Keymon Cultural Protocol Discussion

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Keymon Cultural Protocol Discussion

Postby Yolo04 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:55 pm

On the discord server, there has been a discussion concerning the Cultural Protocols of Keymon/Klavia Okeano. Almost everyone has agreed that the Cultural Protocols of Keymon are boring and needs to be changed substantially.

However there is severe disagreement concerning how to create this change and what the new cultural protocol should include.

I personally favor a change in cultural protocol that would make Keymon a Caribbean nation and I would like to see this change backed up by Role Play.

However I’d like to hear everyone’s opinions concerning these two issues.
List of Parties:
Image Keymon, Four Pillars Party (MQP): ACTIVE

Dankuk, Hwanghu Dang Party (4613): INACTIVE
Yolo04

Location: West Virginia, USA (haha country roads jokes are so funny)

Re: Keymon Cultural Protocol Discussion

Postby jamescfm » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:13 pm

My position on Keymon's cultural protocols is based on my overarching opinion of cultural protocols as a whole. Keymon is one of a number of nations which contribute to an absurd and bland cultural makeup of Terra. The current system of cultural protocols doesn't provide a proper framework to fix this problem and I would much favour a system in which Moderation enforce a cultural background for every nation so that we have a more comprehensive cultural backdrop to our role-play. With all of that said, we should make the most of the system we have so that a potential transition is easier. Both Keymon's current culture and a Caribbean culture would contribute to the problem. Terra has potential Caribbean nations in the form of Gaduridos, Baltusia and Kalistan, all three are located across a body of what from western Dovani (where many of Terra's African-based ethnic groups are) and Egelion (our Spain equivalent). I cannot see why Keymon would be a better candidate for the Caribbean than these three nations.

The discussion of cultural protocols has spurred me, once again, to consider a comprehensive approach to culture. I am considering updating my previous attempt to define Terra's culture and then asking players to "sign on" to this characterisation so that we can establish a group of players who share a common universe, as it were. Anyone interested can join my role-play discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/r5Zdtq8
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:02 pm

Yolo04 wrote:On the discord server, there has been a discussion concerning the Cultural Protocols of Keymon/Klavia Okeano. Almost everyone has agreed that the Cultural Protocols of Keymon are boring and needs to be changed substantially.

However there is severe disagreement concerning how to create this change and what the new cultural protocol should include.

I personally favor a change in cultural protocol that would make Keymon a Caribbean nation and I would like to see this change backed up by Role Play.

However I’d like to hear everyone’s opinions concerning these two issues.

Obviously, you would need to go through the usual procedures. Getting the nation declared Culturally Open, getting a Cultural Protocol bill passed & approved...

But FWIW, I like the sound of your proposal. Keymon is one of the few nations I've never played in, but if it was Afro-Caribbean, I might be tempted to give it a go (a prospect which I hope will not put you off too much :lol: ).

Keymon is quite unique, being a small island with only one electoral region, and also being geographically equidistant between Artania and Seleya. I would suggest thinking about the possible theoretical RP opportunities that situation presents. For example, perhaps Keymon could be a disputed territory, with some of the population groups wanting it to join one or more of the neighbouring nations (Likatonia? Malivia? Hawu?) and others wanting it to remain independent.

My other piece of advice, as a veteran of Particracy's interminable discussions about culture, is that you and the other Keymon players should ultimately make your own decision about what direction you wish to take Keymon in. By all means, listen to what us lot have to say, but do not feel obliged to try to accommodate every person with a strong opinion. and do not be too demoralised if, when you try to achieve that goal, it proves impossible.

jamescfm wrote:My position on Keymon's cultural protocols is based on my overarching opinion of cultural protocols as a whole. Keymon is one of a number of nations which contribute to an absurd and bland cultural makeup of Terra. The current system of cultural protocols doesn't provide a proper framework to fix this problem and I would much favour a system in which Moderation enforce a cultural background for every nation so that we have a more comprehensive cultural backdrop to our role-play. With all of that said, we should make the most of the system we have so that a potential transition is easier. Both Keymon's current culture and a Caribbean culture would contribute to the problem. Terra has potential Caribbean nations in the form of Gaduridos, Baltusia and Kalistan, all three are located across a body of what from western Dovani (where many of Terra's African-based ethnic groups are) and Egelion (our Spain equivalent). I cannot see why Keymon would be a better candidate for the Caribbean than these three nations.

The discussion of cultural protocols has spurred me, once again, to consider a comprehensive approach to culture. I am considering updating my previous attempt to define Terra's culture and then asking players to "sign on" to this characterisation so that we can establish a group of players who share a common universe, as it were. Anyone interested can join my role-play discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/r5Zdtq8

Ah, this again...
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Aquinas wrote:Ah, this again...

