Security Council Elections, Treaties and Party Orgs

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Security Council Elections, Treaties and Party Orgs

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:58 pm

So I am proposing a way to reform Security Council Elections. Instead of making the representative for each seat elected by all of Terra, I think it would be far better and far more realistic, in terms of how the non-permanent members of the UNSC are determined, to only count the votes of the nations in a given region/continent toward the representative for an SC seat. For example, only the Seleyan nations would have a say as to who the representative for Seleya would be. The current non-permanent members of the UNSC all rotate and represent specific regions, but those on rotation are not decided their place by the rest of the GA. My proposition would be far better than the current one. Just a thought.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby jamescfm » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Liu Che/Zhuli wrote:So I am proposing a way to reform Security Council Elections. Instead of making the representative for each seat elected by all of Terra, I think it would be far better and far more realistic, in terms of how the non-permanent members of the UNSC are determined, to only count the votes of the nations in a given region/continent toward the representative for an SC seat. For example, only the Seleyan nations would have a say as to who the representative for Seleya would be. The current non-permanent members of the UNSC all rotate and represent specific regions, but those on rotation are not decided their place by the rest of the GA. My proposition would be far better than the current one. Just a thought.

I somewhat agree however this does present the problem that different members would be elected by different sizes of electorate. Would this be an issue or would you ensure that the seats are the same size? On top of that, this system reduces the ability for nations to endorse each other, which could be a disadvantage.
jamescfm

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:02 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Liu Che/Zhuli wrote:So I am proposing a way to reform Security Council Elections. Instead of making the representative for each seat elected by all of Terra, I think it would be far better and far more realistic, in terms of how the non-permanent members of the UNSC are determined, to only count the votes of the nations in a given region/continent toward the representative for an SC seat. For example, only the Seleyan nations would have a say as to who the representative for Seleya would be. The current non-permanent members of the UNSC all rotate and represent specific regions, but those on rotation are not decided their place by the rest of the GA. My proposition would be far better than the current one. Just a thought.

I somewhat agree however this does present the problem that different members would be elected by different sizes of electorate. Would this be an issue or would you ensure that the seats are the same size? On top of that, this system reduces the ability for nations to endorse each other, which could be a disadvantage.

I think the last seat could be given to Dovani, with Keris and Macon sharing one. Not sure why Dovani was grouped with those two continents given its size.

Quite frankly, I think that is tough luck on the part of the nations. Endorsements of each other aren't really a disadvantage. I think it is more disadvantageous to make the SC a crony group for alliances, instead of taking regional security as a whole into account. I mean, the current makeup is quite ridiculous. All Europeanesque/White nations.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby jamescfm » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:31 pm

Liu Che/Zhuli wrote: All Europeanesque/White nations.

I mean, that's the nations that people voted for. Even so Kalistan isn't 'white' and Baltusia is ambiguous, meaning it's less 'white' than the UN permanent members.
jamescfm

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:32 pm

Baltusia wants to be America and Kalistan is like California with some ethnic minorities, but overwhelmingly white. But yes, you are correct. They are who the nations chose.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Aquinas » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:35 pm

Liu Che/Zhuli wrote:I mean, the current makeup is quite ridiculous. All Europeanesque/White nations.

FWIW, I think you would start to see more non-European/non-white nations doing well in Security Council elections if the players in those nations started really actively/effectively campaigning. Bear in mind, BTW, that Hawu Mumenhes (African) has been on the Security Council before, and so has Talmoria (Culturally Open, but being RP'ed as African at the time).

Right now, Hawu, Trigunia and Indrala all have a degree of support, and it would not surprise me if all or some of those win seats in the months ahead.

Basically, what I'm saying is that unless I'm seriously missing something, I don't think there's any kind of conspiracy against non-European/non-white nations going on :).
Aquinas

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:38 pm

It isn't about a conspiracy against, it is more about representation. Look at the UNSC non-permanent members. You have representatives from the Africa Group, Latin America Group, Asia-Pacific Group, Western Europe and Oceania Group, and Eastern Europe Group. While the representatives aren't elected, they rotate among the members. You can still have elections in my proposed change, but only the Dovanian nations' votes count for the Dovani representative.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Zanz » Mon May 01, 2017 4:41 pm

Liu, couldn't you make this an issue ICly? Why not change the Security Council through roleplay?
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Auditorii » Mon May 01, 2017 6:32 pm

Zanz wrote:Liu, couldn't you make this an issue ICly? Why not change the Security Council through roleplay?

QFE and truthfully, we need a way to remove inactive members or members who ICly or OOCly overpromise.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Auditorii » Mon May 08, 2017 4:50 am

Group A (Artanian Region - 13)
Aloria
Dorvik
Kirlawa
Rutania
Narikaton
Beluzia
Malivia
Hobrazia
Luthori
Kundrati
Endralon
Dundorf
Hawu Mumenhes

Group B (Majatran Region - 16)
Beiteynu
Pontesi
Selucia
Cildania
al-Badara
Kafuristan
Istalia
Solentia
Kalopia-Wantuni
Jakania
Deltaria
Barmenia
Vanuku
Jelbania
Zardugal
Cobrua

Group C (Makon, Keris and Eastern Dovani Regions - 14)
Davostan/Davostag
Hutori
Telamon
Trigunia
Dolgaria
Kizenia
Egelion
Dranland
Kazulia
Hulstria & Gao-Soto
Sekowo
Lourenne
Vorona
Indrala

Group D (Seleyan Region -14)
Keymon
Likatonia
Lodamun
Valruzia
Baltusia
Kalistan
Tukarali
Gaduridos
Aldegar
Saridan
Mordusia
Alduria
Kanjor
Rildanor

How about that for regions?
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

PreviousNext

Return to General