Second active accounts

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Second active accounts

Postby Aethan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:36 am

I'm in favor of this. I used it for a short time and the truth is that it was an interesting experience. Also, as James has stated, I would not like to lose all the effort put into a nation (in my case Selucia) to start from zero in another, but as others have already said, this could be good for the PR as long as it is taken with control
In Marea - Civis Sinistram - Selucia Former
Left Bloc - Istalia
Bright Spring - Kirlawa

PT Wiki Admin
Aethan

Postby jamescfm » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. One thing I want to clarify is the case of players who are established in a nation, I wouldn't want second accounts to serve as a mechanism for someone to essentially party sit in their original nation and just utilise the second account as their primary way of playing the game. Players who want to utilise second active accounts should be using them both- broadly equally- in my view otherwise it just becomes a method for players to entrench their party in one nation.
jamescfm

Postby CCP » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:29 pm

I support this and generally echo Sisyphus's views.

However I think it should be paired with the Political Protocols rules reform so that casual and new players don't find their nations overrun by advanced players pressuring them into RP.
Global Roleplay Committee Chair(until March 2019)
Ity ꜣḥwt xꜣdt, Hawu Mumenhes
Movement for Radical Libertarianism, Talmoria
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
Sizwe Esintsundu Amandla Inhlangano, Ibutho
Christian Communalist Party, Rildanor
CCP

Postby Aquinas » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 am

Short of time right now, but a few points to make about the previous experiment with Authorised Second Active Accounts (ASAAs):

(i) During the early stage, the experiment was limited to RP Team members. In retrospect, I believe this was a misjudgement on my part. It would lead to a significant amount of resentment, much of it directed personally at me (the only active Moderator at the time). I recall having to have several private conversations with players who were concerned about and confused by what was going on. I am inclined to believe any future scheme which gave "special treatment" to selected players would lead to the same issues.

(ii) A large number of players failed to read and follow the very basic procedure governing the experiment, and this made things tedious and time-consuming from an administration point of view. Contrary to the expectations of some, this problem was not just limited to new players or players less involved with forum RP. "RP veterans" were sometimes just as bad.

(iii) Not all participants used both active accounts actively on a reasonably prolonged basis. Some were relatively inactive with both accounts. Others were what I would call "toe-dippers", by which I mean, it appeared they had no real intention of using two active accounts on a prolonged basis, but were simply setting up another account in another nation in order to try to help them decide whether to remain in their current nation or move to the other one.

(iv) There were occasions when you had a player (or players) resenting what another player was doing with their second active account.

(v) I became (and I think Reddy did too) seriously concerned that the policy of permitting second active accounts in certain situations would undermine the game's general stance again unauthorised multi-accounting. If you have a policy which says "No multi-accounting allowed, ever", then that is a very clear and unambiguous policy which everybody understands. However, if you have a policy which says "Multi-accounting is allowed in certain circumstances...", then that "muddies the waters", so to speak, and may encourage less conscientious players to not bother to follow the procedures surrounding authorised multi-accounting. During the experiment, there were cases where players would create an active second account and then inform Moderation as an afterthought, rather than applying for and obtaining authorisation first. There were even cases where players would be caught out doing unauthorised multi-accounting, then protest that they thought what they were doing was within the rules because of the ASAA experiment.
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:36 pm

I'd like to address some of the points you make, Aquinas.

(i) (iv) Literally anything that anybody does at this point will attract resentment from certain players. Avoiding moving the game forward because of that would be pandering to trolls.

(ii) (iii) Both valid points and both underpin my suggestion that this should be a more exclusive scheme than the previous one.

(v) People not following the rules isn't a reason not to make rules in the first place. I don't think it's unfair to expect players to have reasonable reading and comprehension skills as a minimum standard to play the game. People who engage in unauthorised multi-accounting should receive the same sanctions they currently do.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:20 am

jamescfm wrote:(i) (iv) Literally anything that anybody does at this point will attract resentment from certain players. Avoiding moving the game forward because of that would be pandering to trolls.

It is important for the game to be managed in way which retains the confidence of players. As I explained, if second accounts are only allocated to an exclusive group of players, there is a likelihood this will lead to some confusion and resentment.

As I said, during the previous experiment, I did receive some complaints (mainly private, 1 or 2 public) in the first phase, when second accounts were only permitted to RP Team members. I would like to put it on record that I did not (and do not) regard any of those people as "trolls".
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:59 pm

Any update from Moderation on whether this is being considered?
jamescfm

Previous

Return to General