Situation regarding the disqualification of King Julien XIII

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Situation regarding the disqualification of King Julien XIII

Postby Aquinas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:59 pm

Apparently a theory has been suggested that I was responsible for the decision to disqualify King Julien XIII from the World Congress General Assembly President election, thus interrupting the voting procedure and causing Kyle Mizzi to be declared the winner.

This is not true. The decision was not taken by me. Nor was I consulted on it. And nor was there any particular reason why I should have been.

ICly, Noumonde, the 3rd world nation I RP, objected to King Julien XIII's candidature. This was a fairly predictable and logical move, given that King Julien XIII was claiming to be the real King of Noumonde, a position which is officially held by King Norbert. The disqualification was announced only 20 minutes after I wrote that post. However, at least so far as I am aware, there was no connection between my post and the announcement.

For the record, I generally enjoy Edward's humour and enjoyed his comical lemur RP, although I did feel it was an issue that the name of his character, King Julien XIII, was a prominent real-life fictional reference from the Madagascar movie. The combination of the name and the use of images of the King Julien XIII from the movie was arguably a breach of the rules, and I did raise this. I suggested to Edward that he change the name, but this did not happen. Nevertheless, given Moderation raised no objections, I was content to overlook that issue and go along with the lemur thing RP-wise.

Arguably there were grounds to consider excluding King Julien XIII from the election, both due to real-life references issue, and the argument that the character was not sufficiently plausible/serious to be eligible for a position with so much obvious RP significance. My personal objection is not so much to the decision to disqualify him, but the decision to first allow him into the contest and then to disqualify him whilst the voting process was actually underway. This is puzzling, and I hope GRC/Moderation will put out a statement of explanation about this.

I am told the World Congress has extradited King Julien XIII to Noumonde. To be clear, from my point of view, this is plausible as an outcome, although to be fair to Edward, it would not necessarily be the only plausible outcome. We could consider alternatives, such as that he evades arrest and escapes the Whale Island, or even that Noumonde's assumption he was at the Whale Island was wrong and that he is actually at an entirely different location altogether. Basically, within reason, I am more than happy to go along with whatever Edward's preferences are on this.

Lastly, could I request that we translate King Julien XIII disqualification into RP terms? In other words, I think it would make more sense if some named official/body/committee/whatever within the World Congress announces ICly that King Julien XIII has been disqualified, and offers some kind of in-game explanation for why this was done.
Aquinas

Re: Situation regarding the disqualification of King Julien XIII

Postby lewiselder1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:19 pm

Aquinas wrote:Apparently a theory has been suggested that I was responsible for the decision to disqualify King Julien XIII from the World Congress General Assembly President election, thus interrupting the voting procedure and causing Kyle Mizzi to be declared the winner.

This is not true. The decision was not taken by me. Nor was I consulted on it. And nor was there any particular reason why I should have been.

Yep, obviously Aquinas didn't have a role to play here. The decision is entirely that of the WCRC, in this case Pragma.

Aquinas wrote:Arguably there were grounds to consider excluding King Julien XIII from the election, both due to real-life references issue, and the argument that the character was not sufficiently plausible/serious to be eligible for a position with so much obvious RP significance. My personal objection is not so much to the decision to disqualify him, but the decision to first allow him into the contest and then to disqualify him whilst the voting process was actually underway. This is puzzling, and I hope GRC/Moderation will put out a statement of explanation about this.

There was a great deal of discussion about this last night in the discord, not long after you posted this haha. Pragma made the decision as WCRC after taking over from CCP just after the election had begun. While CCP was willing to let the lemur run, Pragma was vehemently opposed to this and so disqualified Julien. Pragma really had two bad options -- disqualifying after voting started, or having to deal with potential disruption for the rest of the month... While it would have been ideal to have given Pragma the position before or after the election it didn't turn out that way for a number of reasons outside of our control. Hopefully, though, we'll avoid this kind of thing in future.

Aquinas wrote:Lastly, could I request that we translate King Julien XIII disqualification into RP terms? In other words, I think it would make more sense if some named official/body/committee/whatever within the World Congress announces ICly that King Julien XIII has been disqualified, and offers some kind of in-game explanation for why this was done.

Sounds like a good idea to me!
I go by Ashley now and use she/her pronouns. This is a really old account, I don’t play now.

I was a mod in classic for a bit, then I helped make Marcapada and WM there for a while. As of 2020 I’m co-ordinating Pachapay’s development.
lewiselder1

Postby Occam » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Aquinas wrote:The combination of the name and the use of images of the King Julien XIII from the movie was arguably a breach of the rules, and I did raise this. I suggested to Edward that he change the name, but this did not happen. Nevertheless, given Moderation raised no objections, I was content to overlook that issue and go along with the lemur thing RP-wise.

[...]

My personal objection is not so much to the decision to disqualify him, but the decision to first allow him into the contest and then to disqualify him whilst the voting process was actually underway.

