Terran Cultural Demographics

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Terran Cultural Demographics

Postby jamescfm » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:26 pm

I was hoping that we could await the outcome of your "complaint" rather than deal with this in such a public manner but for the record, I apologise profusely for my conduct. The thread here has been totally derailed at this point so it would perhaps be best if it were locked by Moderation.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:59 pm

jamescfm wrote:I was hoping that we could await the outcome of your "complaint" rather than deal with this in such a public manner but for the record, I apologise profusely for my conduct. The thread here has been totally derailed at this point so it would perhaps be best if it were locked by Moderation.

CM indicated to me he did not want to deal with my complaint, which is unsurprising, given what the relationships are here.

Your putting the term complaint in speech marks suggests a derisive attitude towards it. This was confirmed when I read the message you sent me on Discord, which makes it clear enough the public apology was not sincere.

Me having to respond to your allegations directly on this thread was my least preferred option, and I had made that clear to CM. You could have chosen to avoid the need for that by retracting your comments, but you refused to do so. CM could also have avoided the need for that by not choosing to remove my complaint post from the forum and thus leaving James' false allegations completely unchallenged.

An important lesson has come out of this, which is that in order for discussions to be meaningful, there must not be unfair pressure applied, particularly from officials of the game. This was a serious problem in the consultation earlier on in the year, which I have to say was the most shamefully conducted consultation exercise I have ever seen in this community. If all of those issues are to be discussed again, those previous mistakes should not be repeated.

On the Keymon thread, I indicated some of my views have changed since the original consultation. Perhaps it would help to put this thread back on track if I say a little about that.

I have, albeit reluctantly, become convinced that Moderators are not able to adequately administrate the Cultural Protocol system as it is currently set up. The existing system, as we know, requires players to submit Cultural Protocol bills, then Moderators to examine them, approve or reject them, and then, where appropriate, update the Cultural Protocols Index, update the Nation Renaming Guide and so on and so forth.

For a long time now, there have been frequently repeated episodes of this process not being correctly administered, and on more numerous occasions than I can count, it has fallen to me to chase Moderation up. The last occasion, I think, was here. I explained my frustration with this situation back in July. At times, I have deliberately refrained from pointing out these errors for significant periods of time, hoping the Moderators would somehow get their act together and sort it all out for themselves. Unfortunately, this did not happen on any of those occasions - each time, the various issues were not corrected until myself or someone else pointed them out.

We have always had the occasional person who advocates abolishing Cultural Protocols altogether. There is a case for doing that. I myself believe that option would be likely to ultimately create more problems than it solved.

I have become persuaded there is now a strong argument for introducing a system which is alike the one proposed earlier in the year, in the sense that the system of approving Cultural Protocol bills would be removed, and instead there would be a Moderation-controlled Base Culture Documents list, outlining the cultural information for each nation. Under the system I am suggesting, there would be consultations held perhaps 2 to 4 times a year, to determine what changes (if any) should be introduced to each nation's culture. There might also be leeway for players to opt-out of this system, and have their nation be Culturally Open, if that is what they prefer.

Where I believe I would differ from James and others from his general viewpoint is that when it comes to deciding cultures, I would like Moderation to be sensitive to the views of the players actually playing in those nations, as opposed to imposing unwanted cultures on them because "this is what makes sense for our cultural map" or "this or that culture is over-represented or under-represented" or "this is what we think is best for the community" or whatever. I believe I would also be more generally hesitant than they are to impose really drastic incursions into the playing space available for English party players.
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:13 pm

jamescfm wrote:I was hoping that we could await the outcome of your "complaint" rather than deal with this in such a public manner but for the record, I apologise profusely for my conduct. The thread here has been totally derailed at this point so it would perhaps be best if it were ̶l̶o̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ removed by Moderation.
jamescfm

Previous

Return to General