IMPORTANT!!!: End of 3rd Cultural Era consultation

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

IMPORTANT!!!: End of 3rd Cultural Era consultation

Postby Aquinas » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:23 am

As most of you will hopefully be aware by now, since about this time last year, Particracy has had a system where Cultural Protocols needs to be affirmed each Cultural Era, or else the nation becomes a candidate for Culturally Open status. For more detailed information on what Cultural Protocols are and how they work, please read sections 6 and 15-17 of the Game Rules.

We are now at the close of Particracy's third Cultural Era. There are 2 categories of candidates for us to look at...

Category One: automatic candidates/new Cultural Protocols

In accordance with section 17 of the Game Rules, the first category consists of the 3 newly-created Cultural Protocols (ie. those set up during the Cultural Era which has just closed). These are the Cultural Protocols for...

Kalistan
Klavia Okeano/Keymon
Malivia

We are inviting feedback on how these Cultural Protocols have been working out, how players feel about them and whether or not they should continue into the next Cultural Era.

Category Two: unaffirmed Cultural Protocols

In accordance with section 15 of the Game Rules, the second category consists of the 5 Cultural Protocols which were not affirmed by players during the Cultural Era that has just closed. These are the Cultural Protocols for...

Aldegar
Barmenia
Dankuk/Dranland
Egelion
Indrala

On the previous two occasions, we went into the End of Cultural Era consultation with fixed quotas in mind in terms of how many of the Category Two Cultural Protocols would be saved. This time we are taking a different approach, where we are not starting out with any fixed quota, but will instead try to examine each candidate, listen carefully to player feedback and make a decision on the basis of the merits of each individual case.

That said, we do encourage you to try to be nuanced in your feedback, outlining a hierarchy of preferences as opposed to just saying "Save them all" or "Scrap them all".

As some of you will recall, the Cultural Protocol for Dankuk was a candidate at the close of the previous Cultural Era back in September. This does not mean it cannot be saved again this time, but it does naturally mean it is under extra scrutiny this time.

Notes on the consultation process

If you want to argue for a Cultural Protocol to be maintained, please avoid laborious explanations and excuses for why it didn't get affirmed. Instead, tell us what the Cultural Protocol means in practice to you. Present a positive case for why it should continue into the next Cultural Era.

The final choices will be made by Moderation, but before we make the decision, we want to hear as much feedback as possible.

When discussing a candidate nation on this thread, please tell us a little about your background in the game and provide links to your relevant in-game party account(s). If you do not do this, we may, for example, not realise you have been playing in the nation for the last year as opposed to being someone from outside the nation who has never actually played there.

We would like this process to be as open as possible. Every player in every candidate nation will be messaged about what the situation is and about this specific thread. Players may, if they wish, approach us privately with their views, but we would prefer if they gave their feedback here, in public, on this thread.

However, in order to ensure this openness, all posters have a responsibility to be civil. Every player in this game needs to feel comfortable coming to this thread and participating in this process. No matter how strong the emotions involved may be, courtesy must be maintained at all times.

One of the factors we are interested in is how the candidate nations have fared in terms of player numbers during the current Cultural Era. Some in-game cultures are more popular than others, meaning some nations are regularly filled with players, whilst others spend most of the time as one-party states.

I have compiled a Party Numbers Rating for each of the unaffirmed nations. This works by dividing the Cultural Era into 5 periods, giving each nation a rating for each period and then adding up all of a nation's period ratings to give it its final score.

For each period, nations were given points based on their election with the highest number of parties with seats and their election with the lowest number of parties with seats.

No points were allocated for having just one party, but for each party after that, points were based on the number of parties with seats. In other words, 0 parties = 0 points, 1 party = 0 points, 2 parties = 2 points, 3 parties = 3 points, 4 parties = 4 points and so on.

To give an example of how many points a nation might win for a period, if its election with the lowest number of parties with seats was 4 and its election with the highest number of parties with seats was 7, then it would win 11 points (7+4). Similarly, if its election with the lowest number of parties with seats was 1 and its election with the highest number of parties with seats was 3, then it would win 3 points (3+0).

