Cleaning/Administration

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Cleaning/Administration

Postby Aquinas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:59 pm

cm9777 wrote:Hey, I'm not quite sure where that has come from. I had a quick look and found ones from late 2011 and early 2012 (april). I can, however, promise to investigate any archiving that was done though it was probably a long time ago. Chances are if they were archived they could be restored.

By "before August 2012" I meant threads which have not been posted on before that date. There could be a few which were created before that date but which have been posted on since (this is most obviously the case with some of the pinned threads).
Aquinas

Postby cm9777 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:48 pm

-
Last edited by cm9777 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cm9777

Postby Aquinas » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:52 am

cm9777 wrote:Alright. I might speak to Wouter about creating an archive subforum for old topics. We could even have a librarian/historian if uh anyone’s up for that job. I recall there was some old project for the OOC history of the game so that could get going.

I'm not sure I even understand what you are saying here.

What is the point in moving these threads to an "archive"? Why is this necessary and what will this achieve?

Also, will this "archive" be in the visible/public part of the forum, or will only Wouter and the Moderators have access to it?
Aquinas

Postby cm9777 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:47 am

-
Last edited by cm9777 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cm9777

Postby Aquinas » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 am

cm9777 wrote:The archive will be publicly visible and a read only. This will achieve a clear distinction between active topics so general discussion will actually be discussions.

Personally I think this would be better than having all the old ones in Discussion stay and even for those not of the opinion, it won’t do any harm to do it ofc

As I say, it is genuinely difficult to see the value in doing this. It is very rare for people to "gravedig" ancient threads by posting something new on them, and if this ever occurred in circumstances which Moderation felt were inappropriate, you would always have the option of dealing with that by simply locking the thread or deleting the post.

The Moderator time it would take to perform all of this rather pointless "archiving" would arguably be better invested in other priorities, such as sorting out the numerous outdated/erroneous/misleading "Random Fact" running along the bottom of the gamescreen, organising the World Congress General Assembly President and Security Council President elections (which are 3 weeks overdue) or resolving the ongoing confusion over whether Endralon is current Culturally Protected or Culturally Open.
Aquinas

Postby LukasV » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:40 pm

@Moderation

It's easy enough to just create a read-only category and forum at the bottom of the page, which would contain any threads that, say, haven't been replied to in like two years or something. There's no need to worry about "gravedigging" or archiving history; if people want to record the game's history, they can certainly do so. I don't think that another position for someone to do a menial job like that (which would be ultimately pointless imo considering that the archived threads would range from inactive game discussions to moderation topics.

I think that we can probably leave the "Game Events" type stuff untouched in their own forums for people to find, but archiving old discussions into a read-only subforum that people can read but not reply to is standard enough. It saves from people getting all antsy and paranoid about sanitizing history.
Get All That You Deserve In This World

Free Speech Fundamentalist
Classical Liberal/Libertarian
A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

"You believe you have dominion
So you force your lame opinions on me
And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Postby Aquinas » Tue May 07, 2019 11:48 am

Is there any chance of reinstating the threads CM removed from public view and "archived"? I've been digging around for a few, but not been able to find them. For example,

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4411
Aquinas

Postby Aquinas » Mon May 13, 2019 12:46 pm

*bump*
Aquinas

Postby colonelvesica » Mon May 13, 2019 2:49 pm

Aquinas wrote:Is there any chance of reinstating the threads CM removed from public view and "archived"? I've been digging around for a few, but not been able to find them. For example,

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4411

I'll take a dig for you
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Aquinas » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:05 am

It would be helpful if previous discussion threads could be restored to the public section of the forum. Previous Moderators apparently saw them as "clutter" (!) but for reference and transparency purposes, there is a strong argument for making them available.

I would like to make a specific request for the consultation on the rules redraft of January 2018 to be reinstated, as I believe there is a possibility this may shed some light on the circumstances whereby the prohibition of plagiarism was excised from the Game Rules. The link to this discussion, according to this post, is here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7767
Aquinas

PreviousNext

Return to General