I second this! This situation is - forgive my canrillaise - a complete and utter clusterfuck.

Additionally, could we please have an explanation on what basis pragma made his decision and who or what gave him the authority to make such a decision. If it was based on the rule breach mentioned by Aquinas, then I see no way pragma had the authority do this, since it would be a Moderation issue. If it wasn't based on that, I have no earthly idea what it was based on.

Regards
Occam
Permanently gone.
Occam

Postby HBulow » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:05 pm

Occam wrote:
Aquinas wrote:The combination of the name and the use of images of the King Julien XIII from the movie was arguably a breach of the rules, and I did raise this. I suggested to Edward that he change the name, but this did not happen. Nevertheless, given Moderation raised no objections, I was content to overlook that issue and go along with the lemur thing RP-wise.

[...]

My personal objection is not so much to the decision to disqualify him, but the decision to first allow him into the contest and then to disqualify him whilst the voting process was actually underway.

I second this! This situation is - forgive my canrillaise - a complete and utter clusterfuck.

Additionally, could we please have an explanation on what basis pragma made his decision and who or what gave him the authority to make such a decision. If it was based on the rule breach mentioned by Aquinas, then I see no way pragma had the authority do this, since it would be a Moderation issue. If it wasn't based on that, I have no earthly idea what it was based on.

Regards
Occam

Hear, hear!

We also need a conversation about how this "WCRC" treated people who disagreed with her decision on Discord.
HBulow

Postby Aquinas » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:10 am

So I just realised I spent my first post calling Edmund "Edward". Apologies E̶d̶w̶a̶r̶d̶ Edmund. Must be losing it a bit these days...

Another quick point: whilst I understand the unhappiness over what went on here, I'm honestly doubtful lobbying either OOCly or ICly for an immediate re-run of the election is a great idea, and I'm concerned it is a bit unfair on IsleOfSalkuo/C-GCP, who is RPing the winner of the uncontested election, Kyle Mizzi. C-GCP, I just want you to know you're a good player (I know from my spell in Cildania) and I'm 100% OOCly behind you, as I'm sure are a number of others.

The next election is not that long to wait for, only 4 weeks or so. I'm hoping one of the good things to come out of this episode will be that the next election will have more candidates, be more competitive and attract more interest :) .
Aquinas

Postby HBulow » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:47 pm

Talking of the attitude of this "WCRC"...

Besides being ridiculous, this is insulting.
HBulow

Postby Pragma » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Alright, listen up.

I'm done with being slandered and having my character assassinated by Aquinas, Lewis, Occam and HBulow.

Aquinas, the reason the decision I made was made is because I disagreed with CCP on the matter, my predecessor. I decided that the new WCRC under me would change the rules so as to disclude joke candidates. I didn't close the voting, CCP did, and I'm very sorry to CCP I went against his wishes. I chose to disqualify him and I could do nothing to stop the vote by the time I was in office.

Lewis, I did not have "two bad options", and I did not make a bad choice - or even a negative one.

Occam, this is not a clusterfuck. I have the authority over elections to the GA and to the SC for the presidencies. I am in charge of the rules and processing the candidates. Do not suggest that I was acting against anyone's authority or stepping out of my place.

HBulow, what I posted on the discord was a joke. The discord is not IC, and it is not a place of any sort of formality really.

It's very interesting that Edmund himself no longer cares about this situation, but everyone else seems to. I made a decision about a body that nobody seems to have cared about up until this moment. How many of you all complaining have ever actually RPed with the WC much before this? Because a lemur didn't win the election all this drama has to happen?
Currently playing in: Cildania

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

Postby Edmund » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:47 pm

QV73 wrote:Edmund himself no longer cares about this situation

I do care.
Edmund

Postby Pragma » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Well it's a done deal now, I resign.
Currently playing in: Cildania

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

Postby HBulow » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:41 am

QV73 wrote:Alright, listen up.

I'm done with being slandered and having my character assassinated by Aquinas, Lewis, Occam and HBulow.

Aquinas, the reason the decision I made was made is because I disagreed with CCP on the matter, my predecessor. I decided that the new WCRC under me would change the rules so as to disclude joke candidates. I didn't close the voting, CCP did, and I'm very sorry to CCP I went against his wishes. I chose to disqualify him and I could do nothing to stop the vote by the time I was in office.

Lewis, I did not have "two bad options", and I did not make a bad choice - or even a negative one.

Occam, this is not a clusterfuck. I have the authority over elections to the GA and to the SC for the presidencies. I am in charge of the rules and processing the candidates. Do not suggest that I was acting against anyone's authority or stepping out of my place.

HBulow, what I posted on the discord was a joke. The discord is not IC, and it is not a place of any sort of formality really.

It's very interesting that Edmund himself no longer cares about this situation, but everyone else seems to. I made a decision about a body that nobody seems to have cared about up until this moment. How many of you all complaining have ever actually RPed with the WC much before this? Because a lemur didn't win the election all this drama has to happen?

HBulow

Next

Return to General