Debate time before submitting a bill to vote

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Debate time before submitting a bill to vote

Postby darkGreenParty » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:38 am

Greetings, I have a question: what is the appropriated time for discussion of a bill before submitting it to vote? I put 24 hours (in RL time) for the bills I created, however I feel this may be too short. Should I change the time to 48 hours or another value?

P.s.: apologizes if this was asked before, I did not found an answer in the tutorial. Thanks in advance
-Francisco Salazar de Oliveira Garcia, Chairman of the Dark Green Party of Tukarali
Dark Green Party (Tukarali)
darkGreenParty

Re: Debate time before submitting a bill to vote

Postby Wu Han » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:43 am

Hi!

There is no rule regarding this. Some people, like myself, rarely leave bills in the debate stages, while others might leave them for 3 days. It's completely up to you!
(he/him)
Current: Cildania
Former: Listed Here
Wu Han

Postby darkGreenParty » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:18 am

Hello, thanks for your answer!

I'll wait 24h then and see how the other parties respond (or not) to it

Best regards!
-Francisco Salazar de Oliveira Garcia, Chairman of the Dark Green Party of Tukarali
darkGreenParty

Postby Polites » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:03 am

This depends on the play styles of the others in the nation. If it's common to have lengthy debates on bills, then moving them to vote immediately may strike some as a little rude, so it's safer (though not required by rules) to leave the bill for a couple of days. But if it's common to send bills to vote with little debate, then no need to worry about this, and this way you also avoid cluttering the debate section with bills. It's really up to you at the end of the day, there's no hard and fast rule.
Polites

Postby Occam » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:56 pm

There are tactical considerations, too. If you're going to put the bill to a vote no matter what (e.g because you don't need other party's votes, or because you want to define your parties positions) there's really not much point in waiting. If you are looking for cooperation with other parties it may be better to hammer out compromises before moving to a vote (especially if there are many articles in the bill, so you can drop or change some of the articles). Another thing to look for is how far away the next elections are. If you need to define your positions or gain visibility you should make sure to move to the vote in time to make sure the voting period is over before the elections.

Regards
Occam
Permanently gone.
Occam

Postby darkGreenParty » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:48 pm

It seems that in my country discussions are unusual, and previous bills were all submitted in the same ingame month they were created.

So I'll not wait so much before submitting the bills to vote

Many thanks for your answers!
darkGreenParty

Return to General