Game Rules Consultation

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Game Rules Consultation

Postby jamescfm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Moderation is considering making a change to Section 18.3 of the Game Rules, which relates to the appointment and removal of Nationmasters. At present, this section is worded clumsily and isn't very clear. We would like to hear feedback on the proposed change before we push ahead with it. Therefore, the section as it is now:

18.3 The process concerning the appointment and removal of Nationmasters is as follows:

18.3.1 There is no requirement for the nominee to be a player in the nation. The nominee may be a player in another nation. It is also possible for a Nationmaster to serve as Nationmaster in more than 1 nation. However, no nation may have more than 1 Nationmaster.

18.3.2 In order to nominate a candidate, the nominee must be nominated in a bill passed by a 2/3rds majority of all players with seats (not just those with seats who vote), and at least 4 players with seats must support the motion, at least one of whom must have been currently continuously active in the nation (ie. no inactivations) for at least 1 month. Additionally, the nominee must agree to be willing to serve as Nationmaster.

18.3.3 The nomination bill must then be presented to Moderation for approval on the Nationmasters thread. Moderation reserves the discretion to decline the nomination if the nominee is judged to be unsuitable. However, if the nomination is accepted, then the nominee's details will be added to the Register of Global Role-Players & Nationmasters.

18.3.4 Nationmasters may resign from their positions by simply informing Moderation.

18.3.5 The players in a nation may remove a Nationmaster through passing an appropriate motion with a simple majority of players with seats (ie. more players with seats vote for it than against it). Moderation should then be informed, so the records can be updated.

18.3.6 Moderation reserves the discretion to remove Nationmasters from their position if they are judged to be unsuitable or their relationship with players appears to have irretrievably broken down. Nationmasters will also be removed if it is noticed they have been absent from the nation's gameplay for more than 3 months or if 3 months have passed without the nation having a minimum of 4 parties with seats.

The proposed change would see this section written as below:

18.3 The process concerning the nomination and appointment of a Nationmaster is as follows:

18.3.1 The candidate must be willing to serve as Nationmaster. They do not necessarily need to be a player in the nation and it is possible for a single player to be Nationmaster in more than one nation. Each nation must not have more than one Nationmaster, however.

18.3.2 The candidate must be nominated in a bill which receives the support of at least two-thirds of players with seats (not just those with seats who vote). Specifically, this does not necessarily mean a two-thirds majority of legislature seats but a two-thirds majority of players holding seats. Additionally, four players with seats must support it, at least one of whom must have been currently continuously active in the nation (i.e. no inactivations) for at least one month.

18.3.3 The bill must then be presented to Moderation for approval on the Nationmaster Nominations thread. Moderation will then make a decision about whether the nominee is suitable for the role. If the nomination is accepted, then the nominee's details will be added to the Register of Global Role-Players & Nationmasters. Moderation reserves the discretion to decline the nomination.

18.4 The process concerning the removal of a Nationmaster is as follows:

18.4.1 Nationmasters may resign from their positions by simply informing Moderation.

18.4.2 A Nationmaster may be removed if the players in a nation pass a bill, with a simple majority of players with seats (ie. more players with seats vote for it than against it), requesting their removal. Once this has been done, Moderation should be informed so that records can be updated.

18.4.3 Moderation reserves the discretion to remove Nationmasters from their position if they are judged to be unsuitable for the role or their relationship with players appears to have irretrievably broken down.

18.4.4 Nationmasters will be removed if it is noticed they have been absent from the nation's gameplay for more than 3 months or if 3 months have passed without the nation having a minimum of 4 parties with seats.
jamescfm

Re: Game Rules Consultation

Postby FPC » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:36 pm

I like the change it makes it all a lot clearer and easier to read....

However whilst we are on the topic I am not sure rule 18.4.4 is wholey constructive. I don't see why nationmasters should be removed if only 3 or less players have seats for 3 months.. I don't think it means that the nation does not require a nationamaster. Also what if the nationmaster is removed after 3 months and then new players arrive wanting a nationmaster? Would that not just be extra work? I know I may seem slightly biased, and like im trying to protect my role, but I personally don't really see the point in that rule and I feel it would be punishing nationmasters for something that isn't their fault, after they can't control who plays where? Just my opinion, I'd love to hear what some other people think.
Used to be relevant
FPC

Postby jamescfm » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:41 pm

FPC wrote:However whilst we are on the topic I am not sure rule 18.4.4 is wholey constructive. I don't see why nationmasters should be removed if only 3 or less players have seats for 3 months.. I don't think it means that the nation does not require a nationamaster. Also what if the nationmaster is removed after 3 months and then new players arrive wanting a nationmaster? Would that not just be extra work? I know I may seem slightly biased, and like im trying to protect my role, but I personally don't really see the point in that rule and I feel it would be punishing nationmasters for something that isn't their fault, after they can't control who plays where? Just my opinion, I'd love to hear what some other people think.

As I understand it, the reason for that section relates to the necessity of a nationmaster and the basic function they provide. Ultimately, a nationmaster's role is to improve role-play in a nation and to increase the quality of the player experience. Based on these functions, they are extended powers which are designed to achieve that. For example, they can request inactivation after two days because it ensures that only active players can remain in the popular nations. However, when you have fewer than four players, most of the challenges that come alongside a nation being popular (a clogged debate section, frequent changes in the number of players etc.) disappear hence, why four players are needed to appoint a nationmaster in the first place.

I understand where you're coming from but in the end, a nationmaster which has had 2/3 players for three months doesn't really need a player to ensure things are in order because such a small number of players can organise themselves pretty effectively. At least, that's the reasoning behind that rule.
jamescfm

Postby Mbites » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:57 am

Called it.
"It looked like a silly semi-cliquey thing between a few players to me. Following around a troll called Mbites like he was some sort of god... which wouldn't have mattered so much in the scale of things, except one of them was a Mod."
Mbites

Postby FPC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:46 pm

OK fair enough, I get where you are coming from.. I suppose it makes sense
Used to be relevant
FPC

Postby jamescfm » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:26 am

Any further comments? I appreciate this isn't a particularly meaningful change so it's unlikely to provoke much interest.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:30 pm

The change has been implemented.
jamescfm

Return to General