Without further ado, the Party Numbers Ratings are as follows:

Egelion - 35
Dankuk - 9
Aldegar - 4
Indrala - 4
Barmenia - 0

Of course, these ratings are intended to inform the process of deciding which Cultural Protocols to save, not to determine it. As we will no doubt hear soon from others, there are factors other than player numbers which affect how deserving a Cultural Protocol may be thought to be of saving.

This is a sensitive process and we want to say we understand how, for some of you - including some of our most devoted players - the final outcomes may be difficult to accept. We take no satisfaction in this. Please be assured we are trying to conduct this process as fairly as we can. And remember the choice of which Cultural Protocols to save and which to allow to expire will not be a personal judgement on any particular player or group of players.

One final request: no polls on this, please. Forum polls are easy to manipulate, because some players have multiple forum accounts.
Aquinas

Re: IMPORTANT!!!: End of 3rd Cultural Era consultation

Postby Warlock » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:06 pm

Having played in the nation for quite a while and doing so now, I propose to change Dankuk into culturally open. Historical justifications aside, it hasn't exactly been a hotbed of activity since the implementation of a monolithic (rather inaccessible) culture. The current protocols makes it impossible for us players to utilise the nation's history fully and were created through a drastic demographics change by one single now-inactive player that probably wouldn't be allowed under the current rules. The good thing with cultural openness is that those who want to come and play as a Korean party can do so as well of course.

I'll propose the same for Barmenia which I of course have a very long history in. Same argument actually: The culture is inaccessible and current protocols makes it impossible for players to utilise the nation's history fully and were created through a drastic demographics change by one single player that probably wouldn't be allowed under the current rules. It should be noted in both cases that back when Dranland/Dankuk and Barmenia were quite active both de facto had quite lax regulations on their cultural character, people had character names that were easy to gasp etc.

As for what protocol to retain, I propose Indrala. I don't have any experience over there but I do know how important the country has been for other's history and cultures.
Also known as SelucianCrusader
Warlock

Postby jamescfm » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Firstly, my parties are the Labour Party in Kalistan and the Aldgerian National Party in Aldegar.

In my view, both nations should be allowed to retain their Cultural Protocols. While I know you don't want to hear excuses, I believe Aldegar would have reaffirmed its cultural protocol if me and the other player (RedScot1) had been able to do so but neither of us was in the nation for long enough. As an aside, that player has told me that, for whatever reason, he is unable to access the forums; I asked what his opinion on the matter was and he would like to see the cultural protocols retained (perhaps Moderation could message him in-game to confirm this).

Between us, I would argue that we have developed Aldegar both culturally and internationally over the last few weeks: the reintroduction of the Shah, the promotion of Aldegarian/Persian within the nation and the quasi-aggression against Baltusia show this. In actuality, the current Cultural Protocols could probably do with a bit of a clean-up and perhaps some tweaking but, speaking for myself at least, this is something I'm happy to do.

Aldegar is a rather unique nation in Terra, being the origin of a number of religions, the only nation in which Yazdism is the national religion and the only to be governed by a Shah (to my knowledge!). It was for these reasons that I chose to operate a second account there and I would very much like to continue to work on developing Aldegar. While the loss of the Cultural Protocol wouldn't be a complete disaster, it would be extremely disappointing.

In Kalistan, I would like the cultural protocol to continue also. In my view, it preserves a long-established and unique Kalistani culture of varied and mixed influences. Kalistan always seems to be a popular nation with players (as if to provide evidence), we had eight/nine for much of the period before Christmas (when the CP was in place). We have, admittedly, got fewer players with seats at the moment but I suppose that is to be expected over the holidays.

My thoughts on the others, while of less relevance, are that I agree Indrala should be saved, perhaps it needs somebody to take over as a caretaker/babysitter -style player I think but I would hate to see such a nation lose its identity. Dankuk would probably benefit from becoming Culturally Open.
jamescfm

Postby Polites » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:34 pm

I've played in Kalistan, Aldegar (more than once), Barmenia, Dankuk, and Indrala, and I would like to see all of them keep their Cultural Protocols.

