Inactivation rules

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Inactivation rules

Postby Aquinas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:18 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&p=142573#p142573

Zongxian wrote:
Doc wrote:Now. Fix this bullshit about reactivating Parties getting to come back with all their positions in tact so they don't appear out of the mists of centuries past and pick up where they left off. You have two weeks.

Just Kidding, Not Kidding. Seriously, I'm only joking, No I'm not.

I would like to seriously add on to this statement. While I don't think anything can, or even should, be done about the visibilities on old parties, I do think it might be worth considering a rule restricting reactivations a short time ahead of elections, probably no more than 2 or 3 months (8-12 hours).

Under the previous Game Rules (which Moderation has now completely vanquished from public view on the forum) there was a provision which went at least a part of the way towards addressing the issue of parties which reactivate, win seats, then quickly drift off into inactivity again:

8.2.1 In circumstances where a player with above-minimum Visibility levels has just reactivated but then not logged in for 48 hours, and the next election is due within the next 24 hours (6 in-game months), Moderation will inactivate the player's account if this is requested by another player in the nation. The player requesting the inactivation should cite this rule when doing so.
Aquinas

Re: Inactivation rules

Postby Zongxian » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:03 am

I think it would be good for that old rule to be law again.

But reiterating my original quote, I think rules on reactivation should also exist to prevent last-minute election contenders that can easily disrupt active domestic RP. It can produce awkward RP situations when a party shows up out of nowhere and grabs a majority, especially during times when a nation might be having very election-focused RP.
Zongxian

Postby jamescfm » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:11 am

Zongxian wrote:I think it would be good for that old rule to be law again.

But reiterating my original quote, I think rules on reactivation should also exist to prevent last-minute election contenders that can easily disrupt active domestic RP. It can produce awkward RP situations when a party shows up out of nowhere and grabs a majority, especially during times when a nation might be having very election-focused RP.

The problem with this suggestion is that it’s not feasible. Moderation have enough things to do already without having to check the election calendar every time they reactivate a party.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:15 am

My concern is this would impose an undue extra burden on Moderators, obliging them to check election dates before fulfilling reactivation requests. Plus, of course, it would inevitably confuse/annoy players who found their reactivation requests declined/delayed.

If there was some way this whole thing could be automated and made clear, smooth & simple, it would be easier. But that's almost certainly not an option in this case...

Another, more radical/drastic, possibility would be to simply end the system of allowing players to reactivate their accounts, obliging them to create new accounts whenever they want to rejoin. That would solve some issues, but I think we'd find it would be unpopular, especially with players who are used to being able to put in reactivation requests.
Aquinas

Postby Zongxian » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:35 am

Aquinas wrote:

My concern is this would impose an undue extra burden on Moderators, obliging them to check election dates before fulfilling reactivation requests. Plus, of course, it would inevitably confuse/annoy players who found their reactivation requests declined/delayed.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to avoid the creation of an additional step if such a rule were implemented.

On the point of declined/delayed reactivations, the best approach would probably be stating "Party will be reactivated at approx. x date/time following upcoming elections." However, this also has the problem of burdening moderation as they would have to keep track of delaying reactivations so that they are truly reactivated later.
Zongxian

Postby cm9777 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:13 pm

After some discussion with the other mods and Wouter. We’ve decided to add a visibility penalty to reactivated parties. Do note though that due to his development of the new game, it will not happen immediately so please be patient.
cm9777

Postby Auditorii » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:59 pm

cm9777 wrote:After some discussion with the other mods and Wouter. We’ve decided to add a visibility penalty to reactivated parties. Do note though that due to his development of the new game, it will not happen immediately so please be patient.

This is a good move; however “election sniping” is a problem still and I think that the addition of a 24-hour election prevention would be a good idea.

Great work either way!
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Return to General