World Congress reform

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

World Congress reform

Postby Aquinas » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:35 pm

On another thread, Polites has suggested resetting the Security Council elections votes if (as seems likely) the permanent members of the Security Council are changed in response to the latest economic and military rankings update.

I feel this would be a good time to have a general discussion about how the World Congress is working and how (if at all) it might be operated differently.

For myself, I have previously suggested trying to make the World Congress fairer by eliminating the unelected permanent members and allowing Third World Nations to take part in Security Council elections. I have also suggested merging the positions of General Assembly President and Security Council President, and reviewing how that role should work.

There are a number of others here who may have their own thoughts and ideas (some with more general WC experience than myself, I might add), and I encourage them to chip in here.
Aquinas

Re: World Congress reform

Postby jamescfm » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:16 pm

Having Third World nations involved in elections would be detrimental for two reasons. It would be functionally problematic since Third World nations have no in-game variables to cast their votes and that would make life more difficult for whoever is counting the World Congress votes (which is the most boring and drawn out job ever). On top of that it would give players who control one or more Third World nations disproportionate influence in elections which is an issue when votes are as close as they have been in the past. Permanent members, if they are going to exist, should be permanent. If they are to be changed then it should be less frequent than every four months (when new rankings are published).
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:55 pm

jamescfm wrote:Having Third World nations involved in elections would be detrimental for two reasons. It would be functionally problematic since Third World nations have no in-game variables to cast their votes and that would make life more difficult for whoever is counting the World Congress votes (which is the most boring and drawn out job ever). On top of that it would give players who control one or more Third World nations disproportionate influence in elections which is an issue when votes are as close as they have been in the past. Permanent members, if they are going to exist, should be permanent. If they are to be changed then it should be less frequent than every four months (when new rankings are published).

Thank you for responding.

I do not think it should be too much of a chore for Third World Nations to cast their votes. We could simply have a procedure whereby Third World Nations can cast their votes on the World Congress & Security Council thread within the 48 hours leading up to election day, or something like that.

If it is felt that giving third world nation controllers votes in elections would give them too much influence, then an alternative to consider would be simply creating a new Security Council seat, with the third world nations as candidates. In-game nations (but not the third world nations themselves) could then cast the votes to determine who takes this seat.
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:35 am

Aquinas wrote:I do not think it should be too much of a chore for Third World Nations to cast their votes. We could simply have a procedure whereby Third World Nations can cast their votes on the World Congress & Security Council thread within the 48 hours leading up to election day, or something like that.

If it is felt that giving third world nation controllers votes in elections would give them too much influence, then an alternative to consider would be simply creating a new Security Council seat, with the third world nations as candidates. In-game nations (but not the third world nations themselves) could then cast the votes to determine who takes this seat.

The chore would more be in relation to those counting the votes. Rather than have each seats votes all on a single screen, they would need to compile the in-game votes with ones on the forum. The suggestion of a sort of "affirmative action" Third World seat is an intriguing proposal and one that I would really support. I would favour a seat in which only Third World nations cast votes and are eligible for election.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:03 am

Remove term limits.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:09 am

jamescfm wrote:Remove term limits.

Agreed.
Aquinas

Return to General