Kalistan's CP is well written and researched, enshrines the nation's long-standing culture, and is a great example of how the CP for an Anglophone nation should look like - it's easy to understand and use, but is also highly original and is unique enough not to be a carbon copy of the US or Britain.

Aldegar's culture is something I've grown very attached to, and abolishing the CP there would be a loss. After all, Aldegar is Particracy's Iran, while being distinct enough to not be a direct copy of RL Iranian culture. Glad to see the players there interested in continuing and elaborating on the culture.

Barmenia is a trickier case; the CP is not particularly accessible and the nation has not been very active, but on the other hand the culture is rather elaborate and Barmenia is a core nation of the Jelbosphere. I think the CP could use a lot of tweaking, by for instance introducing one or more RL languages present on Google Translate, and expanding the list of Jelbic names. Also the nation has a practically permanent long-term player, so I'm curious what his thoughts are on this. I'm willing to help him update the CP and the naming list if he's ok with that and with keeping the current Cultural Protocol. Otherwise, if Oakwood and the community prefer to see Barmenia become culturally open that wouldn't be a tragedy.

Dankuk is Particracy's Korea (without being its carbon copy), which imo is reason enough to keep the CP. The nation has seen a relatively high number of players during the last cultural era, the language is accessible, and the culture is easy to understand.

Same argument goes for Indrala - you can't not have Particracy's China remain part of the game. It's one of the major cultures IRL, language and naming are not an issue, and there are plenty of easily accessible resources for imagery, inspiration for RP, and cultural details.

As for the others, I haven't played there so I don't have a direct interest, but I think they should also be retained. Keymon's new CP seems slightly repetitive (we already have a Roman nation in Selucia and a Graeco-Roman one in Zardugal), but it is quite creative and the players there seem enthusiastic about it. Malivia's Carribean culture is an interesting idea, and it makes a lot of sense considering its history and surrounding cultures; plus the fact that it's Anglophone should make it very accessible. Egelion has a lot of players and quite a lot of activity, and it has a very accessible culture, so I vote to keep it.

All in all, I think all of the CPs currently for review should be kept, but that Barmenia's needs some work.
Polites

Postby Oakwood » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:29 pm

I ask personally that Barmenia be allowed to keep its Cultural Protocols. I was only delayed from reaffirming them due to a lack of internet access, and have committed myself to an extensive RP on that nation. I have sought to create an enjoyable RP experience internationally and with other players.

Through my RP work, I have shifted the nation away from one that is fundamentally Brmek (a la Jelbic) to one that is fundamentally Syriac in its nature, at least culturally. If allowed to continue, in the coming years the Kathuran population would make up over 25% of the population; they have a monopoly on voting rights in the nation, and language and governmental affairs still adheres to them. This is combined with the religious RP that I committed with Polites, in which I created a separate Church to reach out to Brmek's and thus spread the Kathuran language.

My point is....I would like to continue my RP, if I could be allowed to. I know it doesn't seem exciting to you all, but we've all worked on it and I've brought in my own ideas as a history buff into the project. I wish to finish what I've started, and leave the nation with its improved economic, religious, and political history intact.

Thank You,

Oakwood.
Oakwood

Postby hujie83 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:07 am

All parties in the Republic of Yingdala support the continuance of our current Cultural Protocols.
hujie83

Postby Roosevelt » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Honorable Members/ Mr Moderator

I am speaking on behalf of the proud nation of Malivia http://classic.particracy.net/viewnation.php?nationid=14, as my party, the Unity labour Partyhttp://classic.particracy.net/viewparty.php?partyid=28532 is currently holding the majority seats in the National Assembly after general elections last year to which I am also the foreign affairs minister. The people of my country ascribe to the caribbean afro/ indo culture and British parliamentary political parliamentary democracy, to which we have no problem whatsoever in continuing along such a path and thus have no wishes whatsoever in changing the cultural protocols as enacted last year for our state. Thus it is an english speaking country with a diverse culture ethnically and religiously.

