaucrat powers, and there should ideally be at least one Administrator.
Polites

Postby SelucianCrusader » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:09 pm

Farsun now claims that he cannot delete the wiki even if he would want to do that.

Too be fair, I think that Farsun has contributed much and despite his flaws (which we all have - I loved to provoke some people myself now and then back in the IML-ATR conflict days) I'm not exited to see him go. Of course, I don't know what caused this either. I do think Aquinas has been very beneficial to the community by creating a more tolerant atmosphere and caring more about people's feelings than any previous moderator I know of. Maybe this was necessary because something we'll never know about.

I kinda agree with Reddy that having an autonomous wiki is beneficial: after all the mods/mod probably have more than enough to do already.
SelucianCrusader

Postby JuliaAJA » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:35 pm

I have heard from Farsun what happened and I even had a small court of current and former players assembled in IRC but Aquinas would never come give his side of the story.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby SelucianCrusader » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:01 pm

Jessaveryja wrote:I have heard from Farsun what happened and I even had a small court of current and former players assembled in IRC but Aquinas would never come give his side of the story.
Oh. Very interesting. Care to share some?
SelucianCrusader

Postby CCP » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:12 pm

Reddy wrote:Well, the Moderation team already has a lot of duties and that could lead to it being potentially neglected. I also think that it's a task that requires someone with considerable Wiki know-how...like yourself it seems. It would also be good to just have some autonomous player-managed institutions if only because it would protect some of those institutions in the event of a leadership crisis.

Like polities implies, I don't think the moderation should operate the wiki day to day. I just think moderation should have ultimate control of the wiki and appoint its admin(s), just like moderation does with leaderless party orgs. That arrangement won't have any significant impact on moderation duties.
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
CCP

Next

Return to General