I would encourage all players to review this thread, if you haven't already. At the time of these proposals, there was a clearly emerging consensus in favour of the reforms made by Moderation but a single player (for the sake of transparency, Phil Piratin is one of Aquinas' many alter egos) prevented those proposals from being carried out. From my perspective, that suggests that these reforms are something we should consider again, given that the overwhelming majority of the active player base came out in favour of their implementation.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:12 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Aquinas wrote:Ah, this again...

I would encourage all players to review this thread, if you haven't already. At the time of these proposals, there was a clearly emerging consensus in favour of the reforms made by Moderation but a single player (for the sake of transparency, Phil Piratin is one of Aquinas' many alter egos) prevented those proposals from being carried out. From my perspective, that suggests that these reforms are something we should consider again, given that the overwhelming majority of the active player base came out in favour of their implementation.

The claims put forward here are patently false and frankly really quite extraordinary. I would have hoped for a more professional response than this from a GRC member.

1. I have previously played as "Bachelot" and "Phil Piratin", and I had genuine and legitimate reasons for choosing to do that at the time, due to harassment issues, of which you are personally fully aware. I do not have "many alter egos".

2. I did not and could not prevent those proposals from being implemented. That was a decision made by the game management, not by me.

3. It is not remotely true that "the overwhelming majority of the active player base came out in favour". By my count, during the public consultation, there were 8 members in favour of the proposal (some of whom were Moderators and RP Team members) and 9 against. According to the then-Moderator FPC, a player survey poll (which was easily cheatable) showed less than 60% were in favour.

My own views on the issues involved have shifted somewhat since the consultation, due to certain factors, although I'd rather not clog this thread up with that.

James, if you want to continue this discussion, I suggest starting a new thread. This thread, hopefully, should now focus on questions/ideas about Keymon.
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:09 am

Unfortunately, I don't have tons of time to dedicate to a response so I will just allow players to read the thread and judge for themselves what the verdict of the community was.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:33 am

jamescfm wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have tons of time to dedicate to a response so I will just allow players to read the thread and judge for themselves what the verdict of the community was.

:lol: No convincing evidence can be found there for the claim an "overwhelming majority" of players supported the proposals. Nor for the conspiracy theory about 1 player in a game of 200+ players somehow being singlehandedly responsible for putting a stopper on the entire thing :lol:.

Returning to Keymon, I'm looking at Keymon on the map, and I'm noticing all of the other nearby islands. There's Suðureyja (Telamon), Jildrath (Kundrati), and Pirland (Likatonia). Further afield, there are some more.

Maybe some of those could be Caribbean island as well? Maybe some of those could be aspiring for independence, just like Keymon...?

Brainstorming off the top of my head here...
Aquinas

Postby Polites » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:11 am

Aquinas wrote:Obviously, you would need to go through the usual procedures. Getting the nation declared Culturally Open, getting a Cultural Protocol bill passed & approved...

Alternatively, you could more easily change the culture by nudging the current Cultural Protocol in your preferred direction. You could redefine Klavians as Latin-speaking Mestizos, for instance, and in a future update replace Latin with Spanish or Portuguese, or even keep Latin and make Keymon a sort of Roman-colonized Caribbean. Since IG the Roman Empire was a 19th century colonial empire. The Culturally Open step has its own advantages, like allowing you to start from scratch with a new CP.
Polites

Postby Yolo04 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:45 pm

Polites wrote:
Aquinas wrote:Obviously, you would need to go through the usual procedures. Getting the nation declared Culturally Open, getting a Cultural Protocol bill passed & approved...

Alternatively, you could more easily change the culture by nudging the current Cultural Protocol in your preferred direction. You could redefine Klavians as Latin-speaking Mestizos, for instance, and in a future update replace Latin with Spanish or Portuguese, or even keep Latin and make Keymon a sort of Roman-colonized Caribbean. Since IG the Roman Empire was a 19th century colonial empire. The Culturally Open step has its own advantages, like allowing you to start from scratch with a new CP.

I do like the Latin-Caribbean idea. That could be unique and wouldn’t required a major RP event to change demographics
List of Parties:
Image Keymon, Four Pillars Party (MQP): ACTIVE

Dankuk, Hwanghu Dang Party (4613): INACTIVE
Yolo04

Location: West Virginia, USA (haha country roads jokes are so funny)

Postby Aquinas » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Polites wrote:Alternatively, you could more easily change the culture by nudging the current Cultural Protocol in your preferred direction. You could redefine Klavians as Latin-speaking Mestizos, for instance, and in a future update replace Latin with Spanish or Portuguese, or even keep Latin and make Keymon a sort of Roman-colonized Caribbean. Since IG the Roman Empire was a 19th century colonial empire.

Full marks for creativity, but this is a bit esoteric, and I am not sure as to how much player interest this would generate. I would be inclined to recommend something simpler and more easier to identify with.
Aquinas

Next

Return to General