Proposed Cultural Protocols of Free State of Malivia which will be accepted again this month http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=493848

I'm obliged
R. Ferdinand- Governance is best met when a leader can think idealistically and act realistically in the interest of the people and govern pragmatically
Unity Labour Party
President OF Malivia
Roosevelt

Postby Warlock » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:22 pm

I'd like to add that I like all of the proposed new CP's, even though Malivia is the only country I've played in so far. Being a long-time player in the Selucosphere where Klavia Okeano/Keymon has long been considered a target of Selucian irredentist claims, Klavia Okeano's CP adds some diversity and originality to the region and makes sense in general.

Like Klavia Okeano, Kalistan presents a very original concept with it's "Cultural Quantum" and is something I would love to see how it works out even if I have never played there. It seems quite in line with already established concepts about Kalistan and its culture as well.

Malivia's protocols seems to set in stone a development that the country has been going thorough for like an IG millennia so it's fair - luckily we've seen Geraja appear elsewhere, like in Pontesi now.
Also known as SelucianCrusader
Warlock

Postby hujie83 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Both parties in the Republic of Yingdala have agreed to ask for an extension of the nation's Cultural Protocols. The measure was voted on twice but was rejected since both parties participating have been in existence for one (non-game) month.
hujie83

Postby hujie83 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:11 am

Polites wrote:I've played in Kalistan, Aldegar (more than once), Barmenia, Dankuk, and Indrala, and I would like to see all of them keep their Cultural Protocols.

Kalistan's CP is well written and researched, enshrines the nation's long-standing culture, and is a great example of how the CP for an Anglophone nation should look like - it's easy to understand and use, but is also highly original and is unique enough not to be a carbon copy of the US or Britain.

Aldegar's culture is something I've grown very attached to, and abolishing the CP there would be a loss. After all, Aldegar is Particracy's Iran, while being distinct enough to not be a direct copy of RL Iranian culture. Glad to see the players there interested in continuing and elaborating on the culture.

Barmenia is a trickier case; the CP is not particularly accessible and the nation has not been very active, but on the other hand the culture is rather elaborate and Barmenia is a core nation of the Jelbosphere. I think the CP could use a lot of tweaking, by for instance introducing one or more RL languages present on Google Translate, and expanding the list of Jelbic names. Also the nation has a practically permanent long-term player, so I'm curious what his thoughts are on this. I'm willing to help him update the CP and the naming list if he's ok with that and with keeping the current Cultural Protocol. Otherwise, if Oakwood and the community prefer to see Barmenia become culturally open that wouldn't be a tragedy.

Dankuk is Particracy's Korea (without being its carbon copy), which imo is reason enough to keep the CP. The nation has seen a relatively high number of players during the last cultural era, the language is accessible, and the culture is easy to understand.

Same argument goes for Indrala - you can't not have Particracy's China remain part of the game. It's one of the major cultures IRL, language and naming are not an issue, and there are plenty of easily accessible resources for imagery, inspiration for RP, and cultural details.

As for the others, I haven't played there so I don't have a direct interest, but I think they should also be retained. Keymon's new CP seems slightly repetitive (we already have a Roman nation in Selucia and a Graeco-Roman one in Zardugal), but it is quite creative and the players there seem enthusiastic about it. Malivia's Carribean culture is an interesting idea, and it makes a lot of sense considering its history and surrounding cultures; plus the fact that it's Anglophone should make it very accessible. Egelion has a lot of players and quite a lot of activity, and it has a very accessible culture, so I vote to keep it.

All in all, I think all of the CPs currently for review should be kept, but that Barmenia's needs some work.

We stand in full support of this comment. One note is that Moderation has kindly allowed Indrala to adopt "Yingdala" as an alternate name, which although the characters don't quite mean anything, is at least pronounceable in Chinese.
hujie83

Next

Return to General