GAME RULES REDRAFT CONSULTATION

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: GAME RULES REDRAFT CONSULTATION

Postby stuntmonkey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Just a couple of points, FPC:

Firstly, I notice in the RP Section regarding creating laws you have stated that in order to pass an RP Law you need to pass it through your nation's legislature with a 2/3 majority. Is this the case with all RP laws going forward? I always believed that normal RP laws only required a majority and that only constitutional RP laws required a 2/3rds majority. Maybe it is me missing something but could your clarify.

Secondly, for what it is worth I agree with Jamescfm on the Cultural Protocol revamp. I think it would take some work to achieve but would be worth it mid to long-term to create a coherent cultural map. I actually don't think it would be as difficult to implement as is suggested (famous last words). I base that on James' recent activity in jumping from one nation to another implementing CPs with, in most instances, full approval from players when presented with his bills.

It would seem to me that it is not so much a resistance to change we need to overcome but indifference.
“I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”

― AES II

Current party - Haruzuterēchisuku Refonpātī
stuntmonkey

Postby soysauce » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Liu Che/Zhuli wrote:The restoration of colonies, although this rule makes it limited, needs to be more explicit. Personally, as a player who helped lead the charge against colonies in the past, I am against the rule. However, if the rule remains, I suggest establishing time limits and the ability of the RP team to take over at certain times. In the age of nationalism, no empire can last forever. Rebellions eventually occur and the invader is eventually kicked out.

Tbh I never quite understood the issue with colonies? To me they seemed like a decent way of encouraging some international roleplay, something that barely ever happens.

As I recall (apologies if I am mistaken) the colonies were never officially eliminated, they were instead acquired by Indrala and simply ignored. Is that not the case?
soysauce

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:03 pm

Indrala and the last of the colonizing countries agreed to release the colonies and granted them all independence. Moderation then set about ensuring that they couldn't be colonized again (if I remember correctly).
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby soysauce » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:04 pm

Liu Che/Zhuli wrote:Indrala and the last of the colonizing countries agreed to release the colonies and granted them all independence. Moderation then set about ensuring that they couldn't be colonized again (if I remember correctly).

Ahh, ok, Was a long time ago...

International RP is pretty lacking, Colonies would be fun things to fight over?
soysauce

Postby jamescfm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:24 pm

International role-play is pretty lacking primarily because it's difficult. It's hard to form coherent, long-term foreign policy objectives when you could be out of office within a few hours. Numerous players are able to manipulate the levers of power shall we say to ensure they are still able to maintain international role-play when they aren't in power but that's a challenge itself. Honestly, I don't think enabling countries to control other countries is going to help that, if anything it will make it worse when the inevitable "free all the colonies" party comes to power.
jamescfm

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Except no one would want to fight over them, which is what actually happened. RPs fell apart when colonies were involved. Usually it involved a bunch of players raiding another nation to ensure that the nation they normally play in would get the colonies.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Kubrick » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:51 pm

Fully agree with Liu, that's exactly what happened. Nation had a colony? Well.. we have a ton of colonies too but we want MORE! So they'd wait until that other nation became inactive or a one-party-state and then just raid it and make a shitty "forever binding" treaty.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby CCP » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:14 pm

FPC are you against pasting your current draft into this thread or somewhere else on the forum? Adding comments to the Google Docs draft is actually a little tricky depending on the device being used. Also players who don't click through to the Google Docs draft might be discouraged from participating here.

I agree with Liu Che and Kubrick about the colonies. The current arrangement seems to be creating a lot more activity with them. What motivated the consideration to re-open them for colonization?

About character transfers and claims, I think the Character Application portion is unnecessary.

Rule 5h wrote:A character is always owned by the player who originally created them, unless publically transferred to another player via the Official Character Transfers thread.
A character, house or bloodline that has been unused for one hundred in-game years will be considered inactive, and players who wish to take control of them may apply to do so on the Inactive character application thread, application should include a brief plan for the character (s) aswell as details of former controller etc.

The IML's internal rule always seemed to me to work well for character claims:

3. If you wish to restore a house without the transfer that the Moderation team requires, then:
----- 3.1. Inquire in the IML as to who might be the previous owner and seek transfer;
----- 3.2. Change/add/remove a letter in the old house name and carry on as usual;
----- 3.3. Proceed to create a new royal house, in compliance with rule #1

As far as I've understood it, 3.2 has avoided OOC conflict between players because the Restoring player could always claim their characters are sufficiently different from the original player's version. 3.2 also forces players to resolve disputes In-Characterly instead of OOC, with the competing claimants working to buttress their claims via RP. There are several current 3.2 examples in the game right now and they seem to be working out well from what I can see. Adopting 3.2 will create less potential player conflict than inserting Moderators into character disputes.
Global Roleplay Committee Chair(until March 2019)
Ity ꜣḥwt xꜣdt, Hawu Mumenhes
Movement for Radical Libertarianism, Talmoria
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
Sizwe Esintsundu Amandla Inhlangano, Ibutho
Christian Communalist Party, Rildanor
CCP

Postby FPC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:21 pm

FPC are you against pasting your current draft into this thread or somewhere else on the forum? Adding comments to the Google Docs draft is actually a little tricky depending on the device being used. Also players who don't click through to the Google Docs draft might be discouraged from participating here.

The only reason I'm keeping it on a google doc is because its inredibly hard to format on the forums.. Ill post it here as soon as possible.
Used to be relevant
FPC

Postby FPC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Update Log (17th January)

Colonisation removed completely

Nationmasters removed completely (I would like to hear more feedback on this one)

RP accord rules changed dramatically (again lots of feedback would be appreciated)

Added rule 5hii based on the suggestion of CCP and the IML.

2/3 majority required in order to pass an RP law scrapped

Spelling and grammar changes aswell as a few other modifications here and there.

Here is the link once again for ease of access: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vo1 ... sp=sharing
Used to be relevant
FPC

PreviousNext

Return to General