Can Players Allege Electoral Rigging? (An RP Question)

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Can Players Allege Electoral Rigging? (An RP Question)

Postby lordmichael » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:18 am

I'm new to Particracy, so I am unsure if players are allowed to allege that a national election has been rigged. Is this possible, and if so, are there extra hoops that have to be jumped through?

To give background to my request, I play the Liberty League, one of two parties within the Marele Ducat al Voronei (Grand Duchy of Vorona), and the party advocating for the return of a civilian government. Until after Vorona's most resent election (which can be viewed here: http://classic.particracy.net/viewnews. ... &nation=56), the other player was RPing as the military, officially known as the Comisia de Restaurare Națională, which had overthrown the previous government.

Looking at the election results, one can see that were I was defeated was in the Județ known as Munteneia, where I lost by a resounding 99.90% of the vote. Since the other player was RPing as the military, and the military was the police, if an opposition party lost a region as badly as I did, they might claim that the military government engaged in voter suppression/voter fraud.

It would seem then I would be justified in claiming that the election has been rigged. But would any of the RP led to a different election result? My gut says no.
~Antonio Szilágyi
Chairman of the Liberty League, a political party in the Marele Ducat al Voronei (Grand Duchy of Vorona)
lordmichael

Re: Can Players Allege Electoral Rigging? (An RP Question)

Postby Reddy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:03 am

Hi,

Welcome to Particracy. There is nothing that should prevent you from making any kind of allegations about the Government or another political party. In fact where circumstances are suitable you can even go further than as shown in the rule quoted below, which allows you

21.2.2 The ability, on a modest scale, to role-play events within the nation.

21.2.3 The ability to role-play a small rebellion. This is especially so in cases where the government is role-played in a way which seems to make rebellion more plausible, such as by restricting political activity and suppressing dissent.

However it is advisable that you consult with the other player/s in your nation and make an effort to gain their consent. Another thing to note are consequences. Your national laws (hardcoded or roleplay) might allow your Government to punish the individual or organisation that makes such allegations especially where freedom of speech is restricted. This is covered by the rule below

21.3.1 Players also consent to the reasonable and predictable consequences of the role-play they consent to. For example, players who role-play their characters as committing criminal offences should expect those characters to experience the predictable judicial consequences of that.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Re: Can Players Allege Electoral Rigging? (An RP Question)

Postby lordmichael » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:27 am

Thank you very much for the information.
~Antonio Szilágyi
Chairman of the Liberty League, a political party in the Marele Ducat al Voronei (Grand Duchy of Vorona)
lordmichael

Return to General