World Congress & Security Council

An archive of previous sessions of both the General Assembly and Security Council as well as various ad hoc consultations and meetings.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: World Congress & Security Council

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:46 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:
Rathon wrote:In my proposals on the old thread, I paired Indrala with Seleya because I thought I read on the Wiki that Indrala was considered part of Seleya, but upon rereading it, it says "It is generally considered part of the South Seleya region or Southwest Dovani region." I paired Keymon with Artania for the purpose of trying to keep the number of seats in each region as close to equal as possible.
Indrala shares the Dovanian Asian culture, so it is probably more fair to put it in that category.

That's what I've been saying.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Aquinas » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:57 pm

TheTsar wrote:I think we should just have the 6 great powers (according to the RP accord) be the permanent members, and another 6 are elected by the nations. What do you think?

Looking at what has been going on so far, it looks like some players/parties/nations may be taking into account the RP Accord rankings - at least to a degree, anyway. Indrala seems to have picked up nominations rather effortlessly, for example.
Aquinas

Postby Siggon Kristov » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:10 am

Aquinas wrote:
TheTsar wrote:I think we should just have the 6 great powers (according to the RP accord) be the permanent members, and another 6 are elected by the nations. What do you think?

Looking at what has been going on so far, it looks like some players/parties/nations may be taking into account the RP Accord rankings - at least to a degree, anyway. Indrala seems to have picked up nominations rather effortlessly, for example.

I'd be optimistic enough to say the inverse is the case. I think the RP Accord rankings are accurate enough to measure just how much influence certain countries have.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Autokrator15 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:54 pm

Aquinas wrote:
Seat A

Luthori - 5
Endralon - 4
Dorvik - 3
Aloria - 1
Dundorf - 1
Hobrazia - 1
Kirlawa - 1
Malivia - 1
Rutania - 1

Whahaha, feel the might of the two Pelicans! Handy dandy a cultural link with Endralon. If Endralon wins New Endralon's interests will be represented for sure!

I disagree, Trigunia has little to no support for the SC. Hutori and Talmoria are rocking and even I had more votes then Trigunia has, ofcourse that ended when I gave my full support to Hutori.

Whilst I understand this wasn't a question for me, personally, I'd like to register my opposition to this idea. There has to be a balance between realism and fairness. Obviously, there is a bias with both of us in this scenario but I ask do you really think it's fair that a nation like Indrala, where the single party hasn't even voted for themselves, should be automatically given a seat over a nation like Hutori (or Kalistan) where several parties are actively campaigning for their seat? In my opinion, that would be extremely harsh on players who choose to play in poorer/less-developed/weaker nations.

I agree

This is certaintly true. Though strategic voting musnt be forgotten. We voted for Indrala at first because they are our allies (and they are a superpower) but we voted for Hutori out of fear that Trigunia might win the D seat for example.
Autokrator15

Postby Reddy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:11 pm

TheTsar wrote:Look at the real world and no-one is complaining that the 5 superpowers are permament Security Council members and the others are elected by the General Assembly.

I'm sorry but that is just wrong. The composition of the UNSC is one of the most widely criticised things about the UN. Much of the criticism is not about the existence of permanent seats but rather who should hold them and their veto power.

That said, the idea of permanent seats is an interesting one but perhaps the seats could be granted to regional supranational organisations like the Majatran Union and they could be roleplayed by RP team members or through some other method. I think granting such seats to countries would become problematic as the RP Accord, despite its success still only cover a minority of countries.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby Autokrator15 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:18 pm

Reddy wrote:
TheTsar wrote:Look at the real world and no-one is complaining that the 5 superpowers are permament Security Council members and the others are elected by the General Assembly.

I'm sorry but that is just wrong. The composition of the UNSC is one of the most widely criticised things about the UN. Much of the criticism is not about the existence of permanent seats but rather who should hold them and their veto power.

That said, the idea of permanent seats is an interesting one but perhaps the seats could be granted to regional supranational organisations like the Majatran Union and they could be roleplayed by RP team members or through some other method. I think granting such seats to countries would become problematic as the RP Accord, despite its success still only cover a minority of countries.

Maybe a good idea. This could give more reason and power behind creating regional organisations such as the Keris Union.
Autokrator15

Postby RIS » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:48 pm

jamescfm wrote:

Whilst I understand this wasn't a question for me, personally, I'd like to register my opposition to this idea. There has to be a balance between realism and fairness. Obviously, there is a bias with both of us in this scenario but I ask do you really think it's fair that a nation like Indrala, where the single party hasn't even voted for themselves, should be automatically given a seat over a nation like Hutori (or Kalistan) where several parties are actively campaigning for their seat? In my opinion, that would be extremely harsh on players who choose to play in poorer/less-developed/weaker nations.

While I agree with you and I am thankful for your defense. I would like to point out that Hutori is a major power, we have knock on the Trigunian Bear's door before. :D
Former Global RP Team Economist

Active Parties:
Hutori- Federalist Party

Inactive Parties:
Klavia- Palatinus Evimería Factio
RIS

Postby Aquinas » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:59 am

I was thinking it could be fun to organise some debates between different participants advocating different nations for the Security Council. Any thoughts on that?
Aquinas

Postby CCP » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:12 am

Aquinas wrote:I was thinking it could be fun to organise some debates between different participants advocating different nations for the Security Council. Any thoughts on that?

Several candidate-nations are already moving in that direction. My position is that an official debate platform under the auspices of moderation would disrupt various countries' SC strategies, for instance by potentially drawing more foreign affairs-averse nations off the sidelines which would significantly change the current voter turnout situation.
Global Roleplay Committee Chair(until March 2019)
Ity ꜣḥwt xꜣdt, Hawu Mumenhes
Movement for Radical Libertarianism, Talmoria
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
Sizwe Esintsundu Amandla Inhlangano, Ibutho
Christian Communalist Party, Rildanor
CCP

Postby Aquinas » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:25 am

CCP wrote:
Aquinas wrote:I was thinking it could be fun to organise some debates between different participants advocating different nations for the Security Council. Any thoughts on that?

Several candidate-nations are already moving in that direction. My position is that an official debate platform under the auspices of moderation would disrupt various countries' SC strategies, for instance by potentially drawing more foreign affairs-averse nations off the sidelines which would significantly change the current voter turnout situation.

A formal Moderation-organised debate (or set of debates) wasn't what I had specifically in mind, but its interesting if the debate idea is being talked about - maybe something will develop.
Aquinas

PreviousNext

Return to Sessions Archive