game mechanism questions

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

game mechanism questions

Postby zaboron » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi,

it has been a while since the last time I played this game and I am not too sure about how some mechanisms work.
regarding the opinions:
http://classic.particracy.net/viewopini ... ationid=44

Is the "national" opinion on issues just the average across all five regions? I tried to figure this out but it doesn't seem to match up.
What do I need to pay attention to? The regions or the national opinions?
Do voters vote to the party closest to their opinion according to the distribution and weight?
zaboron

Re: game mechanism questions

Postby Aquinas » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:55 pm

zaboron wrote:Hi,

it has been a while since the last time I played this game and I am not too sure about how some mechanisms work.
regarding the opinions:
http://classic.particracy.net/viewopini ... ationid=44

Is the "national" opinion on issues just the average across all five regions? I tried to figure this out but it doesn't seem to match up.
What do I need to pay attention to? The regions or the national opinions?
Do voters vote to the party closest to their opinion according to the distribution and weight?

The exact formula which determines how election results are generated is a closely-guarded secret known only to the game creator (even Moderators don't have access to it!). But from what I understand, the national opinions are meant to be a combined average of all of the regional opinions. You would probably be well-advised to look first at the national opinions, but the regional opinions are helpful too and can be strategically important (eg. there might be a region where the voters are really concerned just about 1 or 2 of the Opinions, so make sure you have good Visibility on those). And yes, voters attach more weight to some of the Opinions than others, depending on their "Importance".
Aquinas

Postby zaboron » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:42 pm

Thanks for the update!

I checked and the average share of "moderate secular" people across all five regions indeed matches the share of "moderate secular" people in the country.
I am not so sure yet about the importance though.
E.g. in Kalopiac:
Ecology
Wantuni: tiny
Mozavia: tiny
Sezalia: tiny
Jafira: tiny
Minoshar: vital
Kalopian Republic: dominant

Centralization
Wantuni: dominant
Mozavia: tiny
Sezalia: tiny
Jafira: tiny
Minoshar: tiny
Kalopian Republic: tiny

I am not sure why Ecology is considered a dominant issue in the nation with only one region caring about it, while Centralization is not of any importance even though another region also strongly cares about it.
So vital > dominant >strong > moderate > small > tiny? (these are all the weights I could find)
zaboron

Postby Aquinas » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:46 pm

So far as I understand, the Opinions and the Importance ratings are determined randomly, although they do change very slowly over time.
Aquinas

Postby CCP » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:58 pm

zaboron wrote:So vital > dominant >strong > moderate > small > tiny? (these are all the weights I could find)

I always thought it was dominant > vital > strong > moderate > small >tiny
Global Roleplay Committee Chair(until March 2019)
Ity ꜣḥwt xꜣdt, Hawu Mumenhes
Movement for Radical Libertarianism, Talmoria
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
Sizwe Esintsundu Amandla Inhlangano, Ibutho
Christian Communalist Party, Rildanor
CCP

Postby zaboron » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:11 pm

CCP wrote:
zaboron wrote:So vital > dominant >strong > moderate > small > tiny? (these are all the weights I could find)

I always thought it was dominant > vital > strong > moderate > small >tiny

but why is one region with vital and four regions with tiny interest in an issue resulting in an overall dominant weight,
but one region with dominant and four regions with tiny interest resulting in a tiny weight?

Or is the scale much more fluid behind the curtains than these 6 values suggest?
zaboron

Postby Zanz » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:20 pm

I've never really looked at this, so I'm sort of brainstorming, but I wonder if perhaps regional values play more role in the region-by-region elections (e.g. seats in the legislature) which national values play more role in the overall elections (e.g. HoS)?
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby zaboron » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:19 am

tempted to put this in a machine learning algorithm to figure out how this works, heh.

Another question:
If a bill changes the length of term (shortens it), does that also apply to the current term or only the one after the next election.
So, if the bill shortens the term to less than the current term already lasted, would that trigger elections immediately?
zaboron

Postby Aquinas » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:25 am

I'm pretty sure it does apply to the current term, and does sometimes result in elections being immediately triggered.
Aquinas

Postby zaboron » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:44 am

Yes, you are right. The passing of the bill triggered immediate elections.

Thanks a lot!
zaboron

Return to General