Referendums

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Referendums

Postby Cirith » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:04 pm

I am intrigued if their is any official way to generate a result for a referendum? I imagine, the best way would be to ask the RP Team, if a signatory to the RP Accords, to replicate the referendum result, and maybe even create a law which says whether national/regional/local referenda are allowed at all.

A feature to call a referendum would be awesome, of course I am aware development has ceased, so any alternatives since Luthori players are split?
White Rose of the Holy Luthori Empire

Player since 2700!

Parti Conservateur Royaliste in the Kingdom of Lourenne until 3000
Parti Conservateur Royaliste of the Royaume de Kanjor until 4400
Cirith

Re: Referendums

Postby Maxington » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:00 am

The Only plausible option to implementing a referendum is through a vote using the seats of the political parties. There is no system currently in game which can be used to accommodate for referendums (and before you go asking for the implementation of said system, note that development of this version of particracy has ceased). So I would suggest you craft a bill,with an umbrella question: For example, should Luthori rejoin the Artanian Union, Yes [Rejoin] vs No [Remain Out], so the referendum result would be dependent on how many players and their respective seats support either option. I hope this helped, if you want any more clarification please let me know.
"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Postby Reddy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:21 am

Hi Cirith,

There's no official way to call a referendum. Most however do use some form of the method proposed by Maxington. A popular one is to have each party declare what proportion of its supporters are in favour of a particular position and then the previous election results are used to calculate the result.

So for instance a referendum in a nation with two parties, Liberals and Conservatives on monarchy could go this way.

Lets say Liberals got 55% of the vote at the previous elections. 82% of Liberals oppose monarchy while 18% are in favour
Cons got 45%. 93% are in favour and 7% against.

The calculation for the pro-vote + (0.18 x 55) + (0.93 x 45) = roughly 52%
The against vote = (0.82 x 55) + (0.07 x 45) = just under 48%

Alternatively an outsider or any player within could be chosen to just determine the result. It would be advisable though to have a rational method of determining the result.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby Aquinas » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:54 am

Cirith wrote:I am intrigued if their is any official way to generate a result for a referendum? I imagine, the best way would be to ask the RP Team, if a signatory to the RP Accords, to replicate the referendum result, and maybe even create a law which says whether national/regional/local referenda are allowed at all.

A feature to call a referendum would be awesome, of course I am aware development has ceased, so any alternatives since Luthori players are split?

Yes, there is an official procedure available to use a RP event bill to prevent a referendum RP from breaking down due to a player withdrawing their consent. To quote from the Game Rules:

23. Role-play events.

The default rule is that role-play events can only be done with the consent of all of the players in the nation or nations concerned, and that if one of the players withdraws consent for the role-play, then the role-play becomes void. However, there are procedures available to overcome the risk of a role-play being brought down like this. These procedures cannot compel players to actively participate in a role-play, but they do oblige them not to stand in the way of them and to recognise their legitimacy under the rules. The procedures are:

23.1 Role-play events between nations, such as wars, will be officially recognised if before they are commenced, in all of the concerned nations a RP event bill outlining the event is approved by a 2/3rds majority of all players with seats (not just those with seats who vote) and over 50% of the seats in the legislature. This bill must specify the necessary and possible consequences of the role-play event, as well as a clause that deals with the eventuality of one or more players becoming absent for more than a specified time, and how such an absence is to be interpreted in in-game terms.

An inactive nation, meaning a nation with no players with seats, clearly cannot give consent to role-play, which means players outside the nation should not attempt to role-play with it in in any major or controversial way.

23.1.1 Role-play events within a nation, such as a financial crash or a civil war, will be officially recognised if before they are commenced, a RP event bill outlining the event is approved by a 2/3rds majority of all players with seats (not just those with seats who vote) and over 50% of the seats in the legislature. This bill must specify the necessary and possible consequences of the role-play event, as well as a clause that deals with the eventuality of one or more players becoming absent for more than a specified time, and how such an absence is to be understood in in-game terms.

23.2 It is permitted to use a RP event bill to institute a referendum. The RP event bill should specify:

- the result of the referendum or a full description of how the result will be determined. The bill could arrange for the result to be simulated by applying a simple formula to the outcome of an upcoming election. For example, the RP event bill might list what percentage of voters for each party will vote "Yes" and "No". Alternatively, as an example, the bill might delegate authority for determining the result to a designated player.

- the RP event bill should specify the in-game date at which the referendum will be held. For example, it might be held simultaneously with the election, or it might be held a year after the election.

- whether the bill is recommendative (ie. the legislature and/or government considers the referendum result and then takes a decison on what to do next) or enactive (ie. the referendum could potentially immediately enact a piece of legislation).

However, bear in mind that it is not possible for RP laws to over-ride game mechanic laws, so no referendum RP will be legal under the rules if it conflicts with this principle.

23.3 A RP event bill will be considered void if it contravenes the rules or would not be reasonably easy for an inexperienced player to understand.
Aquinas

Postby Cirith » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks guys, 3 things have changed since I started playing in 2010; the World Congress/Security Council was introduced, the RP Team was introduced and Mods changed, I knew development had ceased but I did not know if the RP team would undertake this for us if asked.

I will go to the Players in Luthori and see how we proceed
White Rose of the Holy Luthori Empire

Player since 2700!

Parti Conservateur Royaliste in the Kingdom of Lourenne until 3000
Parti Conservateur Royaliste of the Royaume de Kanjor until 4400
Cirith

Postby Cirith » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:46 pm

Thank you all, and especially Reddy for the formula to use.

Every player voted for the referendum, and therefore 400/400 seats authorised it.

I asked them all to state the parties proportions of support for the 2 options and they all have (http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=526555) I hope they all support the outcome, of course I also hope this is enforcable if they do not but understand it may not be as the original referendum bill was produced before Aquinas' advise :( (http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=525962)

This was the outcome based on the last election;

Patriots Party: 22.03%
Yes [Rejoin]-51% (0.51*22.03)=11.24%
No [Remain out]-49% (0.49*22.03)=10.79%

Labour Party: 21.46%
Yes(Rejoin)-75% (0.75 * 21.46)=16.1%
No(Remain Out)-25% (0.25 * 21.46)=5.36%

Luthori Anarchist Federation: 20.03%
Yes (Rejoin) - 40% (0.40 * 20.03)=8.01%
No (Remain Out) - 60% (0.60 * 20.03)=12.02%

The Party for Freedom and Liberty: 15.19%
Yes (Join): 17% (0.17 * 15.19)=2.58%