PARTICRACY CULTURE REFORMS CONSULTATION

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: PARTICRACY CULTURE MAP CONSULTATION

Postby Govenor12 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:37 pm

The majority of the Solentian player already has expressed its disagreement with the proposed changes to Solentia.
And why should Selucia and Solentia share partly the same culture, being thousands of miles away? Why should Solentia have so many people in its country (Kalopian) they have been in conflict time after time again?
Additionally, assuming there is so many contact between the cultures this would have led to the formation of a new languange (like Afrikaans): Solentian (Greek-Italian) and furthermore people tend also to losse contact and a sense of beloginess to their cultures of their parents and that's why is is only natural that many ideintifie with Solentia (Solentians) and not with some other countries.
Govenor12

Postby jamescfm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:12 pm

EdmundS wrote:I do feel that an Anglo-Saxon minority fits into Deltaria, given the presence of Anglo-Saxons in continental Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_(medieval)#Historicity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian ... gian_Guard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gytha_of_Wessex

Nothing personal but I disagree with this. Deltaria already has half a dozen distinct ethnic groups crammed in their, Anglo-Saxons should be slotted in somewhere else.

Govenor12 wrote:The majority of the Solentian player already has expressed its disagreement with the proposed changes to Solentia.
And why should Selucia and Solentia share partly the same culture, being thousands of miles away? Why should Solentia have so many people in its country (Kalopian) they have been in conflict time after time again?
Additionally, assuming there is so many contact between the cultures this would have led to the formation of a new languange (like Afrikaans): Solentian (Greek-Italian) and furthermore people tend also to losse contact and a sense of beloginess to their cultures of their parents and that's why is is only natural that many ideintifie with Solentia (Solentians) and not with some other countries.

Solentia is a real tricky one I think, I can’t see what else should be in there if not Italians, Arabs and Greeks?
jamescfm

Postby Polites » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:21 pm

@Edmund: I don't dispute the importance of Anglo-Saxons in continental European history, but I am still not convinced they'd fit in Deltaria as anything significant. As James pointed out that place is very crammed already. But if you insist, I think they could be counted as one of the small minorities within the 10% "Other".

@Governor: If you have any other suggestion for Solentia, please let us know. This is indeed a little tricky and it's hard to find something that fits in, except maybe obscure and inaccessible languages like Griko or Cypriot Arabic. I do like your idea of a Greek-Italian language for Solentia, so maybe Griko could be a fit after all?
Polites

Postby SlavaD » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:35 pm

I don't really see the purpose in binding Davostan to a cultural index that I disagree with.

I have offered my thoughts several times in this thread already. Despite consistent responses that players in Davostan will be consulted, you've just continued to push with your ideas and accept those of others (like the Anglo-Saxon bit) who seem to have their own vested interest in imposing this sort of culture so that they can play in it. Now it seems you've settled on Welsh and Finnish just because "Tolkien." It will be left to you to square a culture and language based on the Elves with theistic satanism.

Fantasy does not have to come from Tolkien. There has been over half a century of very diverse writing on fantasy that does a better job of fitting into the world that Particracy is in (the 21st century) while protecting Davostan's interesting bend.

I also think the point raised by CCP is a valid one. If you're simply consulting everyone anyway, what does the new Cultural Index offer that the present system does not? Would it not be better to work with players to permanently lock in existing cultures and create new ones for culturally open nations, and gently trying to iron out the more ridiculous neighboring linguistic and ethnic combinations to achieve some sense of consistency?
SlavaD

Postby Polites » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:00 pm

@SlavaD: Sent you a message about Davostan.

SlavaD wrote:I also think the point raised by CCP is a valid one. If you're simply consulting everyone anyway, what does the new Cultural Index offer that the present system does not? Would it not be better to work with players to permanently lock in existing cultures and create new ones for culturally open nations, and gently trying to iron out the more ridiculous neighboring linguistic and ethnic combinations to achieve some sense of consistency?

That's actually more or less what we are trying to achieve :D

Except for the permanent locking in part, don't think it's a good long-term strategy to set everything in stone.
Polites

Postby EdmundS » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:07 pm

SlavaD wrote:and accept those of others (like the Anglo-Saxon bit) who seem to have their own vested interest in imposing this sort of culture so that they can play in it

I'm not a fan of the proposed solution for Davostan either.
EdmundS

Postby Polites » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:11 pm

EdmundS wrote:
SlavaD wrote:and accept those of others (like the Anglo-Saxon bit) who seem to have their own vested interest in imposing this sort of culture so that they can play in it

I'm not a fan of the proposed solution for Davostan either.

Me neither :)

That's why it's pink.
Polites

Postby Elf » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:37 pm

For me - Anglo-Saxon and Welsh could do well with providing a fantasy context, without the Finish part... unless we want Quenya and Sindarin in the game of course... :D

Fantasy influences and Satanism has a longer history in Davostan/Davostag than kinda any of us has been playing the game. Yes - some new players who've insisted to turn it into some kind of generic anglophone republic (because 'crush evil satanism lol') have come and gone - but that nature of the country has always remained. The only ones who provided any long-lasting interesting RP where the House of Thor and the Davistag-Barmenian debt wars, back in 2012. Thus.. I guess a Nordic minority is kinda warranted.

I think the culture could be expanded from just Satanilism though... there are a lot of other occult/esoteric movements and religions that could be of interest...
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing
Elf

Postby jamescfm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Elf wrote:Nordic minority is kinda warranted.

Nordic minority also fits with my proposed history of the Altfolk (Scandinavian) people.

SlavaD wrote:I have offered my thoughts several times in this thread already. Despite consistent responses that players in Davostan will be consulted, you've just continued to push with your ideas and accept those of others (like the Anglo-Saxon bit) who seem to have their own vested interest in imposing this sort of culture so that they can play in it. Now it seems you've settled on Welsh and Finnish just because "Tolkien." It will be left to you to square a culture and language based on the Elves with theistic satanism.

You've only really offered your opposition to the current proposal, it might be helpful to offer a counter-proposal of some form.
jamescfm

Postby Polites » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:49 pm

@James: We're dealing with this and we've opened a conversation with the players in Davostan, no need to add further criticism here.
@Elf: We haven't worked out religions yet, but I guess it makes sense to have a bunch of other "occult" religions as well.
Polites

PreviousNext

Return to General