Lack of Technological Advancements

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Lack of Technological Advancements

Postby darkGreenParty » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Greetings

It seems that every nation in Particracy is supposed to have the current RL technological level at the present time. However, this seems to be the norm since many years ago, so the technological level of, let's say, for the year 3000 is the same for the current year (4458 when I wrote this); every nation has a mostly RPed history of events as wars, internal conflicts, political successions and political changes - while no technological advance! Laws regarding hi-tech subjects as alternative energy or nuclear weapons were the same for hundreds of years.

I understand that it's near impossible to properly RP an incremental technological advance, due to the dramatic effects it would have on the nations of the world. However, this technological stagnation is unrealistic.

So, what do you think is the best way to deal with this? Simply ignoring the existence of technological advancement when RPing (as we seems to do normally)? Ret-connecting the past so the year 3000 has medieval tech or something like that?
-Francisco Salazar de Oliveira Garcia, Chairman of the Dark Green Party of Tukarali
Dark Green Party (Tukarali)
darkGreenParty

Re: Lack of Technological Advancements

Postby Aquinas » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:52 pm

darkGreenParty wrote:Greetings

It seems that every nation in Particracy is supposed to have the current RL technological level at the present time. However, this seems to be the norm since many years ago, so the technological level of, let's say, for the year 3000 is the same for the current year (4458 when I wrote this); every nation has a mostly RPed history of events as wars, internal conflicts, political successions and political changes - while no technological advance! Laws regarding hi-tech subjects as alternative energy or nuclear weapons were the same for hundreds of years.

I understand that it's near impossible to properly RP an incremental technological advance, due to the dramatic effects it would have on the nations of the world. However, this technological stagnation is unrealistic.

So, what do you think is the best way to deal with this? Simply ignoring the existence of technological advancement when RPing (as we seems to do normally)? Ret-connecting the past so the year 3000 has medieval tech or something like that?

You have hit upon one of Particracy's Great Imponderables, I think :)...
Aquinas

Return to General