Nation title character limits (was Renaming thread)

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Nation title character limits (was Renaming thread)

Postby jamescfm » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Not an actual request but a question in relation to Nation Renaming, is there a character limit for a nation's name at all?
jamescfm

Re: Nation/Region/City/Newspaper Renaming Requests

Postby Aquinas » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:36 pm

jamescfm wrote:Not an actual request but a question in relation to Nation Renaming, is there a character limit for a nation's name at all?

This is a good question, actually.

The Game Rules as they stand at the moment do not set a character limit. At least during the time I have been in Moderation, there have been no really controversially long nation titles proposed, so this hasn't really come up as an issue.

From what I can make out from the records, it looks as though in 2011 a rule, or at least a precedent or convention, was introduced that nation titles should not be longer than 40 characters (although I am not 100% clear as to whether or not this included English translations put in brackets). But I should emphasise this has not been followed during my time, and from what I can make out, I'm doubtful it has been enforced for a very long time now.

I'm moving this into General Discussion, so anyone who wishes to do so can discuss this further.
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:51 pm

Aquinas wrote:
jamescfm wrote:Not an actual request but a question in relation to Nation Renaming, is there a character limit for a nation's name at all?

The Game Rules as they stand at the moment do not set a character limit. At least during the time I have been in Moderation, there have been no really controversially long nation titles proposed, so this hasn't really come up as an issue.

From what I can make out from the records, it looks as though in 2011 a rule, or at least a precedent or convention, was introduced that nation titles should not be longer than 40 characters (although I am not 100% clear as to whether or not this included English translations put in brackets). But I should emphasise this has not been followed during my time, and from what I can make out, I'm doubtful it has been enforced for a very long time now.

I'm moving this into General Discussion, so anyone who wishes to do so can discuss this further.

Okay, thanks. I was more wondering whether there was a limitation within the game, i.e. a name beyond a certain number characters would not fit. The context of this, by the way, is that I have proposed to slightly alter Kizenia/New Endralon's name. As it happens, the current title is well over 40 characters anyway.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:58 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Aquinas wrote:

Okay, thanks. I was more wondering whether there was a limitation within the game, i.e. a name beyond a certain number characters would not fit. The context of this, by the way, is that I have proposed to slightly alter Kizenia/New Endralon's name. As it happens, the current title is well over 40 characters anyway.

I'm not aware of any limitation within the game mechanics, but if a nation title was proposed that was really ridiculously over-long, we'd probably decline to implement it (simply because it would somewhat mess up the Nation Overview page).

There should be no problem whatsoever with the the name you're considering at the moment though, so no need to worry about that.
Aquinas

Return to General